Bedroom Slide Monaco 2002

Hi Folks I have an issue that I feel one of you will have the answer, or a great suggestion. My bedroom slide appears to be in a little too tight. The result being the motor is bound up and will not open. The manual says to just take the bolt out of the motor shaft. Supposedly one can just push it open or closed. This motor is under the bed. When you lift the bed there is a box that you find the motor in. The issue is there is a top on the portion of the box covering the motor. I cannot figure out how to get to the motor. I dont understand. I have had the motor rebuilt before, so I know its possible but I just cant seem to figure it out. I am at the point where I am going to cut an access hole. Any other solutions out there?

Mine has a small ~1' wide panel that can be removed.  If the bedroom slide is all the way out it will give you fill access to the panel!!  This is on a 2002 Windsor but it might be similar.

But my guess is something else is going on. 

In early 2021 I notice my slide out working harder and the slide itself was tipped, the front was barely off the floor.  So I pulled the thick plywood off the bed to get a better look.  Took off the whole covering under that that covers the motor etc.  What I found was that on the sides there was a piece of aluminum angle and the small screws had loosened letting the slide pivot from the bed box.  Got the thing back into position and then installed larger screws and added some extras.  That Helped a lot.  I attached a picture of the access to the motor and gear box, this is with the bedroom slide all the way out, pretty much impossible if slide is all the way in. 

Then in late 2021 I had to replace the flooring due to a soft spot up front, decided to just go ahead and do all the flooring where the carpeting had been including on both slides.  Yup it was a pain but well worth it.  To do the bedroom slide I had to completely remove the bed box.  When I did I found that the small rollers that support the foot of the bed as it rolls in and out had chewed up the wood on the bottom of the bed box.  This is a known problem and the fix was to add metal sheets to the bottom of the bed.  The bed box much easier now.  The small rollers are adjustable so you can level the bed to the floor.   Below are pictures of the chewed wood and the fix.  While I was working on it I added some extra support on the bottom of the storage compartment under the bed.  Now I can actually stand or kneel in if I'm working under the bed.

Note that on my bedroom slide the slide/motor/gear reducer are obsolete.  While I was first working on mine I decided to look for a replacement just in case I had a problem.  I got the number off the motor gear box, I believe they are DeWald.  Lippert bought the rights to DeWald and pretty much discontinued all the components.  I sent emails to Lippert, they did respond but pretty much said all the parts are obsolete and they don't support time anymore.  So be careful as you work on it, if you damage anything you'll be SOL. 

Floor bed frame bottom 2.jpg

Floor bed box bottom reinforce(1).jpg

Bedroom Slide Gear Box.jpg

Edited by jacwjames

IMG_5208.thumb.jpeg.7b4643ecdf70ce0cc1bbd2e9e5c3ed94.jpeg

Its under that shelf and all the way to the far side. Tnx

5 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Mine has a small ~1' wide panel that can be removed.  If the bedroom slide is all the way out it will give you fill access to the panel!!  This is on a 2002 Windsor but it might be similar.

But my guess is something else is going on. 

In early 2021 I notice my slide out working harder and the slide itself was tipped, the front was barely off the floor.  So I pulled the thick plywood off the bed to get a better look.  Took off the whole covering under that that covers the motor etc.  What I found was that on the sides there was a piece of aluminum angle and the small screws had loosened letting the slide pivot from the bed box.  Got the thing back into position and then installed larger screws and added some extras.  That Helped a lot.  I attached a picture of the access to the motor and gear box, this is with the bedroom slide all the way out, pretty much impossible if slide is all the way in. 

Then in late 2021 I had to replace the flooring due to a soft spot up front, decided to just go ahead and do all the flooring where the carpeting had been including on both slides.  Yup it was a pain but well worth it.  To do the bedroom slide I had to completely remove the bed box.  When I did I found that the small rollers that support the foot of the bed as it rolls in and out had chewed up the wood on the bottom of the bed box.  This is a known problem and the fix was to add metal sheets to the bottom of the bed.  The bed box much easier now.  The small rollers are adjustable so you can level the bed to the floor.   Below are pictures of the chewed wood and the fix.  While I was working on it I added some extra support on the bottom of the storage compartment under the bed.  Now I can actually stand or kneel in if I'm working under the bed.

Note that on my bedroom slide the slide/motor/gear reducer are obsolete.  While I was first working on mine I decided to look for a replacement just in case I had a problem.  I got the number off the motor gear box, I believe they are DeWald.  Lippert bought the rights to DeWald and pretty much discontinued all the components.  I sent emails to Lippert, they did respond but pretty much said all the parts are obsolete and they don't support time anymore.  So be careful as you work on it, if you damage anything you'll be SOL. 

Floor bed frame bottom 2.jpg

Floor bed box bottom reinforce(1).jpg

Bedroom Slide Gear Box.jpg

I like what you did cutting out the access holes. It’s what I was thinking. I was going to do myself. I had that motor rebuilt three years ago. Unfortunately I wasn’t around to see how the mechanic got the motor out. I had to work. But I am considering doing exactly what you did in that picture with both those cut outs and you could see the motor. That is probably my answer. I do thank you.

Mine had a nylon gear that stripped, preventing the bed/ slide from going out. To get to it I propped up the bed,took the cover off the bed box, and then drilled a hole in the box that is around the motor in line with the motor assembly shaft.  I used an extension on my socket and used a reversible drill to move the slide out and back. After that it was just a matter of opening up the small black gear transfer case and finding a matching metal gear to replace the nylon one.

1 hour ago, Larry Maida said:

IMG_5208.thumb.jpeg.7b4643ecdf70ce0cc1bbd2e9e5c3ed94.jpeg

Its under that shelf and all the way to the far side. Tnx

I like what you did cutting out the access holes. It’s what I was thinking. I was going to do myself. I had that motor rebuilt three years ago. Unfortunately I wasn’t around to see how the mechanic got the motor out. I had to work. But I am considering doing exactly what you did in that picture with both those cut outs and you could see the motor. That is probably my answer. I do thank you.

I think you have the same slot opening but your slide must be in.  I had to move my slide all the way out to get to the motor. 

4 hours ago, jacwjames said:

This is a known problem and the fix was to add metal sheets to the bottom of the bed. 

Jim - what gauge metal did you use?   I need to do the same thing.