Window Removal

Go to solution Solved by Venturer,

The drivers side window is fogged between the panes. A service firm is coming tomorrow to remove it and clean it up. I thought I would save them some time and remove most of the screws that secure the inner and outer frames together. The top has limited space to work in due to the power night shade being secured there. Can it be removed to create more working space? I see two clips on it, however, hesitate to get into it without better knowledge of the process. I'm guessing it would drop down if the two clips were released and hopefully with enough wire to let it down. I'm hoping this isn't their first Monaco to work on. Has anyone gone through this type of repair?  Thanks

1 hour ago, Venturer said:

The drivers side window is fogged between the panes. A service firm is coming tomorrow to remove it and clean it up. I thought I would save them some time and remove most of the screws that secure the inner and outer frames together. The top has limited space to work in due to the power night shade being secured there. Can it be removed to create more working space? I see two clips on it, however, hesitate to get into it without better knowledge of the process. I'm guessing it would drop down if the two clips were released and hopefully with enough wire to let it down. I'm hoping this isn't their first Monaco to work on. Has anyone gone through this type of repair?  Thanks

I doubt they will need it pulled out or  down.   But do NOT mess with the shade unless absolutely positively necessary.  You will regret it and wished you had lived with the fogged window…

My whole drivers window was pulled….nothing was taken out or down…..They have short, stubby ratchets or allen wrenches or flex extensions.  I had one screw that was less than 1-1/2” from the dash.  I knew how to get it out.  They did it in less than a minute.  These are windows guys….they don’t take to take out shades and such.  Yes, windows and blinds and valences.

Let them do it….watch and learn

2 hours ago, Venturer said:

I'm hoping this isn't their first Monaco to work on. Has anyone gone through this type of repair?  Thanks

If they send the same pair, they worked on a friends Monaco, and a neighbor's Newmar, a few weeks ago.

I suspect the window has been removed before. The dreaded front lower corner is missing one screw and another is broken off. I also found a screw that was half way out. I'll take Toms advise and just watch the experts do this one. The company is Auto Glass Boss from Mesa, AZ. I saw them at Quartzite, so mine probably isn't their first Monaco Rodeo.  

Glad I waited. It took two guys a couple of hours to remove the window, defog all three sections, reseal and install it. It comes with a 4 year warrantee too. The power shade came out with ease when the two clips were opened and snapped back into place as quick. After I saw it out, the mount is the same as a type we have in our home. I would recommend them to anyone. 

FWIW they are going to do 14 windows on a Fleetwood tomorrow. I can't imagine that many fogged windows on one coach.   

Edited by Venturer

Happy to hear that it worked out well for you. I’m sure they did a good job but a suggestion to check one thing. At the bottom where the slider window meets the fixed glass one, be sure it has some sealant there to prevent water from running down inside at that point. This was an issue with mine after fog repair and my previous owner didn’t take care of it ant it caused delaminating nelow the window. 

On mine, it looks like water would run down the frame inside to the bottom corner, and visible from the driver seat. The rubber seal is bent over at the bottom and could let water run in. I'll try to reshape it with a hair dryer to conform to the window when shut. The repair tech stopped by after the Fleetwood job. He repaired 20 windows on that coach. $2800. I asked what causes them to fog after time. He said some is due to faulty sealing when new. Most are assembled at low altitudes. After some time, going up to 9-10,000', the pressure between the panes is too great for the seal to hold. Once that happens, temperature and humidity changes can cause it to fog. Some get etched beyond repair. An easy way to check is to briefly wave a propane torch across the fogged area. If it instantly clears for a few seconds, it's repairable.  If not, a new window is needed. 

Edited by Venturer