Hydraulic Slides - Stuck - "Whooring" sound trying to move

Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

First time "shakedown" camping trip our new to us with 2005 Monaco Dynasty.

All went well.  Getting ready to leave and ran into trouble.  Retracted passenger side bedroom slide and got stuck just before full close.

Tried to move out/in and just get "whooring" sound from the front of the coach.  Two front slides would not move either and same sound trying to retract.

Driver side rear bedroom slide retracted well (electric?).

Waiting on mobile RV help.

Luckily, I was smart enough to just stay at a KOA 20 minutes from home.

Any help is appreciated.

Matt Willey

17 minutes ago, willema said:

First time "shakedown" camping trip our new to us with 2005 Monaco Dynasty.

All went well.  Getting ready to leave and ran into trouble.  Retracted passenger side bedroom slide and got stuck just before full close.

Tried to move out/in and just get "whooring" sound from the front of the coach.  Two front slides would not move either and same sound trying to retract.

Driver side rear bedroom slide retracted well (electric?).

Waiting on mobile RV help.

Luckily, I was smart enough to just stay at a KOA 20 minutes from home.

Any help is appreciated.

Matt Willey

FWIW....I think getting a tech out is a good move.  For the FUTURE....when you use any hydraulic slide....let it move TOTALLY to the full retraction or extension....then PAUSE.  You will hear the "WHOORING" change frequency of pitch.  Hold for maybe a few seconds...or maybe TWO.  There is a "Balancing" cylinder that actually connects the TWO cylinders.  So, if one cylinder has a bit of a drag....it could catch and you would rip apart something.  If you watch the slides sometimes, and pay careful attention to BOTH corners...you might see one corner pause....just barely....then catch up.  SO, at least on mine... they sometimes sort of "move and pause"...exaggerated of course.  The balancing cylinder is then letting the one laggard slide (not moving or moving a bit slower) catch up.

If you do this...  HOLD and PAUSE each time, if there is any air or such....that clears it out.  IF you could move the slide the  OTHER WAY....then the advices would have been to "HOLD for a bit LONGER" the slide at the end of the travel.  Folks have had to do that a few times....stopped prematurely....then they reversed and HELD.   Try again....still not joy....do it a few times.  Ordinarily, that will (does? may?) clear it up.  Then when they use the slides, they KNOW to hold for the pause and change in sound...and most never have an issue.  This sounds like a valve issue...as in, it DOESN'T move.  Hearing the sound, does ELIMINATE a control issue from the switches....as in "HEY" one or BOTH or whatever don't work.  SO, the Solenoid that is turning on the motor WORKS....and the Motor is turning (or at least making noise)

May be simple...and a tech should be able to fix it.  Pull your manual so he can get to the prints....  that helps.  Show him the manual, assuming the prints are in the back.  There is also a section on how to "OMG....try to fix".  Your experience may not be there...but I would at least read it for info....as you may have to do things again.

Remember the old adage..  Owing an RV or a Boat gives you the opportunity to be resourceful and fix or get them fixed in EXOTIC places....LOL

Ask him what happened and post.  ALL learn...

In case you’re not aware, the pump and reservoir are under the storage compartment that’s under the flip up step in the entry steps, just remove the screws that hold that storage pan in and lift it out, that storage pan isn’t the best and age isn’t helping it so be cautious with it. Hopefully it’s a simple fix, today is going to be an educational day.

Best of luck!

PS. You could check the fluid level in the reservoir if you remove the storage tray underneath the step before the tech arrives.

Edited by Jdw12345

Back with my meeting with the Mobile RV guys.

There was absolutely NO hydraulic fluid in the reservoir under the step. Thanks Jeff for telling me where reservoir was located.

Thanks Tom.  I'll be much more careful with the slides in the future.  Thanks Ivan for the answer.

We followed the lines through the bays and to the 3 slide outs.  Could not find a leak.  I'll carry extra fluid.  I should probably have the lines replaced?

Thank you everyone for the help.  I'm very grateful.  The slides work perfect!

I guess in the future, everyone needs to start with me at 1 + 1 = 2

Matt Willey

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, willema said:

Back with my meeting with the Mobile RV guys.

There was absolutely NO hydraulic fluid in the reservoir under the step. Thanks Jeff for telling me where reservoir was located.

Thanks Tom.  I'll be much more careful with the slides in the future.  Thanks Ivan for the answer.

We followed the lines through the bays and to the 3 slide outs.  Could not find a leak.  I'll carry extra fluid.  I should probably have the lines replaced?

Thank you everyone for the help.  I'm very grateful.  The slides work perfect!

I guess in the future, everyone needs to start with me at 1 + 1 = 2

Matt Willey

WELL.... good for the fix.  Really GOOD for no leaks.  BUT WHERE?  I'll go out on a limb.  I assume that you are aware that the tank should be FULL when the slides are RETRACTED.  NOW, this may be incorrect...but if you have the HWH system, then the factory fill was CLEAR OIL.  HWH makes a special....we like it CLEAR oil.  Never knew that.. You can buy it a several RV stores...just have to look or call or go to the HWH site and get a list of "authorized repair" in your area.

BUT, I would probably purchase some.  I MIGHT even do a limited exchange...as in run out ALL the slides....use a hand syphon pump or a drill pump and totally, as best I could....suck that reservoir DRY.  If you wanted to do a complete exchange, then have a tech or do it yourself and crack the lines to each cylinder and drain them...but I HATE to mess with a fitting that is NOT leaking.

After you pull out the OLD....put in the CLEAR HWH.  Mark the side of the reservoir or just have a wood dowel and put if down until it touches the oil  or put a MARK on the dowel and insert it in....and make a new mark.  Keep it handy.  You can use the two marks...the TOP ONE and the OIL LEVEL one and monitor the level from time to time.  IF it was a small leak....and was NOT properly filled to begin with....then maybe there is NO issue..

Just a thought....good that you did NOT have to have parts expressed in and pump and such torn apart...

• Like 1

Matt, fwiw, a couple of years ago I had a problem with my slide system and called HWH and spoke to a gentleman named Joe I believe, at any rate he informed me that the clear fluid they recommended was the same as ATF DEXRON III, it just doesn’t have the red coloring added, that’s what he told me, to my understanding it’s equivalent nowadays is all purpose ATF. One thing to consider when you find the root cause of your fluid shortage might be to consider using TranSynd 668 fluid, it’s the latest ATF recommended for your Alison transmission and can also be used in the hydraulic system that powers your power steering and cooling fan. That would just reduce the types of fluid you need to carry in your spare parts tote.  That’s my take on ATF fluids, Im guessing others will have differing opinions.

Good luck with your search for a leak, hopefully you don’t actually have one!

Edited by Jdw12345
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1