QD8000 circuit repacement

hex_nut
Go to solution Solved by hex_nut,

The circuit breaker on my QD8000 is starting to fail (after 17 years, I am not surprised).  Does anyone have experience in replacing this circuit breaker and can tell me how deep I will have to go in disassembling the unit in order to replace the breaker?  Thanks

Richard

I replaced one on a 10K a while back and it was not very difficult at all. If the panel it is mounted in is accessible, then should be no problem at all. A few screws holding it to the panel and a few terminal screws and that is about it. Fairly straightforward and not very difficult. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• Solution

Ivan and Frank

Thank you for your insight.  My 8K is obviously built different than your 10K.  I had to remove the entire top (about a dozen hard to get to bolts).  Then I could move the coolant surge tank out of the way and get to the circuit breaker.  After installing the new breaker, everything works correctly under load.  Yipee!  If anyone is in need of the 35 amp double pole breaker that Onan used on the 7.5 and 8K units, I found it available on Amazon from the OEM manufacturer (AIRPAX, IEG66-28333-2-V) at about 2/3 the cost of the Cummins part #.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KW6N539?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Richard

Just a p.s.

My circuit breaker was not tripping, but any load over about 20 amps would cause the breaker to lose voltage below the minimum required to keep the ATS contactor energized.  I initially thought my ATS was failing, but after much testing, determined it had to be the generator dropping voltage.

Richard

• Like 2