Shower Valve Upgrade - 2007 Diplomat

Glenn Strom
Go to solution Solved by Glenn Strom,

The old shower valve was very very finicky. You could be scolding, hot and freezing, cold by barely moving it. I decided to upgrade it with a nice Delta, residential that you can dial in much easier and more accurately. I modified the connections using all shark bite fittings, turn on much cleaner install. I have posted before and after pictures of the install and valve assembly.

IMG_2754.jpeg

IMG_2753.jpeg

IMG_2755.jpeg

Edited by ggsdrummer
Forgot to add year and model.
  • Like 2

• Glenn Strom changed the title to Shower Valve Upgrade - 2007 Diplomat

Looks like you have pretty good access.

In my case the access is through a small opening in the backsplash of the kitchen counter.  I inspect every once in a while by removing the mirror.  It would be a long stretch for me to reach the back of the shower valve. 

But at least I know there are options. 

True it was fairly easy due to easy access from the bedroom wall. I'm not sure if what I replaced was original but I didn't like the way it was installed. I almost went with the Shower Only Valve but I realized that rotating it upside down would mess up Cold and Hot locations so I went with the Bathtub and shower & plugged in the Top Shower as the original showed as the setup uses the bottom bathtub connection. 

I have a 2008 Diplomat. The plastic shower knob disintegrated soon after our purchase and a replacement was not readily available in the usual places of Lowe’s and Home Depot. Thank you for the excellent photos of your installation. It matches mine perfectly. We will be so happy not wrap a cloth around the “joystick” to adjust water temp. Thanks! And well done!

Those d*** plastic 90 degree elbows should be replaced by everyone. Monaco tightened them to a point they crack over time, water leaks down to sub floor, and all kinds of damage occurs, like tile replacement due to sub floor failure.  Not an IF situation, but a WHEN. Replace the water lines too with Stainless Steel braided to the basement.

Edited by Paul J A

One nice thing about most new faucets including delta, Price Pfister, and Moen, is they will guarantee even the cartridge and send you a new one for free should it start leaking.  Sand and hard water is the biggest cause of failures/leaks.   The catch is you have to contact the mfg, and I wouldn't mention anything about an  RV.