Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Steve P said:

@Ted Carbonaro Just out of curiosity... What does a reasonably priced roof ladder from REV cost these days?  And is it full length, only top half, or only bottom half?

$824.75, which DOES include shipping. $464.75, if you pick it up at REV.

Edited by FLynes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The center section of my ladder was damaged by the previous owner backing into a tree.  I purchased a generic RV ladder from Amazon for under $200.  Because the generic ladder was not a perfect fit,  I reused the top portion of the factory ladder where it rounds over the top and bolts to the RV roof.  I replaced the damaged straight section of the factory ladder with the straight section of the generic ladder.   I used an inexpensive plumbers pipe cutter to cut the ladder sections.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ERQ1JW

https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter

The generic ladder was about 1 inch narrower than the factory ladder, so that required drilling some new holes to mount it to the RV body with pop rivets.

Edited by major_west
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, major_west said:

The center section of my ladder was damaged by the previous owner backing into a tree.  I purchased a generic RV ladder from Amazon for under $200.  Because the generic ladder was not a perfect fit,  I reused the top portion of the factory ladder where it rounds over the top and bolts to the RV roof.  I replaced the damaged straight section of the factory ladder with the straight section of the generic ladder.   I used an inexpensive plumbers pipe cutter to cut the ladder sections.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ERQ1JW

https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter

The generic ladder was about 1 inch narrower than the factory ladder, so that required drilling some new holes to mount it to the RV body with pop rivets.

Ours was damaged by the dealership and replaced with an aftermarket, which made my OCD twitch beyond control, and it couldn’t hold a candle to the quality, fit & finish of the REV replacement. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I want to say a great big thank you for all the responses regarding my ladder. I had not tried the new avenue thinking it would not be available due to the age of my RV. I will definitely call Rev Group in Oregon. And to Mike Wardell, thanks for the offer of the bottom section. I need the top section. I backed into the gutter on my garage and ruined my ladder, cracked the fiberglass and crushed the gutter. Ouch!!!! $$$$$. We really haven't used it yet and I completely forgot that I have a rear camera. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JTerry said:

I want to say a great big thank you for all the responses regarding my ladder. I had not tried the new avenue thinking it would not be available due to the age of my RV. I will definitely call Rev Group in Oregon. And to Mike Wardell, thanks for the offer of the bottom section. I need the top section. I backed into the gutter on my garage and ruined my ladder, cracked the fiberglass and crushed the gutter. Ouch!!!! $$$$$. We really haven't used it yet and I completely forgot that I have a rear camera. 

Jay, are you fully insured? We had an issue with our toad coming uncoupled, thankfully the safety cables prevented it from continuing on its trajectory toward the Texaco Mini Mart, but it slingshotted back into the coach. Our insurance took care of everything, and you’d never know anything had ever happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Ray Davis
11 hours ago, FLynes said:

Jay, are you fully insured? We had an issue with our toad coming uncoupled, thankfully the safety cables prevented it from continuing on its trajectory toward the Texaco Mini Mart, but it slingshotted back into the coach. Our insurance took care of everything, and you’d never know anything had ever happened.

Wow,  I bet that made your xxx pinch the seat cover.    What came loose?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

Wow,  I bet that made your xxx pinch the seat cover.    What came loose?

The pucker factor pegged the meter for sure, it’s a terrible feeling knowing that you can’t do a thing to stop what’s happening. It could have been worse, I couldn’t find my safety cables before we left on the trip and decided to leave without them…it was the flat we got on the toad that convinced me to stop and buy new ones.

The nut on the stinger’s ball stripped right off…never seen that happen before, and the stinger was two years old and used maybe a dozen times.

I should back up a bit and say that we were towing our Jeep CJ-5 at the time, which has an a-frame hitch that fits on the front bumper and uses a 2” ball mount.

For all intents and purposes, once it’s attached to the stinger, it’s not supposed to go anywhere. The drawback is that there’s no shock absorption whatsoever. When we turned right, toward the fuel pumps, the a-frame shock-loaded the ball, which stripped right off the nut.

Now that we have the Jeep JKU, we have a NSA ReadyBrake system.

Edited by FLynes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Just now reading this topic.

I thought I had lost the lower removable portion of my ladder, so I decided to buy a new generic ladder.  At your favorite internet store, search for "telescopic ladder".  I bought one that is 3 feet higher than my roof so I would have something to hang onto when my foot touches the rooftop.  I ended up finding my OEM ladder section, so I now have 2 ways to get to the roof.  The telescopic ladder lies compact and flat in either of my sliding bay trays.  Very minimal space.

image.png.964858ca4775332555325a2fe0b5a455.png

Note that if you are squeamish using a ladder with a little flex (bounce), this may not be a solution for you, even though it is rated for quite a bit of weight.  When I place it against the side of my coach, I like to place it touching the side of an open slide for added safety.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the same ladder... 14ft, 27lbs, 250lb load limit.  I use short ~12" pieces of pipe insulation around the top crossbar and strategically on two opposite verticals to protect the paint when leaning it against the coach.  It's much easier to move around and transport than my "Little Giant" telescoping ladder.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2023 at 6:41 PM, JTerry said:

I want to say a great big thank you for all the responses regarding my ladder. I had not tried the new avenue thinking it would not be available due to the age of my RV. I will definitely call Rev Group in Oregon. And to Mike Wardell, thanks for the offer of the bottom section. I need the top section. I backed into the gutter on my garage and ruined my ladder, cracked the fiberglass and crushed the gutter. Ouch!!!! $$$$$. We really haven't used it yet and I completely forgot that I have a rear camera. 

https://www.strombergcarlson.com/product-category/rv-ladders/

 

https://www.google.com/search?q=rec+pro+ladders&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS1020US1020&oq=rec+pro+ladders&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIKCAEQABgKGBYYHjINCAIQABiGAxiABBiKBTINCAMQABiGAxiABBiKBdIBCDUzMDdqMGo3qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Paul, I actually am having an RV tech to order the ladder for me. He took measurements and is confident he can order one that will work,

Thanks again,

Jay

Thank you Jeff and Steve for your info on the roof ladder.

Jay

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2023 at 4:52 PM, Mike Wardell said:

Hi Jay, 

I have a bottom section. Not sure what ladder is on an 09 Dynasty. I can send pictures and measurements if you want. 

Mike Wardell

I am looking for a bottom section of the ladder.  Not sure it would match though.  Pictures?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Likewise, I'm looking for a lower ladder section which is a hinge type of swing down from the upper section, if anyone has one for sale. Send pics & possible measurements for comparison & I will respond back regardless.

Thanks!

Bart from Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ripped my ladder off on a trip. I was tired, it was raining, and the only spot in the rest area suddenly looked too tight so I turned away instead of into it. Thought I could clear the awkwardly parked truck but the tail overhang was a tiny bit more than I accounted for, got a couple scratches on the corner and my bicycle which was mounted on the ladder caught on the semi trailer. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise, a shop that did bodywork on the rear cap a few months earlier didn’t seal the ladder mounts properly and the star nuts were badly rusted. If I’d have discovered the disintegrating star nuts by the ladder failing when I was 10 feet off the ground it would have been bad. 

Since I’m now very paranoid about trusting my life to unseen rusting star nuts I bought a Little Giant ladder and mounted 2 ladder mounts on the rear cap to transport it.

Edited by jimc99999
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...