Hydraulic system very very slow

Go to solution Solved by RWHenhouse,

10 hours ago, John C said:

It is very fast now after I add about 1 1/2 gallon of oil.

Just to make sure you are aware, the hydraulic fluid level should be checked with all the slides in. The pump pumps it out of the reservoir into the slide cylinders, and when you retract the slides it pumps it back into the reservoir. If you fill the reservoir when the slides are out, when you pull them in it will overflow.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dennis N - 2005 Windsor said:

Just to make sure you are aware, the hydraulic fluid level should be checked with all the slides in. The pump pumps it out of the reservoir into the slide cylinders, and when you retract the slides it pumps it back into the reservoir. If you fill the reservoir when the slides are out, when you pull them in it will overflow.

Yup,

There is hydraulic oil on both sides of the hydrualic cylinder piston.  The big difference is the volume of the stem.  So when you check the fluid with the slides in there will be less volume then with the slides out.  

Same holds through with hydraulic jacks, that why they recommend checking with jacks up with the front extended just a little. 

9 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Yup,

There is hydraulic oil on both sides of the hydrualic cylinder piston.  The big difference is the volume of the stem.  So when you check the fluid with the slides in there will be less volume then with the slides out.  

Same holds through with hydraulic jacks, that why they recommend checking with jacks up with the front extended just a little. 

I guess I put too much oil inside, now it was leaking from the cap.

After quite a few back and forth on the slide, no more leak, I guess all the excessive oil have been pushed out.

Will keep an eye on it..

12 hours ago, Dennis N - 2005 Windsor said:

Yes, you want to check the oil level when all the slide hydraulic cylinders are retracted.  That means, the flat floor wall slide and the generator slide need to be retracted.  But, HWH is correct - the X-Slide mechanisms MUST be extended in order to have the slide hydraulic cylinders retracted.  So on my coach, according to HWH, two PS slides need to be extended and two slides (flat floor and generator) retracted.

In reality the volume of oil in the larger diameter equalization cylinder pushing the piston shaft to retract the slide cylinders is likely pretty close to the volume in the slide cylinders used to extend them. 

The hydraulic fluid on the slide cylinder shaft side is the same hydraulic fluid on equalization cylinder shaft side and it doesn't go to the tank.

So, it looks like Monaco made it simple by saying to have all slides retracted but the oil level can be no higher than 1/2" to the top of the tank.   I never had an oil overflow problem.

Yes, if you have hydraulic leveling jacks, you check oil level when they are retracted.

HWH Operators Manual ml31726.pdf

23 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

Yes, you want to check the oil level when all the slide hydraulic cylinders are retracted.  That means, the flat floor wall slide and the generator slide need to be retracted.  But, HWH is correct - the X-Slide mechanisms MUST be extended in order to have the slide hydraulic cylinders retracted.  So on my coach, according to HWH, two PS slides need to be extended and two slides (flat floor and generator) retracted.

In reality the volume of oil in the larger diameter equalization cylinder pushing the piston shaft to retract the slide cylinders is likely pretty close to the volume in the slide cylinders used to extend them. 

The hydraulic fluid on the slide cylinder shaft side is the same hydraulic fluid on equalization cylinder shaft side and it doesn't go to the tank.

So, it looks like Monaco made it simple by saying to have all slides retracted but the oil level can be no higher than 1/2" to the top of the tank.   I never had an oil overflow problem.

Yes, if you have hydraulic leveling jacks, you check oil level when they are retracted.

HWH Operators Manual ml31726.pdf 472.04 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, Frank,

I don't have level jack.

It is still leaking oil from the cap, I guess I must have put too much oil as I could not decide what is the max oil line when I added oil, I added pretty much all the way to the top.

Could you please tell me what is the Max Oil level line, is it the one in middle as I marked in red(see attached)?

Thanks.

20240310_110729.jpg

31 minutes ago, John C said:

Hi, Frank,

I don't have level jack.

It is still leaking oil from the cap, I guess I must have put too much oil as I could not decide what is the max oil line when I added oil, I added pretty much all the way to the top.

Could you please tell me what is the Max Oil level line, is it the one in middle as I marked in red(see attached)?

Thanks.

20240310_110729.jpg

I use the ring you circled as the max oil level line with the cap screwed all the way into the top of the tank.  If you have oil between that ring and the bottom end of the cap you should be just fine.  But no higher than that ring you circled.

However, losing that much oil means you have a leak.  HWH did have issues with the hydraulic hoses and the tank itself cracking.  You need to check all the hydraulic hoses going to the cylinders on the 4 slides and the 3 equalization cylinders on the room slide cylinders as well as the hoses to the manifold to find the leak.

