Thoughts on a 2013 Ford F 150 Platinum Ecoboost

jacwjames

I've been looking for a different toad.  I found a 2013 Ford F 150 Platinum Ecoboost all ready set up for towing, looks like it is in really clean condition.  New tires and brakes,  86K miles on it. 

Anyone have any thoughts on this, especially the Ecoboost engine.  I heard there are problems with specific year, trying to figure out if this one would be reliable.  

I've towed both a 2012 and now a 2019 both with the Eco boost engine BUT they HAVE to be 4x4's.  After 2019 or 2020 they started doing some funky things with the towing set up procedure.  Setting it up to be towed disconnects everything so no milage is recorded.

Thanks Mike

The truck is already set up for towing so I assume it can be towed which is a big advantage.  Price is in line with what I've seen especially with the towing package.  

Been doing some research, you can find both pro and con comments but overall it seems to have some positive reviews and comments. 

Asked a mechanic friend and he said overall pretty positive. 

2 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Thanks Mike

The truck is already set up for towing so I assume it can be towed which is a big advantage.  Price is in line with what I've seen especially with the towing package.  

Been doing some research, you can find both pro and con comments but overall it seems to have some positive reviews and comments. 

Asked a mechanic friend and he said overall pretty positive. 

Fuel milage is about 1mpg below what they advertise.  I average around 18.5 mpg.  There's a device and free software called ForScan you can download to change some of the hidden functions.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I tow a 2014 F-150 Platinum with the Eco Boost engine and I have not had any problems so far.  I have the roadmaster tow bar system which I had set up buy the factory techs at their plant in Vancouver WA.  My truck is the 4x4 version with supercrew cab.  The owners manual has detailed directions for setting up for 4 flat towing.

I like all the room in the back seat area for traveling with our German Shepards.

Good luck!

Edited by StephenW
Add content

9 hours ago, StephenW said:

I like all the room in the back seat area for traveling with our German Shepards.

Good luck!

Ya, my wife's Anatolian Shepard would like the room😅

So you haven't had any major mechanical problems, how many miles on the truck?

Thanks

16 hours ago, Mike H said:

I've towed both a 2012 and now a 2019 both with the Eco boost engine BUT they HAVE to be 4x4's.  After 2019 or 2020 they started doing some funky things with the towing set up procedure.  Setting it up to be towed disconnects everything so no milage is recorded.

My 2017 doesn’t record mileage when towed. 

The truck has 69,000 miles on the odometer with maybe 3,000 miles being towed.  No major mechanical issues, just routine maintenance.  

IMG_0173.thumb.jpeg.ab31eaf826f8827fc9bfa07d9fffeee7.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StephenW said:

The truck has 69,000 miles on the odometer with maybe 3,000 miles being towed.  No major mechanical issues, just routine maintenance.  

IMG_0173.thumb.jpeg.ab31eaf826f8827fc9bfa07d9fffeee7.jpeg

The coach and truck looked so pretty you had to post twice👍

Thanks Jim J, I’m not sure what I did to make the post duplicate. I thought I only hit the submit button once but my fat fingers might have missed the mark?  

30 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

@Mike H, @StephenW - did you disable the steering wheel lock on your Fords?  If so, how did you accomplish that?

- bob

On my 2019 the procedure is as follows:

1. Press the START button without starting the engine
  2. Shift to NEUTRAL
  3. Press and HOLD the brake pedal then rotate the 4x4 control knob five times from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive
  4. Message shows up on the dash display saying "Vehicle is now ready for towing"
  5. Press the START button again without starting the engine
  6. Be prepared to select which security alarm mode you desire

You should really check you owner's manual, especially for the newer models, because Ford changed that procedure on the new trucks.

Here are the instructions from the manual for a 2013 model year.

1. Turn the ignition to the on position. Do not start the engine.
2. Press and hold the brake pedal.
3. Shift the 4WD switch to 2H.
4. Shift the transmission to position N.
5. Rotate the 4WD switch from 2H to 4L and back to 2H five times
within seven seconds.
• If completed successfully, the information display shows
NEUTRAL TOW LEAVE IN N or NEUTRAL TOW ENABLED
LEAVE TRANSMISSION IN NEUTRAL. This indicates that
your vehicle is safe to tow with all wheels on the ground.
• If you do not see the message in the display, you must perform
the procedure again from the beginning.
• You may hear an audible noise as the transfer case shifts into its
neutral position. This is normal.
6. Leave the transmission in position N and turn the ignition as far as it
will go toward the off position (it will not turn fully off when the
transmission is in position N. You must leave the key in the ignition
while towing. To lock and unlock your vehicle,
use the keyless entry
keypad or extra set of keys.
7. Release the brake pedal

So key stays in ignition with it turned all the way off. 

3 hours ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

That's not an explicit part of the tow setup, but one of the steps probably accomplishes that task.

When the transmission gets shifted into neutral the steering wheel is unlocked.

8 hours ago, Mike H said:

When the transmission gets shifted into neutral the steering wheel is unlocked.

I was asking for our 21 4-Runner.  It's a manual 4WD that I can disconnect the wheels from the transmission through the transfer case but the steering remains locked.  I'd be willing to disable the steering lock . . . if I could find it. 

- bob

7 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I was asking for our 21 4-Runner.  It's a manual 4WD that I can disconnect the wheels from the transmission through the transfer case but the steering remains locked.  I'd be willing to disable the steering lock . . . if I could find it. 

- bob

Bob,

Your post about pulling a Toyota intrigued me so I spent some time searching.  From what I found Toyota does not recommend pulling any of their vehicles but plenty of post though of people pulling them as long as they are 4WD and have the transfer case that can be put in neutral.

As to the ability to remove the key on newer Toyota's, I did not find one post that explained how to do it.   One poster went through several attempts but none panned out.   The steering wheel lock is in the column and an electric solenoid with pin that locks the steering wheel. The software has a timed function that will lock the steering wheel after a period of time as an antitheft device.  I did some searches to see if it could be defeated in the PCM but didn't find any.  

Let me know if you find out if it can be done. 

The Ford I am interested in may not happen, another buyer is looking at it this weekend.  Wait and see I guess but after looking at the overall positive reviews and ease of pulling the F150 has moved up on my list of potential toads. 

• Thanks 1