How to bypass the control board

Chad A

I have searched and read many threads on the control board malfunctions and bypassing it to get power to the fuel pump. 

What I cannot find, but thought I had read, was how to actually bypass the control board. 

Can someone walk me through the process of this bypass please and thank you. I need the generator to run and want to make sure that it is the control board before I buy a replacement. 

And, if the bypass works I might just use it like this if there is no reason why not too. 

Is this all I need to do in order to make it run? Hit the run button after I connect power to the fuel pump? It will run until I cut power to the fuel pump then?

Sorry for all the questions. Don’t want to make problems worse. 

The pump will run until you remove its power, just like with priming and fuel will just return to the tank until you start it. The generator will stop with the regular switch because the fuel actuator should cut off but you can kill it either way except it would throw a code. Once you locate the pump connectors (it may take some fishing for them), the simple male on pump side is where positive comes on. Confirmed by a physical pump marking.

IMG_20231229_165249810.jpg

Edited by Ivan K
Needed to confirm the pump power polarity
  • Like 1

Thank you for the help!!  Found the pump and am looking at the wires. Need to be a contortionist to see anything let alone get to it. 

I am used to working with a little more room in my old Willys jeeps!!

Can I take a battery and hook up both positive and negative from the pump to a regular battery with a switch on the positive to see if this is my issue? Should not be a problem running for a couple hours like this no?

Okay. I guess I will have to stay diligent. 

I am going to make pigtails and attach to both ends. Hopefully is will help both this time and down the road. 

Thanks for the help!

An other option would be to cut or remove the corresponding pin on controller connector and use that lead for power to pump, if you can reach it. The pin number and connector would depend on your Spec code, A, B or C+ are different. Unless you want to take the cover apart...

So, I went for it and pulled the connectors apart. I don’t know how I will ever get them back together but that is another worry for another day. 

I grounded the ground wire to a bolt on the cover. I then ran the hot to the run bay and plugged it into a spare fuse spot. Plugged in a 5 amp fuse and the fuel pump started humming along. 

I fired it up and turned on the heat pumps and lights. It has been running for an hour and a half with no issues that I can tell. Must be the board. 

Now I need to decide if I replace the board and figure out a way to hook it back up to the fuel pump or if I rig up a permanent switch inside the cabin and turn it on manually. 

Board is more expensive but done right, manually switching the fuel pump is way cheaper but not factory and can’t start the generator from outside or the bedroom. 

Decisions decisions. 

Thank you for all the help. 

For now, I think I will run a simple switch from the front run bay off of the fuse I am currently using up to the armrest drivers side. 

Then run a hit from that through the dash and to the pump. 

Should be about $20 and and an hour or so of time. 

24 minutes ago, Chad A said:

For now, I think I will run a simple switch from the front run bay off of the fuse I am currently using up to the armrest drivers side.

Should be about $20 and and an hour or so of time.

$20 bucks is a lot cheaper than a control board! 

Maybe add a light so you don't forget to turn the pump off. 

- bob