Can I run a dehumidifier on 15 amp outlet or simply use Damprid?

My new to me 07 Safari Simba has always been temperature controlled. Unfortunately, it will no longer be kept indoors. Therefore, I would like to know:

1. If I can just use Damprid in the Pennsylvania summer humidity to control the moisture?

2. If I run a dehumidifier, can I use an extension cord to run 140 feet from a 15 amp outlet in my home ?

3. What gauge does the cord have to be to run  140  feet?

Appreciate your input! Thank you in advance.

That’s an extremely long run and longer than any run in a typical house. If you look on the tag for the amps you can get online and look for a voltage drop chart like this. IMO the cost of the wire would be expensive and one dehumidifier may not be enough and then you have the electric bill for that running a lot. A few Damp Rids should do the job. 

image.jpg

40 minutes ago, martinsimba said:

My new to me 07 Safari Simba has always been temperature controlled. Unfortunately, it will no longer be kept indoors. Therefore, I would like to know:

1. If I can just use Damprid in the Pennsylvania summer humidity to control the moisture?

2. If I run a dehumidifier, can I use an extension cord to run 140 feet from a 15 amp outlet in my home ?

3. What gauge does the cord have to be to run  140  feet?

Appreciate your input! Thank you in advance.

simple.  You need a THREE (3) conductor #1 AWG cable.  You can buy it locally at some Big Boxes.  It is called "SERVICE ENTRANCE CABLE"  Rated for the run and also weather resistant.  Here is a typical way to order online.

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/1-1-1-3-copper-ser-service-entrance-cable?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0MexBhD3ARIsAEI3WHKJlddfSQn3vF08WuIeqqaN4Yn8D3iafJxqp5zAMdNhWzggeb4uqkUaAhHLEALw_wcB

Cost without shipping and taxes...  $1,760.  IN STOCK...

PERSONALLY...  I would try the chemical...  A GUN NUT buddy of mine...also a crackerjack Engineer that "studies things" uses it to protect his arsenal.  NOW, having been down this road before to try to keep a few basements dry...  YOU NEED AIR CIRCULATION to keep use the DampRid in an area that large. YES, it will work for a Gun Safe... but how many cubic feet is in your MH...a rhetorical question.

YOU COULD run a 20" floor fan off the inverter.  I have had this one in my attic for at least 3 years.  IT WORKS...it is a HIGH CFM and it will move some air...

https://www.amazon.com/Air-King-9500-Commercial-22-Horsepower/dp/B0007Q3RT8?pd_rd_w=7Sz6D&content-id=amzn1.sym.62bf6161-8bd0-4857-85d6-e30435da42bd&pf_rd_p=62bf6161-8bd0-4857-85d6-e30435da42bd&pf_rd_r=6H9MMT4NRMKZZ9QKX3P3&pd_rd_wg=PFjjF&pd_rd_r=b3369592-6f36-4213-91c0-9062b4240156&pd_rd_i=B0007Q3RT8&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_1_ec_ppx_yo_dt_b_search_bia_t

I would purchase a "PLUG IN" Humidity Control and run it at say 50%....  Theoretically, this is a 60 watt fan...or 5 AMPS of DC power (60 divided by 12 V) so....24 hours times 5 amps equals 120 Amp Hours.  you have a 450 Amp Hour house bank. TWO (2) days would consume 240 Amp Hours or about 50% of your bank.  Throw in a little "fudge factor".  I think you would need to run your Generator about 1.5 to 2.0 Hours per day.  At 50% load....that is about 1.5 Gallons of fuel (0.75 GPH times 2 hours).  SO, that is about $6 per day.  IF you have solar...less.

Therefore...  Moving the air...  $180 per month.  DampRid???  UNKOWN.  BUT, just moving the air will provide some form of moisture removal.

Not what you might want to know...but, if you can put containers of DampRid that will collect (need a HIGH SURFACE AREA....think 18" diameter tubs...and empty them....they turn into WATER.  

Is all this necessary.  I DO NOT KNOW?  BUT, you COULD purchase a battery powered Humidity Meter...they are cheap.  Most come with multiple sensors.  SO, 2 or 3.  THEN measure the humidity...  Don't KNOW WHERE you are...and what it is normally.

I think this answers some of your questions....but how to estimate....  Depends on how much moisture is in the air....and how much you intend to control.

I MIGHT, seriously, consider the big fan.  BUT, put it on a 24 hour timer.  Run it for say an hour....every 4 hours.  That would be 6 hours per day... compared to 24...or 25%.  Your Genny fuel would be around $45 per month.  WOULD that work.  Don't know....but it might.  I do that for my Crawl space and it works...as well as my attic.

Good Luck...

I'll give you my short answer...... YES!

Most of the year, I run a 50qt household dehumidifier in my coach. When the compressor kicks in, it draws about 7amps.

I'd suggest checking your voltage at the outlet before you do anything.  This could help and/or hurt your cause.

I have a Progressive surge protector.  While I was building my house and plugged into the temp pole and saw low voltage fault, thought it might be an anomaly.  After got the house wiring done and hooked up permanently I noticed the same thing so started checking voltage and sure enough, it was low dropping to ~110 volts and sometimes less.  Not good.  Sent an email to the utility company and about 2 weeks later got a call from one of their engineers, he said they checked into it and sure enough, the taps at the transformer weren't adjusted correctly so they were supplying low voltage to the whole neighborhood.  He thanked me for reporting it.  Now our voltage is +120V-123V.  So it does make a difference. 

I'd try it with the thickest cords you have, I bet it works fine.  You might consider trenching in a 12/2 or 12/3 UF to a pedestal to keep the rig plugged in if this is going to be a permanent parking place. 

I'm not a fan of damprid for the quantity of moisture you want to remove.  Plus you have the air movement and heating you get from the dehumidifier.  And the risk of spilling salt brine with damprid (calcium chloride). 

• Like 1

I assume around 10 amps or less for the dehumidifier. Run no smaller than a #12. A #10 would be better but those are expensive cords. Loss is less than 5%.

• Like 1