Washer/Dryer vs A/C Load Shed

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

My load shed system controlling the w/d and the A/C unit has failed (or my A/C unit has failed). The w/d is operating as normal but the A/C will not operate when the w/d is not running. The A/C will not run in any situation. I have tried to locate the Intellec controller with no luck. I have removed the circuit breaker panel covers and the controller is not in that area. I have looked in the washer/dryer cabinet and see a gray device box but cannot read the nameplate. It is not accessible. It is mounted on the cabinet wall behind the w/d. It has been too hot to climb up on the roof to check the A/C unit. So I thought I’d start with the controller.
Is there a standard location for this device?

This problem is in my 2005 Dynasty Countess lll. The shore power is 50A. No circuit beakers are tripped.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Bob

I have a lower spec Monaco but assume the Intellitec load shedding board is adjacent to the breaker switches. You will have to remove the cover plate that surrounds the breaker switches.

The problem is that the boards have been known to go bad, including mine. You can remove it, after confirming it is faulty, and sending it to M&M for repair. Alternatively, buy a new board 

Can you take pictures of the device? Perhaps a selfie stick to get the phone in there.

With access to the breaker panel you can at least see if there is voltage going out the appropriate breakers.

Having the load shedding device outside of the main breaker panel is new to me so will be following this for the new information to learn.

The load shedding board on mine lies on its side along the right inside my breaker panel. 

When I first purchased our rig (2008 Dynasty), the bedroom a/c would not work due to a load shedding issue. This took awhile for the previous owner to diagnose, but the intellitech control box was the guilty culprit. We purchased the rig with full disclosure of the issue, and I replaced the intellitech control box myself to resolve the problem. In my rig, the faulty control box was located in the rear wardrobe on the passenger side behind the door inside the closet where there is a wall full of electrics. The intellitech box at fault was on the lower right side as you face the interior of the panel. It was a simple and direct replacement, and we have had zero issues since replacing the part, which cost about 85.00 at the time.

Perhaps your rig is set up similarly? Just offering my experience.

John

• Solution

You are on the right track.  Just to set the record straight, I doubt you have the Intellitec EMS like there is on the LaPalma.  The Dynasty and up never, or to the best of my knowledge used them. Some Windsors did and a host of lower ends.  So….i am apprehensive about that.

Next….put this is AMAZON.  .Intellitec 00-00714-000 Auto Energy Selector Module

That is what you have, 100% confidence.  Look at the picture.  It is NOT on the roof or inside an HVAC duct.  It is in, sometimes behind a panel near the main breaker, or similar location to the main panel.  If you don’t see it, then start removing any thin panels…#2 square drive head.

Somewhere, in my memory….dangerous….I remember a poster saying his was under the bed or thereabouts.  Your prints will have it.  Scour the prints and find it.  Monaco on some models with more electrical devices that Edison could envision, put in multiples if you had electric cook tops or fireplaces.  It IS on a print and usually a note as to where….

BTW….not aimed at you, but for general information.

You can NOT get around the device.  It has one power lead in from the Rear AC/WD breaker.  It has two power out….normally closed to the Rear AC (memory) but when you turn on the WD, it “senses” a load and then turns OFF the rear AC.  We get folks that think there is a thermostat or power or whatever HVAC problem as they are not aware that the device exists.  There is also a NOTE in the owners manual.  It says, in effect.  TURN OFF THE REAR AC while using the WD.  What happens is that a normal WD load will cycle on and off resulting in multiple quick, high current loads…..this switch is not supposed to cycle like that or that quickly. That happens if you leave the rear AC ON.  That constant switching and abuse kills them.  We have many folks that have never had an issue….because they knew how to properly run their WD.  Likewise, we have had many folks that once they replaced one and followed the correct procedure….never an issue.  Most blame a “poor design”, but in reality, it was never meant to be a high current ON OFF switch.  In addition, whenever you run both, the contacts are switched at a high current, thus, they burn up. 

Also, unfortunately, even if you wanted to put in a high current DPDT selector switch or temporarily bypass….you gotta find it to do that.  Nothing can be done upstream or downstream to get AC….

Keep us posted.  You WILL find it….and a picture would be great as to where it is….

22 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

That's an impressive display, very organized and neat.   What is it? 

That, my curious friend, is the MPX or muktiplex cabinet for a Dynasty.  There is a CPU (Central Processing Unit” or what folks that are familiar with CNC (google it) machine tools call the PLC.  Programmable Logic Controller.  It then send coded (Muliplexed) digital signals to at least 5 modules.  Each module has 10 outputs.  Some are relay (toggle ON/OFF) like a pump controller.  Others are Dimmers….you hold down a light switch, rather than just pushing ON….there is a Pulsed Band Width signal that is changed.  The longer the Pulse is ON (think square wave), the brighter the light….  These replaced all the conventional rheostat dimmers.

Go to the search.  Put in Intellitec.  Select FILES from the drop down.  Frank McElroy wrote a piece on them.  My Camelot has the “mini” system.  Only 3 big modules and an itty bitty brain that is maybe the size of a baseball.  Now you know….

Guest Ray Davis

I like rheostats myself.   Truthfully,  I kinda knew what it was,  although I haven't ever seen one,  now I have.

9 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

I like rheostats myself.   Truthfully,  I kinda knew what it was,  although I haven't ever seen one,  now I have.

No doubt….but you need a complex circuit to turn on or off a light from 3 locations….as well as dim it from any.  i had an electrician that was a supervisor in my maintenance department and one of his past big projects was wiring the “Firestone Mansion” in Southern Pines, NC.  Probably in the mid 60’s.  That entire God only knows how many rooms estate was 100% low voltage wiring and relays.  He spent time sketching out how it worked.  Today, it would be CPU/PLC controlled and MPX’ed like the Intellitec.  I have had an issue, but the convenience of multiple switches and diming and such outweighs my old school thinking….

