City Horn??

deputylynch

Your air horn is activated by an electrical switch on the Smart steering wheel which electrically activates an air valve.

I use my horn anywhere it is needed especially on the freeways or for the millions of stupid drivers on our roads.

• Like 1

I do not believe I have ever seen or heard an electric horn on a Monaco coach. Only the roof mounted air horns. 
     To Dr4Films’ point, I have installed a train horn in my last two coaches for the “stupid drivers”. It may not be legal however the level of satisfaction when I use it is well worth the risk.  
safe travels. 

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2023 at 8:25 AM, deputylynch said:

Can somebody please explain to me whether I have a regular electric horn that is switchable from the air horns since in the owner's manual it indicates it but I have no idea how to switch over?

05 Monaco Diplomat 

PXL_20230717_014942114.jpg

I had to blow up you manual (downloaded it).  Also had to pull the 2006 prints (no 2005).  This is MY take.  You, if the wheel is the same as in the picture, have TWO different Horn Buttons on the wheel.  The TOP (BIG Section with the circle) is the AIR HORN or the Scare the Beans out of them blast....  The lower bar is the electric or dinky CITY Horn....  My VIP (2009 Camelot does NOT have that.  It only has ONE big center piece...or if it has the lower separate bar, it escapes my memory and I have  NOT see a little "Horn Symbol" on mine.  

SO....if your steering wheel has the TWO bars....push each and see (ignition on).  

NOW....there WERE some Monaco's with a selector switch.  Like the old 1962 Pontiac Station Wagon that I drove that was converted to an EMS Ambulance.  We had a switch....Siren or Horn.  The ground circuit from the steering wheel was either sent to the Siren or the standard Beep Beep horn.  

Some ENTERPRISING folks, maybe here or on another site, wired in a Beep Beep horn to the Horn Relay.  They had nerves of steel and reflexes of Superman....  LOL.  They perfected the "BEEP BEEP" skill of "bumping the horn button....for a fraction of a second.  The horn relay would energize and so would the airhorn solenoid....but there was a minute, almost imperceptable pause or lag, in the air pressure.  SO, they got a BEEP and then let off.  

I don't think my still "Lightning Fast" (LOL) reflexes are that good....

I think this explains it....from the research and also my knowledge of the wiring diagrams....plus looking at your wheel picture and the diagrams.  

Try it.  Let us KNOW...  This is not the typical VIP Smart wheel that we, or at least I, see today....

I have the Smart Wheel as pictured in my manual and nowhere is there a switch that I can find to switch from anything but the air horn. The only horn activation is on the horn bar shown underneath with the horn on it.

Hitting the main body of the steering wheel does nothing.

I've found many problems in the owner's manual such as in/out switch for my exhaust fans and the drainage valve for the rear air tank. 

• Like 1