Omega or Omega II

Anyone know how to tell the difference between the Carefree Omega and Omega II awning? I have looked in the owners box of stuff and it only has instructions on the use of the cover. I have looked online but have found nothing stating as to the differences between the two models. I need to replace the awning fabric as it has torn at the alumniguard cover before i took ownership of the motorhome. While we were measuring for new one i noticed the tension springs don't look too awfully healthy, rust etc. That is the only difference i can find between the two models...as one spring rotates clockwise and the other model counterclockwise.

Thanks in advance!

Iam thinking the Omega has the aluminagaurd and the Omega II has the end case cover?

You could call Chris at Talin mfg as they are (or were) a Carefree reseller. Unfortunately I am as much in the dark as you so a referral is all I have. 

• Like 1

If you open the awning fully. There should be a tag on the roller tube. It will have the serial number on it. Then you can call Carefree and get all the information you need. From what I have been told is that the difference is the spring. Omega II has a left side spring and the Omega has a right hand. standing in front of and looking at the awning.

Edited by Russ R
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Russ R said:

If you open the awning fully. There should be a tag on the roller tube. It will have the serial number on it. Then you can call Carefree and get all the information you need.

I will look...we did kind of look when measuring but i don't recall seeing one, but i wasn't looking for one so i will do that. Thanks.

This is what the Omega II looks like. It has question-mark shaped arms that extend the topper to become a window awning. I "think" the Omega is just a topper, and doesn't have the awning part. I have one of each on my coach.

Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 10.01.25 PM.jpg

Edited by joefromperry
added info

5 hours ago, joefromperry said:

This is what the Omega II looks like. It has question-mark shaped arms that extend the topper to become a window awning. I "think" the Omega is just a topper, and doesn't have the awning part. I have one of each on my coach.

Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 10.01.25 PM.jpg

That's what the Omega I looks like as well. I believe the difference is the II has the cover at the end versus the aluminaguard at the coach end.

Posted (edited)

So finally got through to the Carefree people...half of their website doesn't work and the other half was a total waste of time...the difference between the two versions of Omega from what i gathered from the lady is the Omega has a spring on the right side, has a valance and the Omega II has the spring on the left side with no valance and the fabric cover on the tube end, where as the Omega has the alumnaguard attached to the coach and covers the fabric when it is retracted. There is a spot on the front arm where a label is, but it is blank now. When i took the tube off, the spring came out in 2 pieces. The tube end of it that sticks into the arm has a printed number on it which meant nothing to Carefree, looks like a part number to me, but isn't. So another $140 bucks, wait time just to see what other parts i will need. hahahhahaha such is the story of my life, hurry up and wait. The Air Force trained me well in hurry up and wait...

Edited by dereeves

Basically, they are correct. The main differences are Omega I has the Alligator Aluminum Guard attached to the side of the coach that the fabric and roller tube rolls up into. The Omega II has the fabric guard and roller tube attached to the top of the slide. As the slide moves out the fabric unrolls from the guard. They both have the ? question style arms that create a window awning when needed in addition to the slide topper cover.

In Regards to springs, either a right or left spring will work in the Omega I or the Omega II. However, the Omega I came from the factory with a right side spring and the Omega II came from the factory with a left side spring.

My spring was replaced in my Omega I by a service technician who brought the wrong spring by mistake. He removed the right side broken spring and installed the left side new spring in the Left Side. It's been like that ever since and still works to this day for the new owner of my Windsor.

22 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Basically, they are correct. The main differences are Omega I has the Alligator Aluminum Guard attached to the side of the coach that the fabric and roller tube rolls up into. The Omega II has the fabric guard and roller tube attached to the top of the slide. As the slide moves out the fabric unrolls from the guard. They both have the ? question style arms that create a window awning when needed in addition to the slide topper cover.

In Regards to springs, either a right or left spring will work in the Omega I or the Omega II. However, the Omega I came from the factory with a right side spring and the Omega II came from the factory with a left side spring.

My spring was replaced in my Omega I by a service technician who brought the wrong spring by mistake. He removed the right side broken spring and installed the left side new spring in the Left Side. It's been like that ever since and still works to this day for the new owner of my Windsor.

Yeah i couldn't remember which side the spring tube came out of so when i was on the phone with the lady at Carefree, i could see either side has a point to do the windings for the tension, just like you said. Could go either side as long as you get the right direction of coiling on the spring.