Original Weldex Rear camera starting to go south

Anybody upgrade their Weldex camera, its going off and on and just dies and then comes back on for a short time.  Any retrofit that will fit the opening 2006 Knight 34,000 miles and it don't like towing without the rear camera.  Thanks, Tim

Years ago I put in a Rear View Safety system.  I did not go with the side cameras as I felt they were more of a distraction than help.  I always use the mirrors.  Regardless, I used the cable from the Weldex, and the Rear View Safety was pretty much a drop in.  I do remember slight cut in the dash, but that was all.  There is a write up here in the files.  I used the RVS camera.  Weldex is junk and support was nonexistent.  Spent more in replacement screen which did not solve problem than new RVS system.

Forgot about heat sink which fell off and shorted out monitor that was not covered by Weldex.

Weldex actually makes a plug-n-play color replacement…the new LCD monitor just slides right in, with the use of the new provided brackets. The quality of the new camera is really nice. I don’t have the P/N on hand (drinking beer in downtown Boise @Prost!) but if you Google “Weldex color upgrade”, it’ll get you in the right direction.

I've replaced my monitor and rear camera using rvcams.com.  give them a call and ask for Tim. Very helpful people!

20220423_132154.jpg

On 10/18/2023 at 12:59 PM, Knight 40 PLQ said:

Anybody upgrade their Weldex camera, its going off and on and just dies and then comes back on for a short time.  Any retrofit that will fit the opening 2006 Knight 34,000 miles and it don't like towing without the rear camera.  Thanks, Tim

Weldex makes a color direct replacement I THINK.  Prior owner of our rig had upgraded to that but then said the color intensity was so minimal he is not sure it was worth it.   Anyway, I think I saw a receipt and it said rear and both side cameras  $1600 installed.

Oh and I hate the slow switch over went it changes with the turn signals 

On my 06 Knight 40DFD I upgraded to the 8” Color monitor 8464 quad view, allowing connection of my Garmin GVN53 (remote) GPS as camera 2.  I use the Cameras 1 & 2 Split View with GPS on the right and rear camera view on the left.  BTW: you may not need a new camera.  My intermittent “blue screen of death” was traced to bad power and/or ground connections.  The original Weldex cables have also had issues with lost signals wherein the image would grey out— rather than turn blue—and flicker.  I may replace the 60’ cable if I can figure out the best path from rear camera to the dash.

Edited by johncvandoren@gmail.com
Added info

I found my invoice and it looks like rvcams,com doesn't offer the same camera currently.  A quick search found this:  https://www.atvresearch.com/WDRV-7063C.aspx

That is the model replaced mine with. 

Steven

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, t_camper324 said:

Is there a way to check the backup part of the camera?  2007 Monaco Sig - both sides and inside work fine but no back.

Charles/Linda

I don’t understand your post. What do you mean by “inside” and “back-up part”?

Edited by johncvandoren@gmail.com
Clarification

You have an inside view camera?  It sounds like either your rear camera is out or has a bad connection.  Find all the connections and unhook and clean them and hook them up.  If you can have someone watch the monitor while you do it that could help if there's a short somewhere.  You should be able to get in the dash and check those connections lifting that access port just in front of the steering wheel.  Safely on a ladder, you can remove the rear camera and check the connection there too. 

1 hour ago, t_camper324 said:

The camera works only on the left side, the right side, and inside the coach but when it shifts to rear view to see our tow vehicle its blank.

Sorry!

No apology necessary.  Mine does not have an inside view & I wish it did.  Is your inside camera in the dash?  I’d like to see it, & add one, possibly using the A/V input, for whenever DW is out of her seat.

To respond to your original post, let me suggest you check the 6-pin cable, where it attaches to the monitor cable (as camera one or two, depending on your setup); or at the rear camera itself.  Those original cables have been prone to failure.  A new 60’ 6-pin cable runs $52 @ RV Cams.  Unless you find the rear camera is faulty, you may not need to upgrade.  They no longer make or sell the 8464M.  You may be able to order the 10” 1044M, but be aware it lacks the motorized camera controls.

good luck!