first oil change, synthetic or standard

Bad math.  It was actually 5 years.  August 2018 - August 2023.  Like I said, I kept submitting the samples and everything was testing good, well within specs.  After the last sample when the lab said to submit another sample after 1,000 miles, I decided to change it.  
I realize the time and mileage seem excessive, but the tests were all coming back good. 

• Like 3

I would strongly encourage you to google "why you should change your oil"  you will find numerous articles/reasons why and the damage that will happen to your engine. These engines are way too expensive.  I change my oil and filter and both fuel filters every year regardless of the miles, 1k miles 10k miles doesn't matter.  But that is a decision for you to make.  I would read the manual and follow their recommendations.   

If you decide to change your oil and filter, you may consider using a stiction cleaner.  After reading a few articles on why you should change your oil you'll understand why IMO a stiction cleaner is necessary to use.  

Safe travels!!

2 hours ago, Gweedo said:

I would strongly encourage you to google "why you should change your oil"  you will find numerous articles/reasons why and the damage that will happen to your engine. These engines are way too expensive.  I change my oil and filter and both fuel filters every year regardless of the miles, 1k miles 10k miles doesn't matter.  But that is a decision for you to make.  I would read the manual and follow their recommendations.   

If you decide to change your oil and filter, you may consider using a stiction cleaner.  After reading a few articles on why you should change your oil you'll understand why IMO a stiction cleaner is necessary to use.  

Safe travels!!

The lab tests a multitude of things - metals, contaminants, fuel dilution, etc, over 30 different tests.  If they say to drive 2500 miles and submit another sample, then I figure they know what they’re doing.  Like I said in the post, the last time I submitted a sample they said drive 1,000 miles.  I decided to change it anyway.  

Yesterday I watched an episode of "Mighty Ships". Episode was on a ice breaking cargo ship operating in northern Canada.

Oil goes in the engine when it's installed, never get's replaced! Oher than top ups, that oil is there for the life of the engine!

Didn't mention which brand they use.

• Like 2

Dunno!

They sent a crew member into the crankcase with a bucket of rags to inspect things while the engine was shut down for the night. He wasn't wearing hip waders, so, obviously a dry sump system, still, that floor would have to be like an ice rink!

If they told me I had to go inspect the crankcase, I'd want all the keys that could start that engine in my pocket 😬!!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Guest Ray Davis

If he positions himself between the connecting rods he's probably safe until he can get someone to stop the engine.   I wonder what the sound would be like in there?

I have seen on TV where the ship is built around the engine.   An engine might be 2 or 3 stories tall.  Think about the fuel tank & fuel bill.

6 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

If he positions himself between the connecting rods he's probably safe until he can get someone to stop the engine.   I wonder what the sound would be like in there?

I have seen on TV where the ship is built around the engine.   An engine might be 2 or 3 stories tall.  Think about the fuel tank & fuel bill.

Wonder what the air turbulence would be like in there with those giant pistons moving 😬

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
6 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Wonder what the air turbulence would be like in there with those giant pistons moving 😬

Probably suck your eyeballs out.  🙈

Guest Ray Davis
58 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

And the other balls would be closely following them 😂!

I thought about saying that but I stay about halfway in the dog house as it is.    🤣

Guest Ray Davis

Ben, you're a motorcycle man.  Have you ever seen a 48-cylinder Kawasaki?  24 on this side so there must be 24 on the other side. I wonder what it sounds like?            That looks like way too small of a wheel on the back to me.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/the-man-who-owns-400-cars/ss-AA1ihuWm?ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&cvid=b297408f9536465799d9e1661066e3bd&ei=72#image=11

48-cylinder Kawasaki