How do the Pros replace Stop Rings?

My first encounter with a difficult Stop Ring was rebuilding my Holset HX35W Turbo.  I bent the stop ring trying to force it in and ending up buying another kit.

My second encounter with a difficult Stop Ring was yesterday, replacing a chipped pinion Gear on my Delco-Remy MT28 starter.  I already replaced the starter (unbranded $120) last year, but could not bring myself to throw away the original Delco-Remy.  A year ago I sourced the pinion gear/clutch assembly, and a month ago I sourced the repair kit.  Again, it was installing the Stop Ring that gave me trouble.  I tried force, ending up bending the ring a little, straightened the ring then tried the method show below in the picture.  After maybe 100 tries the Stop Ring popped into the Pinion Stop.  Now I have a spare starter,HOWDOTHEPROSINSTALLSTOPRINGS.thumb.jpg.bf587dcebb83f1d05d2ec3d612ddb61f.jpg but there MUST be a better way? 

Not a snap ring.  That would be easy. And the split ring is round, like 3/64" diameter high strength wire that has no holes in it. I picture in my mind a machined tube, perhaps split twice, that can be fitted over the ring once it is placed in the groove and then a hose clamp compressing this machined tube, then driving the Stop ring over the split ring in one quick movement.  That would be a good tool to include in the rebuild kit. 

Robert, I see what you mean. I think I would have made a plate with a hole a little larger than the shaft that could slide under the stop on 3 sides. ---------u------------ Make it long enough to clear the armature in a vice so the armature can be held by this device holding the shaft. Use a brass drift or lead hammer to tap the shaft down without damaging it. Without a vice you could use the same piece with a second without a center hole and a couple of bolts to make a puller. Tom