Jeep Cherokee Under hood fuse.

Jeff H

Hello

We have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee for a Toad.  There is a switch under the hood that is used as a switch.  This does not seem like the best idea (installing/removing the fuse will cause wear and is a bit of a pain)  

Has any one installed a switch under hood or in the cabin?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 3:51 PM, Jeff H said:

Hello

We have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee for a Toad.  There is a switch under the hood that is used as a switch.  This does not seem like the best idea (installing/removing the fuse will cause wear and is a bit of a pain)  

I tow a Gladiator and do not have any switches.  The switch you refer to, what does it do and is it stock or aftermarket?  I've heard of switches to turn off the battery to prevent drain while towing.  Maybe others can chime in too. 

On 7/22/2023 at 4:51 PM, Jeff H said:

Hello

Read the Jeep’s manual.  There are two typical “switches”.  One is that you can add, assuming the Jeep’s towing instructions say “remove Fuse XX.  ALSO, give your VIN to a Jeep dealer.  For FREE, they will search for a Technical Service Bulletin ( a revIsion or an updated write up not in the manual at time of printing).  Read and follow that. The fuse removal is usually to prevent a backfeed from tapping into the Brake Light circuit.  MOST knowledgeable folks use two diodes (Roadmaster sells them) to prevent damage to the “computer monitored” tail light system

THE other kind is a “sturdy” battery disconnect switch on typically (NEGATIVE cable).  GM had a WORLD of issues when they redesigned the 2014 TRUCKS & the 2015 FULL size SUV (same chassis as the Pickup trucks).  They then required a high amperage switch, similar to the Chassis Cut Off switch on the MH.  MEGA confusion….

GM switched to “electric” power steering boost and if you sent a signal, I was told, to a brake light without using a blocking diode, that “woke up” the steering and it’s natural position was to STAY centered….not good.  But, the biggest worry…GM went BACK to an electric steering wheel lock.  That turned into a catastrophe.  Solution….unhook the Battery…and make sure the charging line was connected to the battery….when unhooked or turned off…

Hope that answers your question….if not, please post and repeat the question in a different way….

21 hours ago, Steven P said:

I tow a Gladiator and do not have any switches.  The switch you refer to, what does it do and is it stock or aftermarket?  I've heard of switches to turn off the battery to prevent drain while towing.  Maybe others can chime in too. 

It is part of Mopar 68321424 AB Flat Tow Kit.  It activates the electronic power steering to eliminate the death wobble issue that Jeep had.  I think they resolved the issue somewhere around 2019.  I don't know if it was ever an issue with the Gladiator.

16 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Read the Jeep’s manual.  There are two typical “switches”.  One is that you can add, assuming the Jeep’s towing instructions say “remove Fuse XX.  ALSO, give your VIN to a Jeep dealer.  For FREE, they will search for a Technical Service Bulletin ( a revIsion or an updated write up not in the manual at time of printing).  Read and follow that. The fuse removal is usually to prevent a backfeed from tapping into the Brake Light circuit.  MOST knowledgeable folks use two diodes (Roadmaster sells them) to prevent damage to the “computer monitored” tail light system

THE other kind is a “sturdy” battery disconnect switch on typically (NEGATIVE cable).  GM had a WORLD of issues when they redesigned the 2014 TRUCKS & the 2015 FULL size SUV (same chassis as the Pickup trucks).  They then required a high amperage switch, similar to the Chassis Cut Off switch on the MH.  MEGA confusion….

GM switched to “electric” power steering boost and if you sent a signal, I was told, to a brake light without using a blocking diode, that “woke up” the steering and it’s natural position was to STAY centered….not good.  But, the biggest worry…GM went BACK to an electric steering wheel lock.  That turned into a catastrophe.  Solution….unhook the Battery…and make sure the charging line was connected to the battery….when unhooked or turned off…

Hope that answers your question….if not, please post and repeat the question in a different way….

The fuse is part of the Mopar 68321424 AB Flat Tow Kit. The kit is to rectify the death wobble issue in the Cherokee  There is a switch in the cabin and a fuse under the hood.

I was curious what people had done to avoid removing and installing the fuse under the hood every time the hooked/unhooked.  I can easily add a switch under the hood but I thought there might be a more elegant solution.

Thanks for clarifying.  I'm not familiar w this setup and think Tom has a good answer for it. Good luck w it. 

