Looked at a beauty today

JDCrow

16 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Not buying this one. But definitely will be looking for a Detroit when I’m ready 

The best engines on the planet. I’d love to find one with the 8V92TA.

37 minutes ago, FLynes said:

The best engines on the planet. I’d love to find one with the 8V92TA.

While I love those, they made a lot of noise. Had a dump truck ran for years with one, a 1978 GMC General 8V92 with 13 spd. Only thing it couldn’t out run was the gallon of oil I kept on the floor

Edited by JDCrow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Craggar said:

Very nice unit and if that was in Canadian dollars I might have a chance of affording it. lol

Yeah a little more than we want to spend as well. We’ve bought from them in the past and they have always taken less than what they advertise. These are most likely consignments 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Ran over to go through a few coaches for a feel. 

This one stood out. It must have been garaged, paint was pristine. There were only 2 small areas inside that the   Finish had clouded  

Best thing, 515hp series 60

https://www.beavercoachsales.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2007-BEAVER-MOTORHOME-Motorhome-MARQUIS-13970052

42' coach. Been for sale quite awhile. A guy bought a 45' in Quebec last month for 135k. 600 Cat, full wall slide 

Edited by Paul J A

18 hours ago, JDCrow said:

While I love those, they made a lot of noise. Had a dump truck ran for years with one, a 1978 GMC General 8V92 with 13 spd. Only thing it couldn’t out run was the gallon of oil I kept on the floor

The noise is what makes them great! Loved those Generals, spectacular trucks. I follow a guy on YouTube, "Ol2Stroker"....guy has forgotten more about Detroits than I could ever learn. He has the ability to make the Detroit Leakers leak-proof.

Edited by FLynes

After looking at this coach, they had a Country Coach Allure. I’ve been wanting to see one in person. The Allure is middle of the road. While the build quality I’m sure is good, it wasn’t as fancy as my wife wants. 

So the good news, wife is sold on a Beaver or Signature! Yeah I don’t have to find a new family (Boo for some I guess) 

Anyway, a little more researching on the above Beaver, it’s not a Series 60c but a DD15. So it has EGR and DPF (no DEF) 

Detroit went all in on a new engine for I replace the Series 60 when the emissions  came out instead of trying and I scab on SCR systems. This is a no go for me. The hunt will be for an 05/06 coach when time is right. 

Edited by JDCrow

IMG_0018.thumb.jpeg.88267af285b8b34604ef3c638e324c03.jpeg

18 minutes ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

But is the DD15 reliable?  Or does it share the same poor reliability record that most of the other 1st gen emissions diesels do?

So, as much as I can tell, from reading, it’s pretty good. It does regen automatically every 300 miles. 

The filters are in an attached box, and need service (cleaned out) regularly.  I’m not sure how easy it is to get to the box.  Everything can be more difficult on a coach we know because there is no hood to tilt up 

There are o-rings on the cylinder sleeves that get hard/rot and will leak. This I would be concerned about as coaches sit, or have lower miles and I would think the o-rings getting brittle would be a great issue. 

There are “work arounds” or in the diesel world we can get them on a  “weight loss program”

But I cannot find prices for them, most of all of these kits come from Canada anymore as the US has had major enforcement. 

Edited by JDCrow
Pictures added

4 hours ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

But is the DD15 reliable?  Or does it share the same poor reliability record that most of the other 1st gen emissions diesels do?

The DD15 is a spectacular DDEC engine. It has a few known issues, but all are the result of improper preventive maintenance. As long as the fuel system is properly primed, and gaskets are periodically replaced, it'll last a long time. The only thing it won't do is give you that nostalgic 2-stroke Detroit sound.

23 hours ago, JDCrow said:

There are “work arounds” or in the diesel world we can get them on a  “weight loss program”

But I cannot find prices for them, most of all of these kits come from Canada anymore as the US has had major enforcement. 

I wouldn't recommend that route, could lead to major issues down the road, etc.  But then, I think mufflers are good idea too. 😉

9 minutes ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

I wouldn't recommend that route, could lead to major issues down the road, etc.  But then, I think mufflers are good idea too. 😉

Yes I wouldn’t touch newer stuff at all. Sounds like the DD15 was designed with emissions in mind. Many engines of  that era were not, the had emission parts scabbed on. These engines you are basically putting back to stock by putting them on a weight loss program. 

My 6.7 Ford is perfectly fine with emissions. Ford drew this engine from the grouhd up. It had 2 cooling systems, serviceable oil coolers, reversed intake/exhaust for down tube replacement etc. 

I had a 6.4 which was a grenade ready to explode,  but after its weight loss, it was insane.  I’ve never had anything come close to the raw power that truck had. Check out Rudy’s Diesel. Their Drag Truck used to have a 6.4

https://www.dragzine.com/features/car-features/rudys-diesel-6-4l-powerstroke-f-250-drag-truck-aiming-for-the-7s/

Edited by JDCrow
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Yes I wouldn’t touch newer stuff at all. Sounds like the DD15 was designed with emissions in mind. Many engines of  that era were not, the had emission parts scabbed on. These engines you are basically putting back to stock by putting them on a weight loss program. 

My 6.7 Ford is perfectly fine with emissions. Ford drew this engine from the grouhd up. It had 2 cooling systems, serviceable oil coolers, reversed intake/exhaust for down tube replacement etc. 

I had a 6.4 which was a grenade ready to explode,  but after its weight loss, it was insane.  I’ve never had anything come close to the raw power that truck had. Check out Rudy’s Diesel. Their Drag Truck used to have a 6.4

https://www.dragzine.com/features/car-features/rudys-diesel-6-4l-powerstroke-f-250-drag-truck-aiming-for-the-7s/

Same thing with my 6.0, it really woke up, after its weight loss, 270,000 miles and still going strong. Ford’s divorce from IH was a blessing in disguise; Ford engineers really did their homework, when they designed the 6.7, it’s a beast, the best engine to come along, since the 460.

Edited by FLynes