Curbside Rear Air Bags Losing Air

Posted (edited)

Then the rear passenger side slowly loses air after being parked. Its not noticeable the first day, but by day three the lean is fully evident. The air bleeds out of the main system after about 48 hours (dash gauge reads zero), but the front and rear road side air bags maintain pressure. I assume those legs are air tight from the valve to the air bags and those dump valves aren't leaking. 

I've just lived with it as it such a slow leak, but yesterday I decided to tackle it and got nowhere. I sprayed the ride height valve and the fittings on the air bag and that didn't produce any bubbles. Neither did spraying the dump valve for that leg of the system. I've replaced a lot of pressure protection valves over the years and they bubble up like crazy when there's a leak so I don't think I have an external leak at the valve, air bag or dump valve. I wonder if its possible the leak is actually in the valve itself and I'm losing air back into the empty supply system?  I suppose I could have a leak in an air line, but finding that would be impossible given they are all wrapped in plastic conduit, I'd have to replace all the lines and that'd be a chore I'd rather not tackle on the off chance that's the issue.

Edited by dennis.mcdonaugh

If your air leveling is made by HWH, your 6-Pack Valves each have 3 different size o-rings on them. 2 on the outside and one hidden inside requiring the disassembling of the valve to replace that small o-ring. It could be one or more of those small internal o-rings that is leaking.

WOW I just went thru this problem and getting to old to keep doing this but I did after spending Thousands of dollars and no fix...what I have found out are

1 if you pump up the coach level it out then push the stop button and wait 3 to 5 days then you have the leak on one of the rear air lines or bags or leaking Manifold lines...

2. if you leave it in auto mode your aux air pump may not be able to pump enough air to keep up with the leak...

If you have a tag axle which I have it's very different to check the forward air bag line on the passenger side what I did was pump the system up and squirted soap to look for the leak lots of soap then got my phone camera put a light up in there and took pictures of it and that's where the leak was...This all started after I had all 10 air bags replaced...Took it back to the shop several times and was never fixed... This air bag is tough to get to... I cut out a port hole thru the wall just forward of that air bag.  This is what fixed my problem been holding air for the past 3 weeks...

Michael Powellyou may email me at mpowell@powellwatson.com

I will share my phone number by email to talk if needed.

I just returned from a trip to Myrtle Beach and Darlington and every time I stopped and turned off the engine the coach leaned to the passenger side.  It had done this occasionally before, but this trip it did it any time the engine was turned off.  With the engine running it stayed level and drove fine.  So, I'm thinking I'll check the HWH 6 pack valves like Richard suggested.  Does that seem like a good place to start on diagnosing?  Thanks.

It should go without saying that if you're under the coach, and especially if you're dinking with air lines, you should have the coach on ramps or safety jacks under it.  If a fitting were to break it would mean a sudden loss of air bag. 

Even using the leveling jacks is playing squish roulette. 

- bob

I know, but thanks for the reminder. I have jack stands, but they are too short to reach the frame when the coach is up on the 2X ramps I use to get a little extra height. I made wooden blocks out of stacked 2X12s, cut to 1' long, that are just shorter than the retracted hydraulic jack pads. I often dump the air bags so the coach is sitting on these blocks.   There's plenty of room to work under the without worrying about it falling on me.

You say you have the hydraulic system. Check the corresponding solenoid on the pump pack to make sure it is completely closed. You may want to slightly open the solenoid and then re-close it.

Okay, there seems to be some confusion about my question. My coach has an air suspension. It’s only used when going down the road. When parked, I dump the air and use the hydraulic jacks to level the coach. There is nothing wrong with the hydraulic system.

The ride height system on this coach is much simpler than those that use air to level the coach when parked. It consists of three legs, one in front which controls the front ride height, and two in back controlling the left and right side ride height. Each is controlled by a Hadley ride height valve.

Those legs should be air tight from the valve through the air bags to the dump valve. The front and road side are, but the curb side leaks. There are not a lot of parts in the system, ride height valve, a few fittings, two air bags and dump solenoid and valve  

It’s not the valve or valve fittings, dump valve, air bag fittings or the Tee that splits the air line to both bags. One air bag is about 6 years old, the other is original.

Its been raining a lot here so I haven’t had much time to explore further  I have another new air bag, I may just replace the second one on that side if I can’t find a leak  

39 minutes ago, Kenster said:

Call me stupid. Are you saying the three cylinders that go down and touch the ground are air operated?

No. Those are hydraulic.

10 minutes ago, Kenster said:

What legs should be airtight are you referring to?

The three legs of the air suspension from the ride height valve through the air bags to the air dump valve solenoid. One in the front, one for the left and one for the right rear. 

Sorry everyone.  I sort of hijacked the thread as I thought the original poster had a solution.  I think I've caused confusion by asking a question about my coach that is having a similar lean to one side but does have air leveling as well.

Posted (edited)

I think I may have found the issue, it looks like the ride height valve on the Curb side is slowly leaking air out the exhaust vent. After not finding a leak the other day, I tried again this morning and shot a stream of soapy water into the rubber exhaust hose. After a minute or two, bubbles started coming out the end of the hose. Its a small leak ,but that would explain why it takes three days to start leaning.

The check valve seems to be working as the same line that supplies air to the road side air bags also supplies air to the curb side air bags too.  Without the check valve, a leak in one side would also deflate the other. I have an extra valve in my parts stash, but its at least 8 years old and been sitting in the basement of the motor home for those 8 years. I hope its still good. 

This is how I'm supporting the MH while working on the air system. This is with the air dumped. When its at ride height, the bottom of the jack is about an inch higher than the wood block. I have plenty of room to work under the coach and don't have to worry about it falling on me.

IMG_4758.JPG

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kenster said:

Get the part number and order it online, not from an RV dealer. You're more concerned with the number of ports and dimensions of the arm.

None of them come with the arm that's used on my coach. The arm on the ones I've ordered are shorter and have a kink in them. The arms on the valves on my coach are straight and longer.  Luckily the arms are easily replaceable so I just use the original arm with the new valve. This is the only one I haven't replaced on my coach. All three of them are Hadley H00450CEs. It only has three ports, input, output and exhaust. 

IMG_4789.JPG

The arm is on yours. It's that flat bar that's about 6 in Long sticking out I believe you are talking about the connection link. You use your connection link. The valve you have is a standard leveling valve. The new valve will definitely come with the horizontal flat plate arm that connects to the vertical adjustment rod.

14 minutes ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

None of them come with the arm that's used on my coach. The arm on the ones I've ordered are shorter and have a kink in them. The arms on the valves on my coach are straight and longer.  Luckily the arms are easily replaceable so I just use the original arm with the new valve. This is the only one I haven't replaced on my coach. All three of them are Hadley H004050CEs. It only has three ports, input, output and exhaust. 

IMG_4789.JPG

I misread your post. The arms may be interchangeable

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kenster said:

The arm is on yours. It's that flat bar that's about 6 in Long sticking out I believe you are talking about the connection link. You use your connection link. The valve you have is a standard leveling valve. The new valve will definitely come with the horizontal flat plate arm that connects to the vertical adjustment rod.

I misread your post. The arms may be interchangeable

They are. This is the arm you get with a new valve. 

IMG_4791.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

They are. This is the arm you get with a new valve. 

IMG_4791.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

you typed Hadley H004050CE, did you mean H00450CE.  Just did a search and found the second one for about $78.   Nevermind... just looked at the picture and saw the part number.  Its upside down, but it is a 450CE. 

Edited by Just Jim