2004 Camelot PDQ w/Cummins ISL 400

7 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

That’s interesting, why wouldn’t the put an engine brake on that caliber of motor coach?

Go ask the Monaco bean counters.  They bought cheap shocks and had them custom painted, the reverse of the Bilstein colors.  The Camelots were the upper end of the second tier food chain.  VGT only.  No option for the SAME ISL as the stock Dynasty.  Yes, you could probably order one.  When engines got scarce in late 2008 and they were out of the ISL VGT only, they had a surplus of Dynasty standard mills.  They started charging around $3K for “upgraded” Jake engines.  I still have a “this is how we gonna make it” build sheet with the factory upgraded engine for a February build 2009 Scepter.  It got stranded…and became one of the few 2010.  There was a $100K price differential between the Dynasty and Camelot….MSRP…or there abouts…. But adding $3K was verboten and there WAS no option…but they could put in a $10K fancy curved sofa and deluxe  dining booth.  Go figure….  BTW, I have driven over 65 K in all lower 48 and 5 CND  provinces and survived the downhill (westward) side of the Eisenhower pass as well as the treacherous “most scenic highway in Utahl with some grades missed in the Mountain West book…

YES, if i was out west and only camped there, I would spend the $5K to convert my intake…but, if you drive responsibly and carefully…it works. Service brakes are as good now as new…from a stopping standpoint and I have  the M&G air on the 6K Yukon.

Thank you, Fred. I feel the same way. If the customer has a super clean car and engine, the the technician is on best behavior, with no shortcuts taken. 

Each coach level at Monaco had different levels of refinement.  On the Camelot level they didn’t sand a polish curved surfaces. But if you took it back in for warranty work, they would do just about anything to make you happy. I took my coach to Oregon with a long list when it was 9 months old. The service was phenomenal. I was happy.

But, as I mentioned above, the dual leveling system was not available on the Camelot line.  This is to differentiate the higher end coaches from the lower end ones.

Group, thank you ALL for your input!  I'm pretty sure we have determined that the coach I am interested in is a late 2004 with 2005 upgrades.  I was supposed to have a phone conversation with the seller yesterday...but it never happened, hopefully it will today.  If this doesn't happen i'm just going to keep looking for another coach that has a pre-DEF motor.  This one was/is interesting as it pretty much had my complete shopping list of things I wanted, which other than pre-DEF I wanted a side radiator so I can actually SEE my motor (I like to keep it clean and inspected like Harry does), dual couches in the front and king size bed in the back, tile floors, 10K# hitch, nice kitchen, pretty much all the high end goodies, and this one is only a few hours away from my home location in South Florida.  I was really looking for a newer model, was hoping for a 2008 (or whenever just before DEF started) and was not specifically choosing a Camelot...thats just what I've found so far.  When I purchase the new one then I will sell the 04 34PDD Knight that we have very much enjoyed and I have completely gone through to make 100%...then the process will start all over again debugging and restoring whatever I end up buying.  I truly appreciate all the advice...keep it coming!

2 minutes ago, Bob Wightman said:

Group, thank you ALL for your input!  I'm pretty sure we have determined that the coach I am interested in is a late 2004 with 2005 upgrades.  I was supposed to have a phone conversation with the seller yesterday...but it never happened, hopefully it will today.  If this doesn't happen i'm just going to keep looking for another coach that has a pre-DEF motor.  This one was/is interesting as it pretty much had my complete shopping list of things I wanted, which other than pre-DEF I wanted a side radiator so I can actually SEE my motor (I like to keep it clean and inspected like Harry does), dual couches in the front and king size bed in the back, tile floors, 10K# hitch, nice kitchen, pretty much all the high end goodies, and this one is only a few hours away from my home location in South Florida.  I was really looking for a newer model, was hoping for a 2008 (or whenever just before DEF started) and was not specifically choosing a Camelot...thats just what I've found so far.  When I purchase the new one then I will sell the 04 34PDD Knight that we have very much enjoyed and I have completely gone through to make 100%...then the process will start all over again debugging and restoring whatever I end up buying.  I truly appreciate all the advice...keep it coming!

That’s been my theory all along.  You need a 2007 to avoid the Diesel Particulate Filter.  Now, I would tell you that Monaco redesigned the Camelot electrical system in 2008.  Major upgrades to the MH.  Also eliminated, I think, the overheating of the back bedroom by adding vents and louvers to the rear engine door.  I am probably prejudiced, but the 2008/9 were some of the most reliable Camelots out there as you did not have “electronic” slide control boards….which have been somewhat troublesome and are not available….and folks have had issues with 2005/6 boards and had to pay some really knowledgeable techs to custom build the slides….maybe 3 on one controller and you have to pull the circuit off, one at a time, as they fail and put in individual controls for each slide.   That works, but you need a good tech and not one who says, “I’ll make ‘er work” and then later on, a real tech has to gut and fix properly ….

The DPF engines have an outstanding reliability record….as long as the update to the software, an hour’s job at a Cummins dealer is performed.  We have very few DPF failures and those were from previous owners not paying attention to “idiot” lights or having techs make uninformed decisions and not diagnose the issues.

Just my 2 cents….. I’d keep my options open….the Camelot evolved and when Monaco killed the popular Windsor, circa 2007….the last Windsor model was a rebadged Camelot and then the Camelot/Scepter was gradually improved and refined.  The major transition was when they added the large, main PCB (Printed Circuit Board) in the front and utilized the same electrical concept as the Dynasty, without all the pesky plethora of Intellitec sub boards.  It also has a robust BIRD (two way charging system).  

That’s my take…

• Like 1

I'm open to all options that fit the list of what I'm looking for but stay within my budget.  The problem I'm finding is that sellers typically have done little to no mechanical maintenance on their coaches and tires need to be replaced as they are date code too old to be safe...and are asking prices that should be in "Ready to Go Anywhere" condition.  I found that out on my 04 Knight, had the purchase price PLUS almost $10K at a shop before I even drove it home changing belts, hoses, fluids, brakes, and all other stuff that had never been done.  Then on the second trip out we blew a tire so I replaced all of them, makes you sick to take off what look like brand new tires to put on actual brand new tires.  After AAA NEVER showing up (what a joke Gold RV membership is) when I called them for help with the tire I determined all new tires was a must.  These days tires alone are around $7,500.00 (I put on all Firestone-don't trust Chinese name brands for big rigs), add that to the sale price and the number goes up quickly.