water pump not working

Just Jim
Go to solution Solved by Just Jim,

So... swapped out the old multi-switch and the pump and still have the problem.  Not really surprised as this seems to be a low voltage issue coming to the multi-switch latch controller.  One thing new I have noticed is when pressing any of the level monitor buttons, ie battery, propane, black tank, etc... a light flickers and the panel lights go out.  I am thinking of providing a known 12 volt power source to the incoming wire on the multi-switch to see if the system then works... I think that would narrow down the source as being between the FRB 30 amp fuse and the multi-switch.  If anyone has any other suggestions, I am certainly open.  thanks

Swapping parts out without identifying exactly what your problem is ends up spending money unnecessarily.

Use a known good jumper wire connected to a known good 12 VDC positive source and wire it directly to the 12 V lug on the multiplex then test your system.

If it all works as it should then you have to start backtracking the 12 VDC positive wire source to see where the problem lies upstream.

If the system doesn't work, then it is downstream from the multiplex switch. The only devices downstream are the relay and the pump.

• Solution

Well... I have a victory, even if it is a somewhat unsatisfying victory.  I reviewed the wiring diagram and figured out the source wire coming in was a green wire.  I tested the system with a known good 12v source and it worked.  So I knew it was somewhere from the FRB to the water pump bay.  Knowing it was a large green wire helped me source it in the FRB (no labels for which fuse is which).  There was a large green wire that was bent pretty badly going into its plug, so I straighten it a little.  I also replaced the fuse, which was not blown, but it look pretty old.  Anyway, I then checked the voltage at the water pump bay and had 12v on the large green wire.  Hooked everything back up and have a functioning water pump!!!  Like I said... not a very satisfying victory, because I'm not really sure what fixed it... but it is working.  Thanks everyone.

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

Well... I have a victory, even if it is a somewhat unsatisfying victory.  I reviewed the wiring diagram and figured out the source wire coming in was a green wire.  I tested the system with a known good 12v source and it worked.  So I knew it was somewhere from the FRB to the water pump bay.  Knowing it was a large green wire helped me source it in the FRB (no labels for which fuse is which).  There was a large green wire that was bent pretty badly going into its plug, so I straighten it a little.  I also replaced the fuse, which was not blown, but it look pretty old.  Anyway, I then checked the voltage at the water pump bay and had 12v on the large green wire.  Hooked everything back up and have a functioning water pump!!!  Like I said... not a very satisfying victory, because I'm not really sure what fixed it... but it is working.  Thanks everyone.

You did GREAT.  The Green wire is the Fused power lead to the Pump Controller.  Finding out that you did NOT have a full 12 VDC going to the controller was the first step.  The other terminals are for the "Switches" and the Power to the Pump.  So, you fixed the issue.  If the "green wire" is a bit shopworn where it plugs in, then you can, in the future, splice in a piece of wire...color of you choice.  Just make sure it is the SAME size (AWG #) as the green wire.  The bent wire may have an internal issue as some of the strands may be cut or deformed.  This will give you a High Resistance connection, so that, under load...as in the pump is running, the voltage will be low.  Not uncommon and I would examine the wire and then, if necessary use a Crimping tool and a Butt connector to cut out and replace the "beat up" portion of the green wire.

Guest Ray Davis

Jim, I would pat myself on the back just like I knew exactly what I was doing all the time.   I bet the green wire you straightened out was the culprit,  or maybe that fuse was bad, oh well you'll know where to start next time.