No Tails or Marker Lights - 2003 Dynasty. Help APPRECIATED

57 minutes ago, thompson_skip said:

After a repair we were late leaving and discovered I had no taillights or marker lights. Headlights work, emergency flashers work, turn signals work just no taillights on coach or on toad. Any suggestions?  Our coach is a 2003 Monaco Dynasty. Thanks 

Pull your prints.  The power to your rear lights may be fed into relays.  You may have separate relays for every function.  The front signals come back to,the RRB, then there is a full 12 VDC source to each relay.  So the bulbs have an “independent” voltage.  If the wires from a headlight switch or a turn signal were run all the way back, the volatge would be so low and they would be dim.  If you lost the power input to these relays….no JUICE.  But, if someone disconnected the chassis harness to the rear…no control or signal voltage.

I would go back to the shop and say….you broke it…you fix it.  It was working before you “fixed whatever”, now fix what you broke…. And that ain’t on my nickel….but be nice….

Thanks Tom, but the repair was for a fuel leak. A plug had loosened up and was leaking.  The repair guy didn’t mess with any wires. 

I’m wondering if it could be a problem with the ignition switch or the light switch?  We put the coach in storage while we home for a few days so I’m where I can’t work on it for a few days. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Replaced the headlight switch, but unfortunately that didn’t fix the issue. If I push the ICC switch (think that is what it is called) the marker lights and taillights come on.   Could it be the solenoid in the driver side rear run bay ?  I replaced the two on the curb side rear run bay and that fixed my 12 volt light problem.  Thanks for any suggestions. 

IMG_9777.jpeg

Skip I can't get to mine right now to take a pic but I remember in that right rear run bay box it's kind of like a junction box if you will. The tail lights , 7 way trailer plug, 

marker lights and more are in there. If your ok with test lights, meter etc. and maybe a helper in the cab that's a great place to start checking.

Roy Mercier   2003 Dynasty

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=Wiring&quick=1&type=downloads_file

Use the above link.  Scroll down and download the 2003 Dynasty wiring diagrams.  241 pages, chocked full of all you need to know.  There are relays that send out the signals. These relays are operated by several modes.  The ICC switch off your Smart Wheel is working.  Trace the wiring back to the Clearance Marker Relay.  Then see what Other signal is coming to the relay.  There is an issue between your headlight switch and the relays.  May be (probably) a bad connection on a multipin harness connector.  Pulling apart or disconnecting and then firmly reseating works. If you follow the Smart Wheel connector check the harnesses and such.  Same for the harness going from the Headlight switch.

The trick of these drawings is to identify the “harness” and connector or plug number.  Then the specific wire or pin number.  There will probably be several prints and you sort of go back and forth and trace the circuits.  The fourth print is a start….then review the kist ot titles of the drawings and sort through them.  

If your front and rear run bays still have stickers identifying the fuses and relays positions, you might start by locating a relay for a non-working circuit, then finding a working circuit with a matching relay.  Swap them.  That should tell you if it's the relay, or not.  Then fuses (or maybe test/replace those first...  

I found at one point that the trailer plug on the MH was cracked and shorting out in weird ways affecting brake and tail lights.  So a quick inspection for physical and electrical integrity of the plug my be worthwhile.

I'm not half the technician of others here, so I'll leave the wiring trace and VOM measuring suggestions to the experts. 

19 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=Wiring&quick=1&type=downloads_file

Use the above link.  Scroll down and download the 2003 Dynasty wiring diagrams.  241 pages, chocked full of all you need to know.  There are relays that send out the signals. These relays are operated by several modes.  The ICC switch off your Smart Wheel is working.  Trace the wiring back to the Clearance Marker Relay.  Then see what Other signal is coming to the relay.  There is an issue between your headlight switch and the relays.  May be (probably) a bad connection on a multipin harness connector.  Pulling apart or disconnecting and then firmly reseating works. If you follow the Smart Wheel connector check the harnesses and such.  Same for the harness going from the Headlight switch.

The trick of these drawings is to identify the “harness” and connector or plug number.  Then the specific wire or pin number.  There will probably be several prints and you sort of go back and forth and trace the circuits.  The fourth print is a start….then review the kist ot titles of the drawings and sort through them.  

Thanks Tom for the the download link. I have the original wiring diagram book that came with the coach. My problem is I don’t have the skills to understand the wiring diagram but I have a friend or two that may be able to assist. I will continue to work to find the issue. Thank you so much for your assistance. 

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

If your front and rear run bays still have stickers identifying the fuses and relays positions, you might start by locating a relay for a non-working circuit, then finding a working circuit with a matching relay.  Swap them.  That should tell you if it's the relay, or not.  Then fuses (or maybe test/replace those first...  

I found at one point that the trailer plug on the MH was cracked and shorting out in weird ways affecting brake and tail lights.  So a quick inspection for physical and electrical integrity of the plug my be worthwhile.

I'm not half the technician of others here, so I'll leave the wiring trace and VOM measuring suggestions to the experts. 

Thanks Steve for the suggestion. I carry a spare relay and I had a friend help me switch out the relays but we couldn’t find a problem with the relays. All my relays in front electric bay are labeled except one so don’t know what it does. All the relays in the rear electric bay are labeled except one. I wonder why they didn’t label all ???  I will check tge trailer plug. Have a very Metty Christmas 🤶 

I have a 2003 Dynasty - As a primary test for continuity, test the other dock side lights (white) flip on the Dock Lights top row 3rd switch from the left on the left-hand dash panel. This should turn on all 4 white side lights (2 on each side) to make sure you are getting power. It's a different circuit but let's see if you are getting power to some of the side lights.  Secondly, with the headlights or parking lights the front and rear red marker lights should be illuminated and flash intermittently with directionals and emergency flasher engaged, and the middle amber lights should be on as well as the overhead 4 front amber lights and 4 red rear lights and license plate lights, and not flash.  This should help troubleshooting with your multimeter.

Some of us use LED's that are polarity sensitive and will not light. 

If you still are having a problem, make sure your RV to tow vehicle pigtail is disconnected as there might be a short there or the toad wiring harness.

Just some suggestions learned the hard way. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tom Cherry changed the title to No Tails or Marker Lights - 2003 Dynasty. Help APPRECIATED
On 12/22/2023 at 4:30 PM, Kenster said:

Outside front electrical compartment. Two electrical boxes approximately 4 in square. The one on the right. Tail marker light fuse.

I’m not sure what electric boxes you are talking about. My front run bay doesn’t have them. Here is a picture of my front electric run bay. Thanks 

IMG_9883.jpeg