Need tutorial on water bay panel removal

Steve P

I need to replace the water hose that the PO cut off when it leaked. I have a layout very similar to what @Gary 05 AMB DST pictured in a recent post, with a Sanicon pump and hose crammed in on the lower right of the bay.

I've worked out where most of the fasteners are, but I don't really know how to get fittings, handles, and the tank level gauge removed and/or out of the way. 

Has anyone produced or stumbled across a video or still picture tutorial of how to do this step-by-step?  I could just jump in and go at it, but inevitably, I will break something and need a more difficult repair as a result.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts on this…

As I recall, I came across a video on YouTube of ‘RV Street’ where he replaced some water lines. Definitely not a Knight but it may be useful.

I tried to find it search for ‘RV Street plumbing’ and found several videos of similar projects. I hope this will be useful to your project.

7 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Still haven't found anything... I'm a searchaholic and I'm tapped out.   Does anyone have any quick pointers? 

NUMBER ONE RULE FOR GETTING GOOD RESPONSES AND HELP….PICTURES 

Seriously, many of us have experience with similar things.  Monaco used a variety of panels and designs that were seemingly custom for one model…and what we know….Monaco recycled down.  So a higher end MH, a few years older, often showed up on a lower end.  If you had linked the “previous picture” post, that would have made your situation easier to visualize.  I have helped folks with Sanicon issues or other plumbing repairs, as have countless other members.

I catch flack for acronyms.  I don’t quite know what you mean by the PO cutoff.  I, as well as others, scan most new posts….if it seems totally “greek” I pass.

Pictures and a better description or reference to what is bad in the photo will likely get you more detailed and hands on experience responses….some will use photoshop or other photo editing and label or circle or use an arrow for clarity and understanding.

Good luck….

59 minutes ago, Mark Underhill said:

PO = previous owner

I agree more descriptive would help   I'm not sure if he's working on the left or right side of the coach.

I'm in agreement on more information, but...... have you ever seen hoses and a water panel on the right side?

What is the interpretation of a water panel?  My tank gauges which are connected to my water panel, which is over the door in the front, and drain hoses from bathroom are all on the right side.

Admittedly I was being a little facetious and am sure he is talking about the water bay, but I will defer to you to answer his questions.

i found most drill screws used to mount things have sharp drill ends and they chew up my hands. second time in i decided to eliminate half of the cover because it could help me with ease of maintenance. i have been rightly told my finish up skill is rough, i agree at times. most Pex plumbing fittings are hand tight . I used a small mirror to discover and remove screws and fittings at times. when i do the repair i try and make the next time easy by modifying, i have owned this knight since 05.  Basic skills and time will get the job done

knight.jpg

knight3.jpg

OK…so, in the picture….the left side was “not needed”.  NOW I get it. 

IF the OP has a full width white panel….then there are only, based my knowledge and the actions of others….TWO solutions.

First, remove the screw from the City/Fill valve (front side).  Totally strip off everything.  Now, Monaco and the assemblers HUFFED & PUFFED and literally bent and bowed the panel and used raw brute strength (with a smidge of stupidity) and got it in place.  They then pushed all the fittings and wiring and such through, from the backside to the front….tied them all down and bingo….complete.

I know one or two that got the panel out and back in.  There are some panels with both Horizontal lips or edges….top or bottom or both….as well as the two vertical lips which have the mounting screws. They notched the horizontal lips or cut them off.  So they could bend the panel side to side or horizontally.  Leaving the horizontal lips or edges in place made the removal almost impossible.

Others just used a saber saw with a shortened or ground off blade and whacked straight up and down in the middle or where convenient.  Two halves or sections….pull out.  They then used mending plates or aluminum strap maybe 3” x 1” and drilled holes and pop riveted….or found a thin white plastic 2 or 3” wide strip and pop riveted it in to cover the new seam…

There ain’t no other in between. Brute force to bend (cutting the top and bottom edges off…if there) and yanking it out….otherwise cut and repair…

The panel in my water bay is full width too.  I just had major surgery 2 weeks ago.  When I can drive to storage, I'll get a pic posted.  My primary concerns are how to get all the valves, fittings, tank levels display, electrical, tank flush fitting, outside sprayer, etc. removed without tearing something up.  Disconnecting things isn't all that obvious... especially if the fittings are on the backside of the panel.  Also, I could go after it with a saw or cutoff wheel and use mirrors and a camera, however, I like the  look and might put the panel back in place with some latches/fasteners.  If memory serves, my panel does have edges and lips turned at 90 degrees to fasten ir tho the wall...

I appreciate the helpful comments so far... please keep 'em coming!

If you manage to bow the panel and get it out.  You then can saw off the 90 degree bends on each end.  Then get some 1 x 1 x 1/16 aluminum angle and mount them to both sides.   Then flush mount the panel back into place.

Edited by astgerma

Getting the panel out and back in is doable. But as others have stated it has to bend a lot to clear the edges of the compartment. I have taken mine out after critters chewed all of my tank sensor wires not one but twice. I’ve added a few pictures that might help. As best as I can remember I started taking all connectors and screws loose from the front then reached around behind the panel and disconnected all the water connections. Try to photograph everything so you can reference them when it comes time to reassemble. Here are a few before, during and after photos. 

IMG_7538.jpeg

IMG_7544.jpeg

IMG_7541.jpeg

67201601527__ADEC1373-ACAB-4C21-86E8-80200FA2BB94.jpeg

67392212338__8133286C-FFD2-45F2-898B-D75496334F37.jpeg

I found a pic of my water bay panel from 2.5 years ago.  Nothing has changed, except I carry the hose parts tub (bottom left) and the utility lamp (bottom center) elsewhere.  The water pump and all the drains and valves are hidden at the bottom left.  Sewer connection is bottom center.  The city water valve is barely visible at the top right.  There seems to be a lot of paraphernalia to detach or remove (much of which I just don't comprehend what holds it in place).  That has to be done before one could even try to flex the panel and remove it.  

I haven't removed the 4 screws to the left of the hose reel slot (upper left).   Does anyone know what those do?

Again, thanks to everyone for the previous patient explanations. At some point I know I have to just break out the tools and dive in, but with my fat fingers, it's always best to prepare.

20201214_161017.jpg

The four screws are just a cover plate for a large opening. It keeps the hose from reeling all the way in. 
I felt the same about the project but it wasn’t as bad as I anticipated. There is a lot of stuff back there though. You can do it! 

Haven’t pulled ours completely out, just enough to get my hand back there. We had a water line vibrating against the plastic (loudly) when water pump was on. Put some armaflex on, might be a good time to do preventative while you’re in there.

Tommy 08 camelot