Driving in TN

michaelivan

Just wondering if anyone has traveled south from Pigeon Forge to Florida.  We have always gone north from PF to I40 and I75.  Online I have seen posts pro and con about going south on 441 to Franklin NC and on south that way.  Just wondering if that is ok with a 40' and toad?

I've driven the road in a car but not in an RV.  It is doable but it does have some pretty steep grades and tight turns.  With the number of larger RV's that visit both PF and Cherokee I would think there would be an advisory against it but I don't recall any. 

You could go from PF and get on I40 south to Asheville and then I26 south till you hit 95, we've done that in the coach. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, michaelivan said:

Just wondering if anyone has traveled south from Pigeon Forge to Florida.  We have always gone north from PF to I40 and I75.  Online I have seen posts pro and con about going south on 441 to Franklin NC and on south that way.  Just wondering if that is ok with a 40' and toad?

Harley and Vette (Me - Guilty) owners LOVE this road.  My Garmin RV 760 "SAYS:  Both Tallahassee and Orlando as destinations from Pigeon Forge.  BOTH say I-40 to Knoxville and I-75 through Atlanta and on into Florida.  

We're at the Anchor Down RV Resort now and I'm driving that route from Pigeon Forge ( I-40 to I-75 )  all the way to the Carroll Sausage Store & Campground in the morning.  RV Trip Wizard has me going through Chattanooga and the ByPass around Atlanta.  I know it's going to be a long traveling day (est a 6 hr day)

• Like 1

Mike, if we were that far north then wouldn't think twice about your route.  We stay right in PF at Mill Creek RV so are at the south end of town. We have driven the northern route on 441 thru Sevierville to I-40 and around that way to I-75 and on home to Florida.  Hate the drive thru Sevierville since the traffic is aways a rolling parking lot on 441 all the way to the freeway. Coming in a couple of weeks ago it took us over an hour from the freeway to the RV park in PF.  Have tried Veterans Blvd past Dollywood but still get stuck getting thru Sevierville.  Grew up in Eastern Oregon so mountain passes and narrow roads not a big concern.  Not really in a big hurry so thought the scenic drive would be nice. 

Mike, if we head north from the coast then that is the route we use.  We live in The Villages so I-75 goes right by us.

Tom,  Vette (C6) owners here as well.  Google has always tried to send us down 441 over the mountains and haven't ever tried it.  Just looking for other options.

Edited by michaelivan

13 hours ago, amphi_sc said:

We just came down from Sevierville via 441 west to 411 thru Marysville, Benton etc.  Stayed off I-40 and I-75 until south of Atlanta.  Pleasant drive missing Knoxville and Chattanooga traffic enjoying the countryside.  45' with toad.

We just drove I-40 and I-75 today and traffic thru Atlanta and Macon was a nightmare !  Stopped at the Carroll's Sausage RV Campground for the night.  Was a very long day

On 10/13/2023 at 9:00 AM, amphi_sc said:

We just came down from Sevierville via 441 west to 411 thru Marysville, Benton etc.  Stayed off I-40 and I-75 until south of Atlanta.  Pleasant drive missing Knoxville and Chattanooga traffic enjoying the countryside.  45' with toad.

Amphi_sc, did you take 321 west to 75?  Hadn't even looked at that route.  Only been as far as Wears Valley.

Edited by michaelivan

I run that route regularly.   I have done it with pickups and long 5th wheels with or without exhaust brakes, old 40 ft motorhome with brake retarder, and current one with engine brake.   If your brakes are good and you know what you are doing you will have no issues.   There are a couple of places that you could get in trouble and overheat your brakes if you don’t.   I pull a jeep that weighs 6,000 lbs and dont always hook up the supplemental braking for the route, it is very doable.  

22 minutes ago, SUCHESTOM said:

I run that route regularly.   I have done it with pickups and long 5th wheels with or without exhaust brakes, old 40 ft motorhome with brake retarder, and current one with engine brake.   If your brakes are good and you know what you are doing you will have no issues.   There are a couple of places that you could get in trouble and overheat your brakes if you don’t.   I pull a jeep that weighs 6,000 lbs and dont always hook up the supplemental braking for the route, it is very doable.  

Thanks for the update.  MH has exhaust brake, brakes are good, and we tow a CRV so will give it a try.

3 hours ago, michaelivan said:

Amphi_sc, did you take 321 west to 75?  Hadn't even looked at that route.  Only been as far as Wears Valley.

From 411 we cut over 136 by Talking Rock and continued onward to visit Paul overnight...and then onward toward Ocala Florida to visit my sister and other friends.  We'll put close to 20k on the coach this year wandering around North America...be over in Calif for Christmas and then Rio Grande valley for some of the winter.  (My tires never age out before they wear out.)

On 10/14/2023 at 10:04 AM, michaelivan said:

Thanks for the advice. Calling for snow in the mountains tonight so going to try your route.  Wish I had that problem with tires.  23K on 7 year old Hercules so replacing them when we get home.

I would not recommend those roads for large RV's. It has been awhile since I had my 38 foot Endeavor in that area due to my experience on my last trip there. I was in Maggie Valley and there was a huge rock slide that closed I-40S so I was forced to go South to get back to I-40S. Travelling through the Park to Gatlinburg was not an option for me. We had 2 coaches travelling together, so, my buddy and I studied the atlas carefully and picked our route to get us down to Cleveland, TN where we could get on I-75S. The roads where in good shape; however, traffic was much heavier than expected. I don't recall any issues with the grades; but, the roads are very crooked with a lot of blind hair pin turns. You are hanging close to the center line with the nose and the center to rear is very close to the mountain. Then, suddenly from out of nowhere you could be face to face with a tanker truck with the trailer tires in your lane. HOLY...., nowhere to go; nowhere to hide!! Brakes on heavy by both of us. When we stopped, his trailer was less than an inch from my mirror and my coach was so close to the mountain that I couldn't open the door and of course no backing up for me. We just sat there for a few minutes to collect ourselves before making any moves. As I have stated before, traffic was much heavier than expected. The truck can't back-up because of a line of cars behind him. 

All ended well but NOT forgotten!!!

johjim397

02 Endeavor

On 10/14/2023 at 11:38 AM, michaelivan said:

Thanks for the update.  MH has exhaust brake, brakes are good, and we tow a CRV so will give it a try.

Final update.  Ended up going over the mountain on 441.  Traffic was light early in the morning and Newfound Gab webcam showed no snow so away we went.  Only issues where that it tried to snow on us at the top (35 degrees) and the wild turkey that tried to attack us in Cherokee.   I wouldn't hesitate to go that route again. Thanks to everyone for their input.

20231016_094749.jpg

20231016_090543.jpg

Edited by michaelivan
  • Like 2