2009 HR Navigator - CCM Kongsberg Chassis. Tow Plug Connection and issues. Thanks in Advance.

Currently my Tow Plug Connection on the rear of the Motorhome has a constant 12 Volts on the Right Turn & Stop, Left Turn & Stop, Brake Control, and Backup connection. The lights on the motorhome all work correctly. I've learned that this Tow Plug Connection is controlled through a separate system and isn't tied into the wiring system that controls the lights on the Motorhome.  I've also learned that this is done through a separate control system that is mounted on the ceiling of one of the storage bays.  My question is in which bay and does anyone have experience with this problem and how to resolve it including possible pictures?

As a side can I tap into the system wiring for the taillights to do a work around until I can locate and repair this independent module that feeds the Tow Plug Connection? I have a 09 Navigator Bismark 45 ft.  This coach has a Multiplex System that is the Königsberg (Spelling ?)?

Roger 

HR 09 Navigator  

Wow, that must be an awesome coach!  I doubt the Kongsberg multiplex has anything to do with your trailer lights.  

These coaches require a 3 to 2 trailer adapter.  This is because your coach has separate turn signals from the brake lights and trailers are combined brake/tail lights.  

I've had to replace this adapter on several coaches.  It should be located inside the rear electrical box just to the right of the engine.   The electrical box is covered so you'll need to remove the cover.  

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-56187-Powered-2-Wire-Converter/dp/B003AT2W54/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3IV3UPDYSTTR9&keywords=3+to+2+trailer+adapter&qid=1701966858&sprefix=3+to+2+trailer+adaper%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-9

Edited by vito.a
  • Like 1

Just a shot, but I would do some head bumping exploring from the socket following the harness. Those modules could be anywhere of course but you might get lucky and find it closer to the socket than you might think. 

Myron,

I've done an extensive search back by the "Plug In" and also in the engine compartment with no luck. I'm told it is in one of the bay ceilings. I'm also told that the troubleshooting procedure for the box, once found, isn't easy. I'm considering a work around where I tap into the lights on the back of the motorhome.  For the life of me I don't understand why Monaco would create an entire separate system for the "The Tow Plug connector" that isn't tied into the Taillight System on the back of the coach.

Open your engine acess door. Look on the right side, maybe 12" over from the engine. There is a covered panel.  Most panels by now will have oil change stickers stuck on the cover. 

Remove the cover and your trailer light adapter is inside. Wires from it will route down to the trailer light plug.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 10:55 AM, tammy21@wans.net said:

Currently my Tow Plug Connection on the rear of the Motorhome has a constant 12 Volts on the Right Turn & Stop, Left Turn & Stop, Brake Control, and Backup connection. The lights on the motorhome all work correctly. I've learned that this Tow Plug Connection is controlled through a separate system and isn't tied into the wiring system that controls the lights on the Motorhome.  I've also learned that this is done through a separate control system that is mounted on the ceiling of one of the storage bays.  My question is in which bay and does anyone have experience with this problem and how to resolve it including possible pictures?

As a side can I tap into the system wiring for the taillights to do a work around until I can locate and repair this independent module that feeds the Tow Plug Connection? I have a 09 Navigator Bismark 45 ft.  This coach has a Multiplex System that is the Königsberg (Spelling ?)?

Roger 

HR 09 Navigator  

On your coach the trailer wires come directly out of the rear Kongsberg CCM module.  This module is located in the ceiling between the frame rails of the first bay behind the steer axle.  On connector J3 you will find the wires you need.  See attached J3 wire listing.

These wires come as outputs from electronic MOSFET relays internal to the CCM.  The outputs will show 12 volts on all of the trailer wires until you put a load on the circuit.  Instead of testing with a voltmeter use a 12 volt light tester to put a load on the circuit.

You should NOT just tap into the existing rear lights.  Over time you will burn up the MOSFET outputs in the rear CCM that feeds the coach rear lights if you add trailer lights to that circuit.

Hope all this helps explain how your system works.

Screenshot_20231212-192358.png

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2009 HR Navigator - CCM Kongsberg Chassis. Tow Plug Connection and issues. Thanks in Advance.
15 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

On your coach the trailer wires come directly out of the rear Kongsberg CCM module.  This module is located in the ceiling between the frame rails of the first bay behind the steer axle.  On connector J3 you will find the wires you need.  See attached J3 wire listing.

These wires come as outputs from electronic MOSFET relays internal to the CCM.  The outputs will show 12 volts on all of the trailer wires until you put a load on the circuit.  Instead of testing with a voltmeter use a 12 volt light tester to put a load on the circuit.

You should NOT just tap into the existing rear lights.  Over time you will burn up the MOSFET outputs in the rear CCM that feeds the coach rear lights if you add trailer lights to that circuit.

Hope all this helps explain how your system works.

Screenshot_20231212-192358.png

CCM is a synonym for ???  

My guess. Computer Control Module

Leave it to an engineer to design something with 100 parts instead of using a few simple relays. I have seen it too often. 

If you ended up with a problem with the module you could probably isolate that wiring, (snip and secure), then possibly use the tail light circuits as is the old fashioned way.

However, I had an issue with a 2012 Ford Edge that rejected my backup lights when I used that line to release the brakes on my boat while backing it. The computer controlled system saw the extra load and disconnected the circuit until it was reset by restarting the engine. A simple relay that did not add enough load the circuit was used to solve that issue.