'05 Diplomat DST - All 3 slides stopped responding to wall switches

Go to solution Solved by bklaes,

The salesman switch solenoid is by-passed.   Everything else seems to be working fine.   I'm plugged in to 50amp.   It's in neutral.  Park brake on and idiot light behaving.   My bays don't have lock-out switches.

What I've tried today:

Reading the owners manual and other posts here.  Much of it got over my head pretty quick.

I checked the slide-out relay module located in the battery compartment  - a good 5 amp fuse and the 20 amp auto-reset circuit breaker is working.  

The S/O fuses in the rear distribution panel (containing the 110v circuit breakers) are good.

Fuses in the front run bay under the driver: the IGN LOCK OUT, SLIDE-OUT RELAY, and three S/O PWR are all good. 

One note - I just got back from a 3,000 mi trip.  Slides worked great, but the Cummins 400 was running hotter than usual so when I go home I did the Simple Green in a garden sprayer trick, from the inside out.  I rinsed the radiator with a garden hose, through the rear floor access hatch in the closet.  Maybe I tripped something while spraying?

Edited by bklaes
clarity

Are all slides electric or hydraulic? If hydraulic, there is a relay switch on the hydraulic pump motor. Usually located up front in front of steps. If all switches are inoperable, then problem is common to all three switches. If electric, then a volt meter is your friend. Need to start tracing power until you find the problem. Hope this helps.

25 minutes ago, bklaes said:

Slides are electric.  The volt meter is my friend, but reading wiring diagrams is not in my bag of tricks.  Maybe it will be soon.

Without delving through and hunting your prints, scan or take a photo of your slide control print and post. Most of us are “generally” familiar with the circuit.  You are well versed.  Based on my recollection as well as pulling literally dozens of prints to help someone like you, you need to start with the switches.  Typically the center terminal of each switch will have 12 VDC when all the conditions are met.  You stated them….parking brake ON.  Ignition switch off.  If you don’t have that power, not gonna work.  Use your VOM….no power to the center switches….no operate.  Some folks will steal or hook up a jumper from a nearby 12 VDC (working of course) source….then remove the incoming switch power….typically that power comes in to one center terminal and is daisy chained or continues to the next and then, if there is another (3rd slide) switch.  Measure.  No voltage, use a temporary source and do what you have to for unloading but then start chasing back, from the print where the power comes from

22 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

...  take a photo of your slide control print and post. Most of us are “generally” familiar with the circuit.  ...  Some folks will steal or hook up a jumper from a nearby 12 VDC (working of course) source….then remove the incoming switch power….

Tom,

Two sets of prints, close to my coach but not exact, were downloaded.   I can't locate anything relating to slide-outs on either set.  I'll try stealing a 12 VDC source later today, as you suggested.

7 hours ago, bklaes said:

Tom,

Two sets of prints, close to my coach but not exact, were downloaded.   I can't locate anything relating to slide-outs on either set.  I'll try stealing a 12 VDC source later today, as you suggested.

This one is for a hydraulic….but where the power comes from and the circuits are similar.  Yes….try a different voltage source.  Later today i might see if I can  find the one for you.

2001%20-%203%20Front%20Hydraulic%20Slide%20wiring%20Diagram.pdf

I only have 2 slides

Here is the page out of my electrical diagrams.  When you open it it will be blurry, hit CTRL5 and it will clear right up.  I put sticky notes for the wiring and sense wire.

I looked at my wiring diagram and it shows that the board gets a signal from the ignition and it also goes to the Steps/ISO/Vac Sense  It is a 7.5 amp fuse #33 in my drivers side front electrical bay.  It also provides a signal to the front steps and to my generator slide which is electric and uses the same control board as the main slides. 

This may be the wire that controls the ignition disable relay on the control board.  On my control board this relay is right next to the 5 amp fuse and is shown on the wiring schematic

My slide control board gets it power from the salesman switch relay, heavy gauge wiring going right to the board, you may check connections there.  It also has ground wire that attaches to the common ground buss bar in the rear compartment, may want to check that. 

I had a problem with my slides not working, in my case one of the door inhibitor switches was grounded out and it kept blowing the 5 amp fuse.  The switches looked good.  I finally found the problem by disconnecting the wiring harness from the slide control board and checking each wire to ground and finally found what circuit was causing the problem and it reinspected the inhibitor switches and found the bad one.

2002_Windsor_wiring_diagrams Rear Passenger side electric.pdf

• Solution

Good News.  Problem solved.  Very low tech.

When any of the three S/O buttons on the system panel was pressed, I could hear a faint buzzing coming from the Slide-Out Relay Module box, located in the battery compartment.  I unplugged both of the Molex connectors, sprayed with DeoxIT, then reseated both and all is well again. 

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.