2009 Camelot Valid Auto Leveling system questions

Pulled into campsite and pressed auto level.  System leveled coach, turned engine off for duration.  next morning all air has gone from system and red  LED'S are lit for not level.  I thought we had a 12v compressor that constantly supplied the leveling system while parked.  I'm thinking we may have a fuse blown in line with that compressor or possibly another issue with it.  Where could I locate this fuse to begin my diagnostics.  Jon

18 minutes ago, Jon sweet said:

I know where the 12v compressor is, passsenger front next to the generator.  I'm looking for the fuse

You and I have the same rig and year.  Couple of comments for you.  

shinny, if you can, under the MH in front of the step.  There is an airline with two terminals.  That is a ON at 90 & OFF at 120 PSI switch.  Odds are, it is corroded and the problem.  Use a paper clip or pull one and hold the two together to make contact.  My reaction, after owning (bought it new) was…WHAT IS THAT NOISE?  That will tell you if there is power to the compressor.

IF NO NOISE….use a test light or VOM and measure voltage to a good ground from each terminal.  No voltage….a fuse.  The fuse will be in the front left electrical bay.  There should be a paper in there with the legend or what each fuse does.

if NOT….

There is an index in the front that I made up.  There is one drawing that has the legend.  Keep these….they will be almost weekly reading…. LOL.

NOW, many folks actually don’t use that “always on” auto level.  The MH gremlins come out at night and make sure the air compressor comes on around 3:30 AM.  Amazon sells the OEM switch.  It is a VIAIR.  PM me and I’ll send a link, but if you put “VIAIR pressure switch” into the search and read…it will pop up.  Do NOT buy the all weather model.  It is the contacts inside.  The contacts are the same.  VIAIR told me that.  NOW, make sure you pull orvpush the air fitting slightly ABOVE the compressor.  Mine just hung, in error, down.  Died before they sold the rig.

NEXT UP.  This is what many or perhaps the majority do.  Drive to the site.  Leave the engine on.  You will be at “Travel Height” or level.  Deploy the slides.  I usually drop the air out….air dump 4 corners.  Then I manually level.  You can also use the AUTO  button.  I do that as my theory is that the lower the better.  My wife has had a bad knee for years….just recovering from a new joint.  That keeps the step lower for her.  From experience as a Retired Safety Director and moderating the old site and this one for over 12 years, i also know the step motor will eventually fail and not lock in.  Yes….that happened to us.  If my wife had been stepping out and the step started to retract, she would have fallen.  My GD has better reflexes and it was not a problem.

OK….NOW, you are level.  Shut off the engine.  Again, this is how another well versed Moderator does his exact system….same as yours.  We turn OFF the system.  We never have a droopy corner nor does the level change.  BUT, depending on low long and how hot it is, it is NOT unusual for the “LOW AIR” alarm to go off and the air compressor turns on and pumps up the system when we get ready to leave.  There are always minute leaks.  But we know that they are well below the FMVSS DOT limit and we have a “good” braking system.

That’s it….others will differ, but this works for us….  Good luck.  My “nickel” bet is on the switch….assuming the compressor is OK….

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2009 Camelot Valid Auto Leveling system questions

If I remember correctly, when our air switch on auxiliary compressor went bad I checked for voltage. There was none, but new switch fixed it ,that’s odd. Our switch breaks ground not power. Another lesson learned.

Tommy 08 camelot tag 

32 minutes ago, TommyL said:

If I remember correctly, when our air switch on auxiliary compressor went bad I checked for voltage. There was none, but new switch fixed it ,that’s odd. Our switch breaks ground not power. Another lesson learned.

Tommy 08 camelot tag 

Fascinating.  I just jumped and it went “brrrrrrrmmmmmm” followed by my “what’s that noise”.  I don’t know if it is on a print, but I don’t doubt you….will see… thanks.

The switches often go bad from moisture, there is no water seperator in the small compressor circuit. I installed a 1/4" auto drain seperator first thing off the compressor and haven't had a problem in 4 years. Something to think about.