Electrical harness on coach for trailering system issue

Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

Looking for some help with an electrical issue. My new to me 07 safari Simba tail lights do not work on my toad, all lights on coach work as they should . Turn signals and brakes work. I tested the connection on the coach flat 4 plug, the tail light is the issue. I looked in the chassis fuse panel , but nothing is labeled for the wiring harness that I can tell. The wiring harness on the coach at the trailer hitch is factory installed. Also, I cleaned all the connections on the flat 4 but didn't use dielectric grease. Any ideas or pointers on what fuses to check or what to try next would be appreciated. TIA

Check to see if you have a converter (if needed) to convert from euro style (coach) to combined (toad). If so, check it's function. I had one that failed. Next, my coach has a terminal block in the rear elect bay that takes one taillight wire and splits it. One to the coach, and one to the trailer plug, via the converter. The same thing for brake, and turn. When I bought my coach, it had a right hand brake and turn signal prob on the coach. Turned out it was missing the second wire from the split to the plug and they just tied into the the brake light wire in the plug. Removed that mess and added the second wire, problem solved. Hope this helps.

What a coincidence, Today I just completed wiring for my toad also, and the blinkers worked, the brake light worked, but nothing when I just turned the headlight switch on to see just running lights. I tried turning on the motor in the RV then turned on the headlights and all was working. Did you try with motor running?

Interesting. I am having a similar issue with my 2005 Safari Cheetah. Our coach has three on each side -  a clear back up, yellow turn signal and red for running and brake. I use to tow with a dolly and magnetic light set plugged into the 4-pin connector. We had no issues. I replaced the dolly last fall with a new Equinox that could be towed 4 down. The lights connect with a 7-6 pin umbilical. Unfortunately the light on the coach and the car will not work when connected. I have tested out the umbilical (all good) and the car (all good) so not I am working on the coach. The passenger side light sockets all appear to have proper voltage and I last year re-did the ground for all three because I had a separate issue. The only way to access the left side tail lights is to remove them from the outside by removing the screws and then pulling out each fixture. When I removed the brake/running light it appeared to be good but on close inspection I found one wire loose in its crimp, so loose I could easily pull it out and the contact were scorched and the ground damaged. Tomorrow I will be replacing the socket and checking the ground on that side.

With these rolling beasts it seems the potential for things to come loose never ends. If this solves my problem I will post again here with an update.

18 hours ago, martinsimba said:

Looking for some help with an electrical issue. My new to me 07 safari Simba tail lights do not work on my toad, all lights on coach work as they should . Turn signals and brakes work. I tested the connection on the coach flat 4 plug, the tail light is the issue. I looked in the chassis fuse panel , but nothing is labeled for the wiring harness that I can tell. The wiring harness on the coach at the trailer hitch is factory installed. Also, I cleaned all the connections on the flat 4 but didn't use dielectric grease. Any ideas or pointers on what fuses to check or what to try next would be appreciated. TIA

Someone posted that their Safari has a “5” wire system. Ordinarily Monaco ha a “4” wire system.  Therefore we need to know how your MH is configured.

A 4 wire system, like the flat plug should be as follows..  This is the order.

Ground >>> Running/Park (Brown?) >>> Left Turn (Yellow) >>>Right Turn (Green) 

IF … Does your Motor Home have a 5 wire system?  The way to tell. Do you have a combination Turn & Stop light bulb? Same filament or bulb lights up when Turn signal is on as well as brake or Stop Light? If the Turn signals are one bulb and the Stop/Brake is different, then you have a 5 wire system.

IF …You have a 5 wire system and a 4 wire flat plug, there is a 5 to 4 converter in the system and if you don’t have the proper signals from the plug;  Locate and start there. 

Also pull your manual. Usually there is an explanation as well as pin out and wiring diagram. Find that. We don’t have your manuals online.  Use the SEARCH box at the top right.  Put in safari. Then click on Everywhere.  Choose FILES. There is a set of 2003 schematics and another conglomeration of various years files.  Some are newer, but one was for “turn signals”

• 1 month later...

I found my problem however I still need advice. Previous owner installed flat 4 to the existing harness OEM and the running lights were not attached. Please see photos. I have 2 questions and welcome any other info you can provide.

1: Is it possible to get a new 7 pin harness that would fit just like the one does in the photo?

2. Are any of the seven wires hot all of the time when the ignition is running? I am asking because I'm looking for a hot 12 vt to run the toad to operate my breaking system compressor with out using 12 vt from the car.

TIA, 

Doug

IMG_5884.jpeg

IMG_5885.jpeg

IMG_5886.jpeg

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Get a volt meter and check to see if any of the wires are hot with key on.

You do have 7 wires so one may be carrying power. 

On my coach the Red (stop), Yellow (Left turn/stop), Gray (Backup), Green (right turn/stop), Brown (marker lights), White (Ground).    I only have 6 wires on the rectangular shaped plug.  I do not have a Black wire.

I had to install a umbilical cable from coach to front of Jeep, six wire to 7 wire,  I did not install a power supply to jeep. 

Edited by jacwjames