BUT, I will not “build a smart house”….go figure….

Bob R I have an 06 Countess and I found mine the other day by accident running some wires. It’s in the overhead cabinet above rear bed on the passenger side. You have to remove the inside panel in the cabinet on the outside wall to access it. 

411792A0-4183-4BC1-82C6-8B0F64F4D577.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia Mike said:

Bob R I have an 06 Countess and I found mine the other day by accident running some wires. It’s in the overhead cabinet above rear bed on the passenger side. You have to remove the inside panel in the cabinet on the outside wall to access it. 

Hi Mike, thanks for this information. I didn’t even think of looking in this area for this switch! It makes sense for it to be there since the power panel is right there next to it. I didn’t realize that there was a space behind this wall that might house this. I’ll look when my wife lets me have access to the bedroom. If this is the location I’ll owe you a debt of gratitude. I thought I would have to take the W/D out of its cabinet.  I’m not sure what the box behind the washer is if it isn’t the load switch. 
Thanks for this information!

On 7/14/2023 at 7:52 AM, Georgia Mike said:

Mike,

Is that the same cabinet where the two grey power panels are located? Did you remove the entire panel or just one of the grey power panels?

No not the power cabinet. It’s inside the rear cabinet above the bed. Open the cabinet door above the bed on the passenger side and remove the panel that’s there. It is right next to power panel on our model. Forget the air vent it’s just a picture I found that shows the cabinet

A21F4F3D-0FC5-4578-B214-C9C8D141F7B8.jpeg

Edited by Georgia Mike

2 hours ago, Georgia Mike said:

No not the power cabinet. It’s inside the rear cabinet above the bed. Open the cabinet door above the bed on the passenger side and remove the panel that’s there. It is right next to power panel on our model. Forget the air vent it’s just a picture I found that shows the cabinet

A21F4F3D-0FC5-4578-B214-C9C8D141F7B8.jpeg

Hi Mike, thanks for the photo. I have examined that cabinet and removed the removable wall. The only thing inside that space is the DC wiring harness going to the House DC fuse panel on that wall.

I have searched all spaces that seem to be candidates for a mounting spot. I only have two more panels to check. There is a space behind the bedroom TV that is accessible from the bathroom medicine cabinet. And there is a space behind the vertical food pantry in the hall between the kitchen and the bedroom. If I don’t find it there I am at a loss. 

Bob,

The Location is in your prints.  Probably about 3/4 of the way into the prints or the wiring diagrams.  The attached PDF is from a 2005 Executive.  BUT>>>Look at the note.  This print was released for the Dynasty.  The print is labeled as Schematic - Power Management AE  Multi Use...  Dwg 38031173.  In the Executive manual is is right after a schematic of the receptacles.  The one after it says Dishwasher...that may NOT be in your book, but this one has to be.  It is for all models in 2005.  Find it for a better view or reading.

Then, go start the chase again....  IT IS THERE.  I saw the schematic on the main panel.  There is a J-Box where all the wires come out and go to the AES.

Good Luck...let us know... 

Intellitec AES location - 2005 Dynasty & UP.pdf

14 hours ago, Bob R said:

Hi Mike, thanks for the photo. I have examined that cabinet and removed the removable wall. The only thing inside that space is the DC wiring harness going to the House DC fuse panel on that wall.

Man, I can’t believe how different the wiring is on the same model from one year to the next. You would think they would keep the wiring prints   for the same model instead of drawing up new ones to keep costs down if the interior stayed the same. On our model it seems like a logical place to have it next to the breaker panel because that’s where all the feeds come to. Hope you find it. 

On 7/15/2023 at 4:15 PM, Tom Cherry said:

Bob,

The Location is in your prints.  Probably about 3/4 of the way into the prints or the wiring diagrams.  The attached PDF is from a 2005 Executive.  BUT>>>Look at the note.  This print was released for the Dynasty.  The print is labeled as Schematic - Power Management AE  Multi Use...  Dwg 38031173.  In the Executive manual is is right after a schematic of the receptacles.  The one after it says Dishwasher...that may NOT be in your book, but this one has to be.  It is for all models in 2005.  Find it for a better view or reading.

Then, go start the chase again....  IT IS THERE.  I saw the schematic on the main panel.  There is a J-Box where all the wires come out and go to the AES.

Good Luck...let us know... 

Intellitec AES location - 2005 Dynasty & UP.pdf 238.12 kB · 7 downloads

I found the drawing  a few days ago. It indicates the switch is in one of three places. The circuit breaker panel, behind the w/d or under the bed.NOT SO. I looked in each of these plus about 5 more places. So far not found. I’ll continue tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Bob R said:

I found the drawing  a few days ago. It indicates the switch is in one of three places. The circuit breaker panel, behind the w/d, in the TV compartment or under the bed.NOT SO. I looked in each of these plus about 5 more places. So far not found. I’ll continue tomorrow.

Just now, Bob R said:

…4 places…

Well I found the load controller location. It was in a small compartment adjacent to the closet on the passenger side of the RV. The controller was impossible to access in that location. With much difficulty I was able to remove the front cover of the switch. This allowed the controller to be removed from the tight space that it was mounted in. I checked the output voltage to the AC and found no voltage on that output no matter the status of the washer/dryer. So I have ordered a new switch. I hope this takes care of this problem.

I owe a lot of thanks to all of you who contributed your input and suggestions as well as encouragement. I don’t think I would have persevered without it.

Tom C, I especially appreciate the information that you provided. It will serve me well in the future.