2005 HR Ambassador; Overhead lights under TV console won’t turn off

saflyer
Go to solution Solved by Dwight Lindsey,

Went to the coach tonight. The two lights under the TV console were on. Nobody remembers turning then on. I tried to tap them off but no luck. Operating on battery power. Since they are both behaving the same way it must be a system problem. Where should I look short of disconnecting the house batteries?

Ed              
2005 HR Ambassador

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2005 HR Ambassador; Overhead lights under TV console won’t turn off
11 hours ago, saflyer said:

Went to the coach tonight. The two lights under the TV console were on. Nobody remembers turning then on. I tried to tap them off but no luck. Operating on battery power. Since they are both behaving the same way it must be a system problem. Where should I look short of disconnecting the house batteries?

Ed              
2005 HR Ambassador

Check page 315 of your manual.  If you haven’t reviewed the electrical sections, 8 & 9, that might be advisable..

12 hours ago, Dwight Lindsey said:

Rotate your headlight switch to the off position

Interesting. I was rotating the switch to see if there is a set screw or some such to remove the knob. I need to do that to remove the switch since my headlights don’t work, bright or dim. I only have parking lights. So that brings up the subject of how to remove the switch. I can access the back of the switch by removing the cover of the dash but need to remove the knob to remove the switch. How is this accomplished. 

Am I approaching this correctly or should I troubleshoot elsewhere first? Is there a good source for the switch? I have heard it’s an old standard that should be available at any auto parts store.

BTW, thanks Tom for going easy on me.

23 minutes ago, Frank Bergamo said:

The switch has a button on it to release the knob. Wiggle the knob as you press the button and it should pop out. Hope this helps, good luck!

Can you be more specific about the location of the button? Is it on the part of the switch behind the dash? I have a very limited view of it there due to the left vent hose obstructing the view. I could remove the hose but am afraid this will just introduce new problems. Doing it mostly by feel now.

Edited by saflyer
Change word

35 minutes ago, saflyer said:

So that brings up the subject of how to remove the switch. I can access the back of the switch by removing the cover of the dash but need to remove the knob to remove the switch. How is this accomplished.

Headlight switch knob removal -

In my case it wasn't the switch, but after fiddling with several harnesses the lights mysteriously started working.  I couldn't find any suspect connections . . . .

Or in your case maybe it is the switch . . .

- bob

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Headlight switch knob removal -

In my case it wasn't the switch, but after fiddling with several harnesses the lights mysteriously started working.  I couldn't find any suspect connections . . . .

Or in your case maybe it is the switch . . .

- bob

Thanks. Very useful. Mine is slightly different as to the nut that holds it to the dash. Shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll go back out and try to locate the button again.

6 minutes ago, saflyer said:

Thanks. Very useful. Mine is slightly different as to the nut that holds it to the dash. Shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll go back out and try to locate the button again.

Oh yeah, the headlight knob MUST in the fully extended position (lights on).  I used a coin under my finger/thumb to keep from poking into said digit.  You still have to fiddle with shaft and button. 

- b

On 2/21/2024 at 10:02 AM, saflyer said:

Can you be more specific about the location of the button? Is it on the part of the switch behind the dash? I have a very limited view of it there due to the left vent hose obstructing the view. I could remove the hose but am afraid this will just introduce new problems. Doing it mostly by feel now.

Success. Got the light switch out. Now to test it. 

7 minutes ago, saflyer said:

Success. Got the light switch out. Now to test it. 

You can take it apart, too.  Bend the two tabs on sides and everything comes apart.  *AND* (the best part) it'll go back together again!

- bob

7 hours ago, cbr046 said:

You can take it apart, too.  Bend the two tabs on sides and everything comes apart.  *AND* (the best part) it'll go back together again!

- bob

Got the switch out. There are far more wires than I expected. They are all white and only a couple labeled and they were for panel dimming. Oh well, it’s off to the shop we go.

19 hours ago, cbr046 said:

This might help.  Just ignore the colors.

HeadlightSwitch1.webp.c5329830a40b9ffa9299c7642de0ada3.webp

This is mine. At least six wire all of which are white and only three labeled. Behind my abilities. Took it to the shop.

IMG_8603.jpeg

Edited by saflyer

Again, driving home on I-20 last night the lights went out in Georgia. #$&%@!!!

Pulled in a truck stop, wiggled all the harnesses & connectors on the pc board in the FRB, wiggled all the relays and connections I could find, went inside and wiggled the harnesses under the transmission, beat HARD on the dash, turned on the lights and they WORKED!  Then I repeated all that wiggling and pounding with the lights on and couldn't get them to fail.  Drove an hour today lights on and couldn't get them to fail.  Oh, and my on-off-on Warning Light went out and stayed out after dumping the black & grey tanks.  It had been on since leaving Friday. 

Never a dull moment.

- bob