Washer/Dryer vs A/C Load Shed

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

2 hours ago, Bob R said:

Well I found the load controller location. It was in a small compartment adjacent to the closet on the passenger side of the RV. The controller was impossible to access in that location. With much difficulty I was able to remove the front cover of the switch. This allowed the controller to be removed from the tight space that it was mounted in. I checked the output voltage to the AC and found no voltage on that output no matter the status of the washer/dryer. So I have ordered a new switch. I hope this takes care of this problem.

I owe a lot of thanks to all of you who contributed your input and suggestions as well as encouragement. I don’t think I would have persevered without it.

Tom C, I especially appreciate the information that you provided. It will serve me well in the future.

You are most welcome.  The mission or charter of the group is to help others….and more IMPORTANTLY….Learn so THEY can help a whole lot more folks.  That is what I and many others enjoy.  Glad it worked out….just remember the rule.  NO REAR AC if you or DW are doing laundry.  That would’ve saved more folks than I can count a lot “searching” and $$!

Both areas are on the passenger side of the RV. The closet is between the w/d and the circuit breaker panel. The compartment that the switch was in was 4 in wide x 3 in deep. The switch itself is about 3 x 4. There in was the problem. The space appeared not to be large enough for this switch. In fact I missed this nitch when I was searching for the switch. It was fairly well hidden and very difficult to access.

Any chance you have a photo of the 4 by 3 inch compartment where you found it.? When I look inside that closet I don't see anything like what you are describing. I o have a removable access panel on the left side that allows you to get into and behind the Splendide Washer/Dryer for hoses and dryer vent, etc.

Sounds like your Countess is completely different than mine.  Why am I NOT surprised!

10 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Any chance you have a photo of the 4 by 3 inch compartment where you found it.? When I look inside that closet I don't see anything like what you are describing. I o have a removable access panel on the left side that allows you to get into and behind the Splendide Washer/Dryer for hoses and dryer vent, etc.

Sounds like your Countess is completely different than mine.  Why am I NOT surprised!

The access door behind the w/d allows access to the back of it. There is maybe a 3 in space between the w/d back and the wall behind. There is a jb back there that I assumed would be the switch. So I pulled the w/d out about one foot and found only the jb. So that’s when my search began. I opened all of the hidden hatches that I could find with no success. I gave up for a while. Then I decided this switch had to be somewhere between the power panel and the w/d. That’s when I found this space that is a wire way from the ceiling down to the floor. The space is very limited in cross section (3 x4) and from the floor to the ceiling. I’ll get a picture and include it with my next post.

1 hour ago, Bob R said:

The access door behind the w/d allows access to the back of it. There is maybe a 3 in space between the w/d back and the wall behind. There is a jb back there that I assumed would be the switch. So I pulled the w/d out about one foot and found only the jb. So that’s when my search began. I opened all of the hidden hatches that I could find with no success. I gave up for a while. Then I decided this switch had to be somewhere between the power panel and the w/d. That’s when I found this space that is a wire way from the ceiling down to the floor. The space is very limited in cross section (3 x4) and from the floor to the ceiling. I’ll get a picture and include it with my next post.

7BC13D09-8C53-4A5A-9443-BBE238E62110.jpeg

66CDB9B5-72C5-4EB3-B0B0-FD2866350587.jpeg

Crazy how we have the same model and all built around the same time and yet this box is in very different locations. Mine has a build date of September 05 although it’s classified as an 06. Richard you will probably find yours in a completely different location.

Mike, I have that same storage cabinet just to the right of the closet. However, that panel in not removable as there is a shelf half way up that had been added plus there are no screws or pin nails/staples in the panel that would allow easy removal of the panel.

My load shedding switch appears to be working however, we seldom use the middle AC as we don't hang around in really hot climates requiring the use of all three AC's.

My wife does use the washer/dryer more than we use the middle AC.

18 hours ago, Georgia Mike said:

Well that’s another difference between ours, mine is tied to the rear ac which we always have on so it’s kind of a pain when my wife wants to do laundry, we have to shut the rear air off.

Our rear AC is also shared with the W/D. We use this AC more than the other two.

@Georgia Mike @Bob R

Well guys, I miss-spoke. After checking the main power circuit breaker panel I found that the labeling stated that the rear AC and washer/dryer are ones being load shared, not the middle AC. My error.

However, with a little ingenuity I would bet that you could switch the Romex coming off the main circuit breaker panel for the rear AC and swap it with the one for the middle AC.

I am going to try that myself.

Well, after thinking about my proposal above attempting to swap the Romex cables at the circuit breakers, that will not work as the place where the Romex cables need to be switched is at the output side of the Intellitec Load Sharing device.

Depending on where my load sharing device is located will determine whether that is feasible or not.

1 minute ago, Dr4Film said:

Well, after thinking about my proposal above attempting to swap the Romex cables at the circuit breakers, that will not work as the place where the Romex cables need to be switched is at the output side of the Intellitec Load Sharing device.

Depending on where my load sharing device is located will determine whether that is feasible or not.

SAD, but TRUE.  The single breaker sends power OUT (one piece of Romex) to where ever the AES or what it is called...  RESIDES.  There ain't NO OTHER Romex back there.  It is the Breaker IN and then Rear AC or WD OUT.  So, you gotta get to the device.  BUT, there have been a LOT of suggestions, assuming one is a bit of a tinkerer or also a "MAD" Thomas Edison. One COULD replace the AES with a DPDT (one normally closed set of contacts) and a switch.  I ran this by one of OUR Gurus.  IF you used 12 VDC then you could use a Bosch 30 A relay.  BUT, is the BOSCH contacts rated for 120 and 20 AMP?  OR you could find a 120 VAC Relay with 20 A (inductive load) contact or higher and then replace the AES with a manually switched relay.

NC or NOT energized....the Rear AC.  ENERGIZED....then the WD.  SO, you are in control and have the power to manually select. BUT, it depends on WHERE it is and if you can mount a switch, and have it look nice and label it.  IF SO, that seems to be the only way.  OF COURSE...if you can easily get to AES and where the cables are...

Purchase a 20 Amp Inline Female Receptacle and TWO Male plugs.  You just unplug from AC and plug into WD when you do laundry....