Spare Fluids

EDITED for clarity…

That’s where I store *some* of that stuff in my Dip.  I do have it in plastic boxes in case something ruptures. Nothing explosive that a *spark from the inverter* might ignite. I store some hydraulic fluid, antifreeze, and grease in there. No diesel or other fuel; no propane containers (!); no spray cans, etc.

Please note I also have an automatic Halon Fire extinguisher in there that was formerly in my refrigerator compartment  

Your mileage may vary. 🤣

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JeffM31 said:

Good morning. Is there any issue storing  oil, tranny fluid, etc in the inverter cabinet? It just makes sense to me to have the spare stuff in the rear storage compartment. Thank you 

As an Ex Safety Director and an my own experience plus seeing pictures of a minor accident…..this is what myself and others recommend.  Scotty is correct.  I know where he got the extinguisher from….ME…

I do NOT store any liquids, flammable or NOT, in my Inverter or the Front run electrical bay.  That is a personal safety hazard as random sparks or such from a high resistance cable connection are possible.  This is 12 VDC.  The inverter will be drawing 167 A when fully loaded (2000 watt output) or normally up to 100 A when bulk charging.  So there’s a definite spark risk. The length of an electric will vary, but this is quite a high current, low voltage load.

Next, select the plastic container or “CONTAINMENT BOX” carefully.  I acquired a fairly small, blow molded DOUBLE WALL small pickup tool box.  It is a single, conventional lift up model ….  Not the usual double ended two lid kind.  That is “double wall” containment (interior and exterior are separate) and is the EPA/OSHA required construction.  It fits nicely and I pullout or slide trays on rollers.  May not work for all….but that is the recommended logic and type of container.  NOT vapor escape proof, but I trust it.  It also will prevent a mess for a leaky plastic jug or whatever that vibrates around and was never meant to be loose in a MH bay.

See the picture below.  Miracle that a fire or explosion didn’t happen when the MH ROLLED into the concrete abutment…..note all the various liquids scattered about.  They were in the FRB or a HIGH CURRENT environment….. Could have been way worse…,!!

IMG_0927.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

As an Ex Safety Director and an my own experience plus seeing pictures of a minor accident…..this is what myself and others recommend.  Scotty is correct.  I know where he got the extinguisher from….ME…

I do NOT store any liquids, flammable or NOT, in my Inverter or the Front run electrical bay.  That is a personal safety hazard as random sparks or such from a high resistance cable connection are possible.  This is 12 VDC.  The inverter will be drawing 167 A when fully loaded (2000 watt output) or normally up to 100 A when bulk charging.  So there’s a definite spark risk. The length of an electric will vary, but this is quite a high current, low voltage load.

Next, select the plastic container or “CONTAINMENT BOX” carefully.  I acquired a fairly small, blow molded DOUBLE WALL small pickup tool box.  It is a single, conventional lift up model ….  Not the usual double ended two lid kind.  That is “double wall” containment (interior and exterior are separate) and is the EPA/OSHA required construction.  It fits nicely and I pullout or slide trays on rollers.  May not work for all….but that is the recommended logic and type of container.  NOT vapor escape proof, but I trust it.  It also will prevent a mess for a leaky plastic jug or whatever that vibrates around and was never meant to be loose in a MH bay.

See the picture below.  Miracle that a fire or explosion didn’t happen when the MH ROLLED into the concrete abutment…..note all the various liquids scattered about.  They were in the FRB or a HIGH CURRENT environment….. Could have been way worse…,!!

IMG_0927.jpeg

I think I will put it all in the slide out tray. Thank you guys 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JeffM31 said:

I think I will put it all in the slide out tray. Thank you guys 

Make sure you use a containment “vessel”.  Double wall like mine or a good sturdy one with a locking or snap on cover….and obviously NOT in the one with the inverter unless you gave a sprinkler head style protection 

• Like 1