Jeff, Various vehicles have the well known death wobble which is a result of switching to EPS. The EPS system does not have adequate damping for towing and may not be limited to earlier EPS systems. The fix that is available for some Jeep models/years is a wiring harness, switch etc. Turning it on for towing enables EPS and hence you will need to have a adequate charge line from the MH for EPS and aux brake as otherwise the battery gets drained. My 14 GC Overland has hydraulic steering with an electric motor for the pump, so no problem. To be clear the switch etc. does much more that bypass a fuse and the battery has to remain connected.

This is a serious issue and there have been pictures posted with very serious damage to the car and MH. The issue also occurs in other mfg vehicles.

Highly recommend you go to the Jeep forum where there are tons of posts and knowledge.

BTW If I recall correctly your 2017 Jeep Cherokee has the death wobble issue.

7 hours ago, Jeff H said:

It is part of Mopar 68321424 AB Flat Tow Kit.  It activates the electronic power steering to eliminate the death wobble issue that Jeep had.  I think they resolved the issue somewhere around 2019.  I don't know if it was ever an issue with the Gladiator.

The fuse is part of the Mopar 68321424 AB Flat Tow Kit. The kit is to rectify the death wobble issue in the Cherokee  There is a switch in the cabin and a fuse under the hood.

I was curious what people had done to avoid removing and installing the fuse under the hood every time the hooked/unhooked.  I can easily add a switch under the hood but I thought there might be a more elegant solution.

Do you need to remove the fuse when you're not flat towing? Seems like that's what the cabin switch would be used for. The flat tow kit is not necessary for my 2018, so I can't help you out directly. 

The JeepCherokeeClub forum is very active, and if you search for flat tow lots of results pop up. They even have a subforum dedicated to towing trailers and being flat towed.

8 hours ago, W7BE_Bob said:

Jeff, Various vehicles have the well known death wobble which is a result of switching to EPS. The EPS system does not have adequate damping for towing and may not be limited to earlier EPS systems. The fix that is available for some Jeep models/years is a wiring harness, switch etc. Turning it on for towing enables EPS and hence you will need to have a adequate charge line from the MH for EPS and aux brake as otherwise the battery gets drained. My 14 GC Overland has hydraulic steering with an electric motor for the pump, so no problem. To be clear the switch etc. does much more that bypass a fuse and the battery has to remain connected.

This is a serious issue and there have been pictures posted with very serious damage to the car and MH. The issue also occurs in other mfg vehicles.

Highly recommend you go to the Jeep forum where there are tons of posts and knowledge.

BTW If I recall correctly your 2017 Jeep Cherokee has the death wobble issue.

Thanks Bob

Yes, the 2017 Jeep has the death wobble issue.  I had the dealer install  Mopar 68321424 AB Flat Tow Kit wiring harness and there is an adequate charge line from the MH to maintain the battery.  There is a switch in the console with an red "arm missile" type cover that gets turned to on and then there is a fuse that has to be installed in a holder under the hood, all part of the procedure to prepare for towing.  I don't like the fact that the fuse holder is hard to see and I can hear the relay opening and closing while inserting the fuse.  Also I think the repeated installing and removing of the fuse will make for a loose connection.

My question is has anyone installed a switch to avoid the fuse removal and installation.  Obviously the fuse would remain in line with the switch

5 hours ago, jimc99999 said:

Do you need to remove the fuse when you're not flat towing? Seems like that's what the cabin switch would be used for. The flat tow kit is not necessary for my 2018, so I can't help you out directly. 

The JeepCherokeeClub forum is very active, and if you search for flat tow lots of results pop up. They even have a subforum dedicated to towing trailers and being flat towed.

Yes the switch is on and the fuse in to tow.  Fuse out and the switch off for normal operation.  They are controlling different circuits.  One is the steering I don't recall what the other is.

Edited by Jeff H
clarity

Mopar should have included an extra pole on the switch to take care of the fuse. This thread https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep-grand-cherokee-death-wobble-339594.html has 500+ posts on death wobble and I believe this is the thread where several posters were very involved in a Mopar death wobble solution. Jeff, Suggest you check and ask your switch question in this and perhaps other irv2 threads. 

Edited by W7BE_Bob
minor update

9 hours ago, W7BE_Bob said:

Mopar should have included an extra pole on the switch to take care of the fuse. This thread https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep-grand-cherokee-death-wobble-339594.html has 500+ posts on death wobble and I believe this is the thread where several posters were very involved in a Mopar death wobble solution. Jeff, Suggest you check and ask your switch question in this and perhaps other irv2 threads. 

Hi Bob

I will check out the IRV2 forum.  Removing and replacing the fuse is part of the procedure in the manual/update so I don't think Mopar planned on a switch.