26 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

I use the ring you circled as the max oil level line with the cap screwed all the way into the top of the tank.  If you have oil between that ring and the bottom end of the cap you should be just fine.  But no higher than that ring you circled.

However, losing that much oil means you have a leak.  HWH did have issues with the hydraulic hoses and the tank itself cracking.  You need to check all the hydraulic hoses going to the cylinders on the 4 slides and the 3 equalization cylinders on the room slide cylinders as well as the hoses to the manifold to find the leak.

That is why, I added the oil all the way to the top!

Right now the leak I saw always coming from the cap because of the excessive oil I added.

Looks like one of to solilnoid has been replaced before, my guess is probably that old solilnoid was leaking.

I will keep monitoring the area, hopefully no more leaks once all the excessive oil out of the reservoir.

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, John C said:

That is why, I added the oil all the way to the top!

Right now the leak I saw always coming from the cap because of the excessive oil I added.

Looks like one of to solilnoid has been replaced before, my guess is probably that old solilnoid was leaking.

I will keep monitoring the area, hopefully no more leaks once all the excessive oil out of the reservoir.

Thanks.

It's very unlikely that a replacement solenoid caused fluid to be that low.

I'd check each of the 7 hydraulic cylinder hose ends and each of the 3 equalization cylinder hose ends connections for leaks.  If you find no leaks - great.  If you do then you can repair the problem hose. 

You absolutely either have a leak or a previous owner did a repair of a hose or cylinder and the repair shop didn't do the repair correctly to be sure the fluid tank was filled.

When you first got the coach, did you or your service dealer do a fluid level check as part of your maintenance procedure to know that the system was at the proper full level as described in your owners manual? 

21 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

It's very unlikely that a replacement solenoid caused fluid to be that low.

I'd check each of the 7 hydraulic cylinder hose ends and each of the 3 equalization cylinder hose ends connections for leaks.  If you find no leaks - great.  If you do then you can repair the problem hose. 

You absolutely either have a leak or a previous owner did a repair of a hose or cylinder and the repair shop didn't do the repair correctly to be sure the fluid tank was filled.

When you first got the coach, did you or your service dealer do a fluid level check as part of your maintenance procedure to know that the system was at the proper full level as described in your owners manual? 

This is a bank repo and the dealer didn't go over anything with me.

I did have two inspections - one on chassis - semitruck expert and another one on house side. I also did all fluids test.

There quite many issues with this coach.

Engine, transmission, radiator and Chassis side is pretty good.

inside and outside are very decent.

Most on house side which i believe i can handle with the help from Monaco community such as your guys here.

I did get a decent discount because of that. If your believe JD Power, my purchase is 45k below the average retail price.

No sure what is the history of this coach, I added oil twice, the first time I added 3/4 gallon and I don't see any leak.

Yesterday I added another 3/4 gallon, fill the oil all the way to top. After that I started to see oil leaks(from the excessive oil I added) all of those were coming from the cap, so far I haven't noticed leak from anywhere else.

Maybe the previous or previous previous owner already fix the leaks.

I will definitely going to keep monitoring this reservoir from now on.

Thanks

9 hours ago, John C said:

This is a bank repo and the dealer didn't go over anything with me.

I did have two inspections - one on chassis - semitruck expert and another one on house side. I also did all fluids test.

There quite many issues with this coach.

Engine, transmission, radiator and Chassis side is pretty good.

inside and outside are very decent.

Most on house side which i believe i can handle with the help from Monaco community such as your guys here.

I did get a decent discount because of that. If your believe JD Power, my purchase is 45k below the average retail price.

No sure what is the history of this coach, I added oil twice, the first time I added 3/4 gallon and I don't see any leak.

Yesterday I added another 3/4 gallon, fill the oil all the way to top. After that I started to see oil leaks(from the excessive oil I added) all of those were coming from the cap, so far I haven't noticed leak from anywhere else.

Maybe the previous or previous previous owner already fix the leaks.

I will definitely going to keep monitoring this reservoir from now on.

Thanks

Thank you for the background information.  The good news is that 2007 model year coaches were some of the best coaches made by Monaco.

If you don't already have it, attached is a copy of the owners manual and brochure for your coach.  It has a huge amount of important information and well worth your time reading it. 

On this site in the downloads files you will also find a set of wiring diagrams, technical tips, and the parts list.

Welcome to the forum.

2007_Dynasty.pdf 1476904560_brc_pdf.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1