VIP SM209 board repairs

When I purchased my coach last May it had a failed VIP SM209 board. and I replaced it with a used board from Visone RV. All is good now but I would like to have the bad board repaired so I have a spare onboard. I modified the headlight circuit so that the VIP SM209 board only operates relays for the headlight circuits. Searching the internet has put me onto Radwell and they offer replacements as well as repairing existing boards. https://www.radwell.com/en-US/Buy/VEHICLE IMPROVEMENT PRODUCTS/VEHICLE IMPROVEMENT PRODUCTS/SM209 Anyone have knowledge of their service?

I don't have knowledge of them but in 2020 I bought a new VIP controller from VIP. They built it for me with about 10 day lead time. I also wired my headlights to a relay. 

Edited by timaz996

32 minutes ago, Joint Venture said:

When I purchased my coach last May it had a failed VIP SM209 board. and I replaced it with a used board from Visone RV. All is good now but I would like to have the bad board repaired so I have a spare onboard. I modified the headlight circuit so that the VIP SM209 board only operates relays for the headlight circuits. Searching the internet has put me onto Radwell and they offer replacements as well as repairing existing boards. https://www.radwell.com/en-US/Buy/VEHICLE IMPROVEMENT PRODUCTS/VEHICLE IMPROVEMENT PRODUCTS/SM209 Anyone have knowledge of their service?

No direct experience but a Google search of reviews showed mixed results at best.  2.5 out of 5 with 33 reviews.

FWIW I replaced my problematic SM 209 with a brand new one from VIP, the replacement is the SM210, maybe you already know this, at any rate the SM210 is more robust, I also purchased and replaced a new end to wiring harness that plugs into the controller. All working well now and no heated wiring harness any longer. 

Edited by Jdw12345

On 2/22/2024 at 4:14 PM, Jdw12345 said:

FWIW I replaced my problematic SM 209 with a brand new one from VIP, the replacement is the SM210, maybe you already know this, at any rate the SM210 is more robust, I also purchased and replaced a new end to wiring harness that plugs into the controller. All working well now and no heated wiring harness any longer. 

I decided not to have the 2 SM209 modules repaired but instead I purchased a new SM210 module and a J12 plug in harness from Northwest RV supply. The cost for the SM210 was not much more then the repair to a single SM209 module. I'll install the new module and replace my burnt J12 plug keeping my goof SM209 as a back up spare. The two SM209's that need repaired will be kept but anyone that needs a core can have them for free. Thank you for everyone's input and it helped me make the decision to purchase a new module.

1 hour ago, Joint Venture said:

I decided not to have the 2 SM209 modules repaired but instead I purchased a new SM210 module and a J12 plug in harness from Northwest RV supply. The cost for the SM210 was not much more then the repair to a single SM209 module. I'll install the new module and replace my burnt J12 plug keeping my goof SM209 as a back up spare. The two SM209's that need repaired will be kept but anyone that needs a core can have them for free. Thank you for everyone's input and it helped me make the decision to purchase a new module.

Personally I think it’s the only way to go, I’m not convinced that fixing a known problem and not fixing the cause has any value. It’s like putting air in a tire that has a hole in it and not plugging the whole. Jmo. 

4 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

Personally I think it’s the only way to go, I’m not convinced that fixing a known problem and not fixing the cause has any value. It’s like putting air in a tire that has a hole in it and not plugging the whole. Jmo. 

I tend to agree completely with you, the present SM209 module is one I purchased originally to replace the bad SM209 that had been installed when I purchased the coach. After purchasing the coach I bought a second SM209 from Visone RV as a spare. It still works fine although the J12 plug is burned pretty bad and sometimes my headlight wiring for the new relays I installed don't always work immediately. I swapped the module for my "spare" and it wasn't much better. The J12 plug is just too burned up to give me a good contact 100% of the time. After I get my new SM210 I will gladly give someone a good deal one of the SM209 modules I have. 

Will you have to do anything special to use the SM210.

Last year I was looking for something on Ebay and actually found a SM210 New Old Stock for $115.  I did a quick check to see if I could use it and from what i found it would work so I bought it to carry as a spare.  Seemed like too good of deal to pass up.  It was delivered in the original unopened packaging. 

I have been told the SM210 is a direct replacement for the SM209 modules by many sources. Since I have a perfectly good SM209 in use now and another SM209 that works but has a badly burned J12 socket I see no reason not to try a SM210 as it is considered an improved version of the SM209.

Edited by Joint Venture

Plug n play on my 05 Monaco Dynasty, other than the new pigtail. 
I even had the relays on my bench for the fix. I called IMMI and ordered direct, like $380.00 plus shipping.  I asked myself, really, $400.00, it was a no brainer for me. JMO. 
 I think I waited for a couple of weeks for delivery. NW RV has them in stock right now I believe. 

Edited by Jdw12345