Brake lights staying on

Go to solution Solved by WRGoforth,

Hi there, I’m new to the forum and I recently purchased a 2004 Signature Chateau. I was replacing the taillight bulbs and noticed the relay for the brake lamps was removed. Once I replaced it the brake lights are remaining on. I have checked both of the air brake switches under the driver compartment and both have continuity. I read that to also test them were to remove a wire and if it was the switch was causing the lights to stay on they would go out when disconnected. I have also put in another relay from another position not being used and they still come on. Is there another relay or switch somewhere else, possibly for the Jake brake that activates the stop lamps? There is an older blueox towing system on the unit also. I removed the old plug that was tapped into the original trailer plug on the hitch (planning to replace it with a newer one with better splice connections. Scratching my head….any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich  

I am looking for the person who purchased my 2004 Signature. By any chance is there a red or yellow reflector on the driver’s side front ? I put it there to cover a hole. And have your  cameras been updated?

Brad, I don’t believe this was your coach. I purchased it from the second owner who had it for 13 years, the original owner was moto cross racer. The front cap has been replaced so there is no evidence of a sticker and the cameras appear to be original.

1 hour ago, WRGoforth said:

Hi there, I’m new to the forum and I recently purchased a 2004 Signature Chateau. I was replacing the taillight bulbs and noticed the relay for the brake lamps was removed. Once I replaced it the brake lights are remaining on. I have checked both of the air brake switches under the driver compartment and both have continuity. I read that to also test them were to remove a wire and if it was the switch was causing the lights to stay on they would go out when disconnected. I have also put in another relay from another position not being used and they still come on. Is there another relay or switch somewhere else, possibly for the Jake brake that activates the stop lamps? There is an older blueox towing system on the unit also. I removed the old plug that was tapped into the original trailer plug on the hitch (planning to replace it with a newer one with better splice connections. Scratching my head….any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich  

Rich,

You need to pull you prints.  HOPEFULLY you have the owner's manual and it has the prints in the back.  The online one for your SOG does not.  The braking system on the Monaco is a bit "perplexing".  There are two separate relays and they actually interact.  The brake pedal signal comes from an AIR switch.  That also interacts with the Engine or Jake Brake...and sometimes folks don't understand, especially, if they have a foot switch as well as a dash switch.  Basically, and this is typical, the brake lights are supposed to come on when you step on the service brakes.  BUT, not, unless it was one of Monaco's "lets experiment" and some, I have been told would come on when the Jake Brake was on.  AGAIN...this is from reading all the posts going back to 2009...and then 2 years later being asked to moderate or help out.

SOME systems had the Third Brake or the center LIDDY (DOT Slang for the light which never had an testing but was a fetish of Elizabeth (Liddy) Dole when she was DOT Cabinet Head.  SO, Jake MAY energize the Third light...but NOT the conventonal Tail Light Brakes.  But when you pressed the Brake, the third came on and both brake lights in the tail light.  You might get some feedback from a member that has an 2003 or 2004 Dynasty or Exec or Sig that can help you.  Your Sig MAY have been the transition or hybrid year where the Sig electrical system, primarily HOUSE was "totally" redesigned..

Also remember that Monaco had this nasty habit....detested by Auto Techs or Mechanics of SWITCHING the GROUND...so some relays in the braking system are energized by GROUND CIRCUIT COMPLETION.  This just drives me batty...

Look at your prints and then trace the circuit.  Also understand WHAT is getting switched on what Relay.  NOW, Your MH was not, I think, prewired for a brake controller for a Trailer or Toad system.  The third relay was often added to convert the ground switched signal to a 12 VDC ouput.  I would be cautious about what is often posted as "Gospel" sometimes even our members have done some rewiring and the outcome was not as expected.

SO...Basically read the prints....trace the circuit.  See if it has been, which it sounds like it was, modified.  The EXTRA wire was primarily for a trailer system...which should not have changed the brake circuit that you are having issues with...but perhaps a previous owner did not full understand and "messed" with it and experimented and got what he wanted...but also sacrificed some functionality...which you have discovered.

• Solution

Thanks all for your replies. I have my owners manual that came with the coach but it did not contain the wiring diagrams. The tow plug on the hitch seems factory into the other wiring harness so I didn’t do anything other than removing the old splice wires to the toad plug.

I ended up running a new wire from the front air brake switch to the rear electrical panel(that was a chore). I cut/capped the factory signal wire and attached the new to the brake signal harness/switch. This at least gives me brake lights for now at the pedal until I can find a solution to the original problem. I also buffed out the taillights, ceramic coated them, and replaced the old bulbs with LEDs