How do you access leveling jack hydraulics to add fluid?

Go to solution Solved by vito.a,

We have a 40' 2005 Safari Gazelle, diesel Motorhome. Holiday Rambler manufactured it before Monaco bought them out.

Our coach book says there is a compartment to access Levelling Jacks reservoir on drivers side behind back wheels. The only thing behind the drivers side back wheel is the radiator. No compartment that we can find. Does anybody have any idea as to where we can find access to the auto leveling jacks fluid reservoir?

1 more question since I'm asking - Can peeling clearcoat be repaired?

Thank you for any info. Appreciate your time.

Linda

Most of the jack pumps I've seen are in the front of the coach, but I'm not familiar with your particular vehicle.  Perhaps someone that has experience with your coach will chime in.  If you turn on the system and have someone press a button you may hear the pump running and can track it down.  Fixing peeling clear coat can be very difficult.  The paint is not very thick and difficult to sand down in order to re apply the clear coat.

• Like 1

• Solution

Safari purchased Beaver in 1994.  Monaco then purchased Safari/Beaver in 2002.  

By 2005 your coach should be similar to the Monaco coaches.  Our hydraulic leveling system is passenger side up front under the entry steps.  

Sometimes you can remove a step panel for access and sometimes you go in from the generator compartment and to the left under the steps.  

Have one person operate the leveling pumps while another listens in that area.  

Your last question about peeling clearcoat.  Yes, it can be repaired, but not by just reapplying clear coat.  The area must be sanded and repainted and then the clear must be applied according to the paint manufacturer's instructions (usually within 24 hours).  Essentially, it must be repainted with a base coat and then the clear coat.  

Also, Monaco purchased Holiday Rambler from Harley Davidson back in 1996.  I don't think Holiday Rambler ever owned Safari.  

Good luck!

Edited by vito.a
  • Like 1

My hydraulic stuff is behind the driver's side rear wheel.  In a compartment which secures with keyed screws like the lock nuts on mag wheels

• Like 1

Linda, I have a 2005 40ft Safari Cheetah so the units may be similar. In my coach the reservoir is accessed either via the last basement door on the curb (passenger) side or on the passenger side via the back right door where you also access the oil dipstick etc.. The tank is not in the back right basement area as that houses the inverter/converter. It is a black cylinder about 8" in diameter and about 12" long with a black cap. Sorry I do not have pictures.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the suggestions and help. Hubby found it in RV front where the generator slides out. Located on passenger side above eye level. 🙃 Thanks again!

Added fluid to reservoir only to find 1 jack was not working.🤬 The extend and retract switch for that jack was bad. Bought one from Amazon and now all jacks are extending and retracting as they should.🙂

On 2/17/2024 at 9:40 AM, grtdnm said:

Thank you all for the suggestions and help. Hubby found it in RV front where the generator slides out. Located on passenger side above eye level. 🙃 Thanks again!

Added fluid to reservoir only to find 1 jack was not working.🤬 The extend and retract switch for that jack was bad. Bought one from Amazon and now all jacks are extending and retracting as they should.🙂

Please show us a picture of what you replaced and part you got from Amazon