Flat Towing 2017 Jeep Wranger 2 Door

Mike Wahl

I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door that I’m looking to set up to flat tow.  I have never had a vehicle set up to flat tow and have some questions.   

1. I have a wench mount in the original front bumper and the plastic cover below the bumper has been changed to steel skid plate.  I’m not sure if this is a Jeep upgrade for the Rubicon or if its an aftermarket.   I’m trying to figure out what I do for tow points on my Jeep.  I’m not sure if I can bolt a universal mount to the metal skid plate, can I get an mounting kit that I can mount behind the skid plate and have holes for the tow bar mounts, do I need to find a different skid plate with tow bar mounts or should I replace the front bumper with one that has built in tow mounts (I like the look of the my current bumper, so this would be my last choice.
  2. I have a 2001 Signature and will probably end up with more than 1 vehicle set up to flat tow.  I have been looking at the air systems and wonder if anyone has any input on the air systems (Roadmaster Brakemaster, M&G or something else), the units with air compressor that run  off the tow vehicle battery (Blue XO Patriot, Brake Buddy or something else) or the Mechanical ones (NSA receiver style).  Wondering if one style system is better than others.   
  3. What kind of towbar.  There are a lot of options from low dollar two bars and a ball  hitch to high end ones.  There are a lot of options and not sure how to decide.
  4. What do I need to look at for a wiring harness for my Jeep.  I have looked and there are several options with ranging prices.  Is there any does and don’ts.
  5. Is it a bad idea to purchase used tow bars and equipment?

I want to make sure I don’t waste money but also want to do it right.  I had three local shops quote the project and have totally different answers.  One suggested I could probably just use holes in the wench bracket to tow from, the second what to replace the whole bumper and the 3rd want to replace the plastic cover with a steel tow plate.  They didn’t look to hard cause I don’t have a plastic cover.  I’m not comfortable with two  of them doing the work and I really don’t want to change bumper.

jeep.png.211223c328dacc6ba9b36c95170092b0.pngJeep2.thumb.png.f8b3d29cac6adca3abc1db1580259106.png

That is a nice bumper…

What I did… (maybe it gives you some ideas).

I replaced the bumper with an aluminum Rockhard 4x4 bumper. Take a look at them. My father &I did all the work ourselves. 
I like this attachment option because the hooks that attach to whatever tow bar I buy are bolted through the bumper and right on the frame. Very Solid!  I use the red D-rings for the safety chains. The tow bar brackets that go below the bumper I felt might get damaged on the trail- and didn’t look great. 

Rockhard4x4 has stubby bumpers like yours. 
7AE85A9B-32FC-4D42-B8ED-2C3F9FB1CB80.thumb.jpeg.b3ed5e711eafb127fd4e4c8c7e109be4.jpeg

(on the right side on top of the bumper you can see the breakaway switch, the left side on top of the bumper is the air supply for AirForce1 brake system, and to the right of the left side red D-ring I’d the light connection- I used a round 6-wire instead of the standard 4-wire because I thought it would be better).

You need to make sure the tow bar is basically level. I used a 2” rise until I lifted my Jeep now it’s a 6” rise (from Roadmaster).

The light kit I got from e-trailer. Simple to install- open the taillights - insert the harness by unplugging light - plug in harness and replug the light. - the hardest part(which is not hard) is running the wires up front. 

The BlueOx tow bar came with the MotorHome. So I used it - unfortunately it failed 20 miles outside of Anchorage. Luckily it failed in such a way that the Jeep was no longer locked on both arms - just one arm. So towing straight & up was fine, but when going downhill the Jeep would hit the Non locked section and bump at the fully compressed part. Hearing strange bumps, I saw the Jeep was out of position- too close and too right side - got pulled over and the only damage was the ruined tow bar. Got a beefier tow bar ordered in 10,000lbs instead of 7500lbs. And it has been working fine since. If you decide to use a used bar be careful. BlueOx recommends servicing annually or so and replacing after 7(???) years. 

Brake system. With the RV came the brake system RVI Brake System 2.  It was discontinued when we bought the rig(the #3 was out). After a few years the display module started dying. So we replaced it with the Air Force 1 brake system. I like the new system much better because it applies the brakes every time I do. - easier to setup and take down. (Did most of the work myself- but had the RV mechanic do the air & brake lines when I had it in for its service).

Be careful and thoughtful about the towing. That is one area you don’t want problems. 

Good Luck!

Edited by Rocketman3
Fixed error

@Mike Wahl mine is similar to what's written above.  I have a bumper from Rockhard 4x4 and wiring from e-trailer.com.

I use a Ready Brute Elite towbar. Been using it since 2019 w no issues.  I've towed a CJ7, 2019 4dr Wrangler and now a Gladiator (rubicon).  I needed to use a hitch riser to make I level. I've been pleased.  Lots of videos and help on those websites to look at.  Didn't have all hooked up in pic below. 

20220827_170821.jpg

20220907_165817.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I don't have toad now. I used to have '16 Jeep JKU. Bumper and winch. Did all myself. I did study very hard all aspects of towing Jeeps.

My opinion, the weak point is where mounting point for bumper, meet the frame rail. I hope you following me... Mounting point. It's to where you bolt the bumper. Take a look yourself.

Its doesn't matter right now what bumper, mounting systems, or even grade of bolts you using...

Jeep, as a modern vehicle meant to take a hit at front collision. So they (FCA) design it that way. Google it! 

You absolutely have to reinforce that area.

No, nothing will fall apart. Many people tow just like that. I know.... But, to DO IT RIGHT, ether weld it solid. OR buy reinforce brackets. 

On the same note, many respected persons in off road communities, DO NOT recommend winching your vehicle from bumper attachments !!! Only from dedicate winch points. 

Again, Im not preaching, just sharing what I have learned over the years. 

I upload pic of mounts Im taking about. 

Good luck and be safe.

Greg

IMG_2517.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2023 at 12:55 PM, Steven P said:

@Mike Wahl mine is similar to what's written above.  I have a bumper from Rockhard 4x4 and wiring from e-trailer.com.

I use a Ready Brute Elite towbar. Been using it since 2019 w no issues.  I've towed a CJ7, 2019 4dr Wrangler and now a Gladiator (rubicon).  I needed to use a hitch riser to make I level. I've been pleased.  Lots of videos and help on those websites to look at.  Didn't have all hooked up in pic below. 

20220827_170821.jpg

20220907_165817.jpg

Nice flat tow bar. Good idea raising the hitch, added bonus: no bottoming out.  That Ready brake unit I use also. Cable direct to the brake pedal from the inertia lever works ok.

• Like 1