Back up lights

Just Jim

I was backing into a camp site a month ago and could not see very well at all...  was the first time doing it in the dark.  So, leaving Friday for another trip and went out to check to see if the back up lights were working or if one was burned out.  No back up lights at all with engine running, in reverse and air brake off.  Brake and turn signals work.  Sort of a related question, the coach has two larger what look to be fog/driving lights on the lower back bumper... would these be additional back up lights and should they come on when put into reverse or is there a switch I have not found?  I attached a picture of the back. 

Suggestions on where to start looking for a source?  How should I test for power to the lights, etc.....not really comfortable with the engine running, in reverse and leaving the parking brake on and then getting behind the coach.  LOL.

Cummins Park.jpg

The docking lights on the sides come on when I hit the switch, but not the two on the back bumper.  I looked at the wiring diagram for the tail lights, etc and I don't see those indicated in the wiring.  I'll find the page that shows the docking lights and see if those are on that circuit.

The brake/turn signal lenses have back up lights in them, but they do not come on when shifted to reverse.  The side docking lights work, but the two lower bumper lights in the back do not.  I checked my wiring diagram book and it does not show the docking lights, so I can't tell if the rear lights are wired to the side lights.  It appears that Ktloah has something similar as my set up so I'm going under the assumption they are all wired together as that would make sense.

50 minutes ago, ktloah said:

Your rear lights shown, should be on the docking light switch...pull a light out and check to see if your getting voltage. I replaced mine with LED

How do you remove those rear lights?  They are inside of a fiberglass recessed area and I don't see any bolts, etc.  There is a wire going into the top from inside the engine bay that I may could disconnect to check for voltage, but to remove the entire light is not an obvious solution.  Do you remember what light you used as a replacement?

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

upon further review... I got the wires off and tested the voltage and had zero.  Figured out how to get the light out and put 12v to it from the battery and it worked.  Tried the other one and it did not, so I removed it too and noticed that one of the wires had been caught in the tightened bolt and had a bare spot.  The first time I tested while still installed and again, it did not work.  Once I took it out and provided power it worked.  So... I assume it must have shorted to ground?  blew a fuse?  Now, the question is where is that fuse?  Does it still make sense that the side docking lights work and the rear lights would have a fuse separate from them?  The rear lights seem to be a much higher wattage as when I got them working they really put off a lot of heat.  I'm done for the night, but would love to have some ideas for how to proceed tomorrow.    It really would have been nice if there was a schematic for these and seems strange that I don't have it.  If anyone else could check their wiring manual, perhaps that page is missing in mine.  Thanks again for any insight.

6 hours ago, ktloah said:

I replaced my rear backup lights with LED. They are pricey but they work great. I just Googled 4x6 led lights and found what I liked...mine work in reverse as well as with the docking light switch..

That is interesting Ronnie, that they work with both, shifting into reverse and as dock lights.  Might explain why my side dock lights work, but the rears don't.  My coach is missing the diagram for the fuses in the FRB, so I can't tell which is the back up lights.  Mine has three identical looking blocks with lots of 15 amp fuses.