Tail dragging

I've read a lot of posts on ride height and leveler adjustments... enough to know I need a pro.  I have an 08 Knight 40DFT on an RR8R Roadmaster chassis.  It appears to sit level. It handles great.  But the full width mud flap drags on uneven surfaces of all kinds and on any change to an uphill slope.  The 1-1.5 inch rubber bottom edge is worn almost completely off.  Is this likely a function of ride height adjustment, or air bag pressure, or some other factor?  The pic of my pressure gauges is after airing up to 115-120 lbs and the pressure valves popping off audibly.  I'm taking the beast in to my local shop this Wednesday in hopes they may be able to measure, diagnose, and adjust.  Advice here, from the Monaco pro's will be be invaluable (and I mean that very sincerely).  Thanks in advance. 

Steve P20230812_120006.thumb.jpg.0f2e52ff2d3bc2c02228020b6b1d4ed5.jpg

There are specs for the suspension height.  So that should be checked.  If the sign is dragging, then raise the sign post leveling. 

The height of the sign is not critical.  Suspension height is.

I guess if you were really baffled, there are plenty of magnetic wifi cameras you could temporarily mount underneath to see under what conditions is the sign dragging to see if it's of any question.

Edited by DavidL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Bergamo said:

The ride height is probably ok. If the flap is dragging, it would be best to raise the flap than messing with a well handling coach that sits level. Good luck.

BTW…never trust the mounting.  Some members had pins come out or wear on the shackles.  Inspect the hardware.  Make sure if you upgrade, you put BOLTS in the clevis hooks…not PINS.  I used Grade 5 and nylock nuts…some have added chains or such.  Not rated for continuous vibration and wear….

My solution to this problem is my OPINION due to experience. My flap didn't drag unless going into fuel stops etc. over sidewalks or such. How ever when releasing air to level had the flap dig into the soft ground and didn't swing, jammed against exhaust and broke a weld up by the turbo. When we got home from that trip that flap lay on the ground beside my shop until I sold that coach. The flap from my present coach stands in the corner of my shop since day one. The muffler on this coach has one of the clamps broken and is wired up and I have no doubt that came about the same way as my previous issue. Also in looking at many other coaches in parks, sales lots and online notice broken and cracked fibreglass on lower edges directly in line with this flap. The mudflaps that do the best job of stopping road spray are the individual ones behind each set of tires. Again that is my opinion, they look nice and are good advertising. Others say they kick up rocks and hit the toad, no experience but makes sense. Thanks for reading, Don

• Like 2

From the perspective of drag, the mud flap just seems like massive contributor, but I don't know of any studies or solid data.  In the aviation world, all kinds of attempts are made to reduce drag, and thus increase speed and/or improve fuel economy.  Gap seals, vortex generators, flush rivets, one-piece windscreens to name a few... I'm seriously considering removing the thing... it's little more than a billboard.  I have a Protect-a-Tow screen that should deflect the rocks (and seems to!)

Safe travels to all !!  Flappable and unflappable alike !!!

• Like 1