What is needed to backup a CAT C13 ECM with the custom vehicle settings

amphi_sc

Prompted by several threads on Cummins engines ( such as "2005 Sig - ECM Failure - Need Monaco parameters") I'm wondering what I need to ask my CAT service center to backup my ECM "just in case".  What software do they need to read the CAT ECM including the "custom features" beyond basic "get the engine running again" and do I need/want an electronic results file or paper copy?  My 2007 Beaver shares a lot with the similar Monacos.

49 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

Prompted by several threads on Cummins engines ( such as "2005 Sig - ECM Failure - Need Monaco parameters") I'm wondering what I need to ask my CAT service center to backup my ECM "just in case".  What software do they need to read the CAT ECM including the "custom features" beyond basic "get the engine running again" and do I need/want an electronic results file or paper copy?  My 2007 Beaver shares a lot with the similar Monacos.

Talk to a CAT dealer.  It is ASSUMED, and verified by Google, that CAT has a proprietary software like the Insite that Cummins uses.

Various youtube video’s on underground hacked versions….make cash payments to a “prince” in a developing country with a “not from around these here parts” last name and a “diagram” to make your own adapter…. LOL.

Also assuming that legitimate professional repair shops can purchase.  As with Cummins….what level of understanding as well as expertise and diagnostics skills do they have.

IF….and one assumes this to be true, you lost your ECM, IT MIGHT be resdable as in downloading the entire parameter file.  Maybe not….so, CAT or a reputable aftermarket company can supply a replacement ECM.  BUT, that just starts and allows to run.  As discussed in the recent topics, there are Dealer or Customer Input parameters.  These make the ECM function or integrate with the MH’s systems and your cruise, exhaust brake, instrument panel, etc are all variables.

You need a PDF file or a printout of the ECM.  IF CAT is similar….50 odd pages.  2 - 4 with some Monaco inputs like rear gear ratio, tire size or revs per mile, maybe tranny ratios, etc.  BUT…THE CRITICAL…. how does it interface with brake light signals, cruise settings, VIP wheel, exhaust brake is the REAL MEAT & POTATOES.  On Cummins, the fields are simple….like software.  Enabled or disabled, but you also need values like MPH that control the cruise.

Usually an hour’s shop time.  Make sure they supply you with a PDF that you can print from.  You also need to take a small flash drive and have them copy everything to it.  The Cummins has an option to “print or create” a report (the 50 pages) so it looks like something out of an Excel file.

CAT will also tell you if you need any software revisions or if you have codes that indicate a problem…

That’s my layman explanation….others know a lot more….

NOW….IF the Cat Dealer is an authorized Allison Dealer, get them to give you a PDF of the TCM or Transmission Control Module.  That has the settings and shift points and such…

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paul J A said:

A friend of mine had his Cat ECM go bad. Sent the engine serial number to a ECM retailer,  3 days later, it shipped. Up and running 3 days later.

No opinions or speculations. 

Maybe so.  All we know for certain….that on Cummins, there are missing data fields.  Most can be pulled from the MH info or doing some googling….tire size and revs per mile and rear end ratio.  However, the Cruise and the Exhaust brake info has to be input as to how Monaco specified and integrated it with the smart wheel.  A few others.  The tech that put in a 2008 Navigator (same as Executive) said that refurbished unit would work the engine….however, he would have to guess at the other parameters and their “options” and said that these functions might not work or might work poorly or “in reverse”.  That was why he wanted the original Monaco parameters. My buddy reported everything worked exactly as before.

Maybe CAT does it differently…..or whoever out it in guessed or understood…for example, the speedometer can be “calibrated” by changing the revs per mile in the ECM.  How’d the ECM guy know that.  The cruise disengagement is a function also.  You can set it to do many things, such as not work with the exhaust brake or have it limited as to the amount of acceleration….2 pages of this.

And, the settings are specific for a MH.  The Dynasty configuration will not work the same in a Camelot….as there is a difference in the cruise and brake signals and such.

BUT..hey…if it works….fine….but I would want mine back to the same configuration as Monaco programmed it…..unless I didn't care about certain things working or being wrong….

This is exactly what the OP, in the other thread….stranded in Alaska is asking for….the Monaco programming specifics.  His issues with the ABS and such may not have anything to do with the new ECM, but to get the smart wheel and speedometer and all the “Monaco had to specify this” stuff working….that is what he needs….which is year and model specific….

In this topic, the OP is asking how to get a copy so he is not stranded….as well as wanting the MH to operate as before.

Not speculation…facts….

10 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Maybe so.  All we know for certain….that on Cummins, there are missing data fields.  Most can be pulled from the MH info or doing some googling….tire size and revs per mile and rear end ratio.  However, the Cruise and the Exhaust brake info has to be input as to how Monaco specified and integrated it with the smart wheel.  A few others.  The tech that put in a 2008 Navigator (same as Executive) said that refurbished unit would work the engine….however, he would have to guess at the other parameters and their “options” and said that these functions might not work or might work poorly or “in reverse”.  That was why he wanted the original Monaco parameters. My buddy reported everything worked exactly as before.

Maybe CAT does it differently…..or whoever out it in guessed or understood…for example, the speedometer can be “calibrated” by changing the revs per mile in the ECM.  How’d the ECM guy know that.  The cruise disengagement is a function also.  You can set it to do many things, such as not work with the exhaust brake or have it limited as to the amount of acceleration….2 pages of this.

And, the settings are specific for a MH.  The Dynasty configuration will not work the same in a Camelot….as there is a difference in the cruise and brake signals and such.

BUT..hey…if it works….fine….but I would want mine back to the same configuration as Monaco programmed it…..unless I didn't care about certain things working or being wrong….

This is exactly what the OP, in the other thread….stranded in Alaska is asking for….the Monaco programming specifics.  His issues with the ABS and such may not have anything to do with the new ECM, but to get the smart wheel and speedometer and all the “Monaco had to specify this” stuff working….that is what he needs….which is year and model specific….

In this topic, the OP is asking how to get a copy so he is not stranded….as well as wanting the MH to operate as before.

Not speculation…facts….

Maybe so.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2023 at 8:50 AM, amphi_sc said:

What you need is the Caterpillar Electronic Technician (CAT ET) software.  If you google it you will find options on where to get it.  You don't need the latest version.  Version that is 10 years old would be just fine for your 2007 coach.