Generator Starting Issues - 2000 Diplomat - FIXED - SAVED $$$$

Robert U

Tried to start generator a couple days ago and it just made a clicking noise.

I have a 2000 Dip which uses the house batteries to start generator. When I tried to start it all I got was a click. I then used the boost switch and it started right up. I checked the battery voltage and it was 13.6 volts. These are 8 years old Trojan T-105 so I went to Batteries Plus and got a quote of $169 each. OUCH!!! I decided to  rotate the house 12v on/off switch and try starting it again. I t started right up. Moral of the story is check bad connections and on/off switchs before you leap !!! 

Hope this saves you some money.

Bob U 2000 Dip

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Generator Starting Issues - 2000 Diplomat - FIXED - SAVED $$$$
9 minutes ago, Robert U said:

I have a 2000 Dip which uses the house batteries to start generator. When I tried to start it all I got was a click. I then used the boost switch and it started right up. I checked the battery voltage and it was 13.6 volts. These are 8 years old Trojan T-105 so I went to Batteries Plus and got a quote of $169 each. OUCH!!! I decided to  rotate the house 12v on/off switch and try starting it again. I t started right up. Moral of the story is check bad connections and on/off switchs before you leap !!! 

Bob U 2000 Dip

Good deal.  23 YO switches will act up.  Might get 2 spares.  Cheap and handy.  Most common cause of genny not starting, with good batteries….corroded ground stud on neutral.  Chase the negative cables on house and chassis. Loosen & clean.  BTW. REMEMBER that your power for the boost comes FROM the house. If you totally lost house, you ain’t got no power to energize the boost solenoid.  Always have a jumper cable handy.  Just do the positives.  Start the Genny if Chassis dead.  Jumper them.  Run for 30 minutes. If chasis are down a little, then that restores.  Then, genny running, start the engine.  Safer than jump starting.

Conversely…even weak Chassis should the Genny. Once running, a jumpered set will charge both….

20 hours ago, Robert U said:

Bob U 2000 Dip

Costco if you have one, I paid $104.. Interstate