Need Kwikee Step parts - 2003 Dynasty.

So, it looks like I will need to learn about kwikee steps now…

This part apparently lost a couple fasteners and then broke. 
Are parts available for these steps?

The motor and gear seem to be ok. But need to grab the step and help it to full extension 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Need Kwikee Step parts - 2003 Dynasty.

Did a search…kwikee & parts….try these….otherwise call Lippert. They have, and many here also, the instructions and parts list.

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=Kwikee parts&quick=1&type=forums_topic

Assume you have lubed and done the PM. A word of caution from an Ex Safety Director.  If there is hesitation and/or binding, odds are the gear in the motor is worn.  That is a dangerous condition, at least on the Coach Step.  If the gear is worn and the steps will not “LOCK” in place when extended, then they will “collapse” when weight if put on them as someone exits the MH.  My 16 YO GD was able to “catch herself”.  My 70 odd wife, with a bad knee (now replaced) might not have been so lucky.  I investigated so many simple falls during my career where there was permanent and debilitating injuries that I fixed it immediately with a new motor and solid gears….

• Like 1

Well, not finding much useful information. The specific model 903506000 was discontinued and I’m not finding any parts list references to it, except for a rather expensive gearbox and controller upgrade. 
And found a lippert motor that includes the cast aluminum cover like mine that looks like it might work, but I don’t need a motor at this point.
But I found a used gearbox that looks very similar to mine. So I think I’ll go out on a limb and get the used assy and see if it fits. 
if that doesn’t work I might need to go a more expensive route….

Either way, I might have some more information for the community parts list when I am done. 

6 minutes ago, wamcneil said:

Well, not finding much useful information. The specific model 903506000 was discontinued and I’m not finding any parts list references to it, except for a rather expensive gearbox and controller upgrade. 
And found a lippert motor that includes the cast aluminum cover like mine that looks like it might work, but I don’t need a motor at this point.
But I found a used gearbox that looks very similar to mine. So I think I’ll go out on a limb and get the used assy and see if it fits. 
if that doesn’t work I might need to go a more expensive route….

Either way, I might have some more information for the community parts list when I am done. 

great.

Just be aware that 90 plus percent of the repairs, are a new motor and the older ones, even yours, were tougher.  Get it back together and test it...but if it "bobbles" or is ratchety.....then be safety conscious...  

Keep up posted...

2 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

great.

Just be aware that 90 plus percent of the repairs, are a new motor and the older ones, even yours, were tougher.  Get it back together and test it...but if it "bobbles" or is ratchety.....then be safety conscious...  

Keep up posted...

Ok. I’ll make sure the mechanism is working right!

There are severaL models that use similar motors and gears, and similar steps that use same motor yet different gear.  Make sure you get the exact match.  BTW:  if you end up replacing the whole assembly, there’s no harm in having spare parts.  I carry a spare motor and gear assembly, as they are common failure points.

• Like 1

I have the kwikee 38 series single step, and the armature shaft is one piece with worm gear machined on shaft. Found exact replacement on amazon. Had to order whole gear box as its one piece. Kept old one and new plastic gear just in case this one strips out. But so far so good.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 4:07 PM, wamcneil said:

Ok. I’ll make sure the mechanism is working right!

Apply Boeshield T 9 Liberally to the "entire" step assembly . Great product and does not attract/retain dirt, etc like WD 40 does. Exposed linkage loves it!!!

Edited by Paul J A
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got the new (used…) motor and gearbox installed. Pretty much identical to the original unit. Finding parts for my step specifically was hard because the step was apparently discontinued long ago and it doesn’t appear in any service parts lists that I could find. 
Maybe they revised the design at some point and removed the external brace on top of the motor. As far as I can tell, the gearboxes are all pretty standard with two types of lever arms. 
There’s an old style controller (like mine) and a new style controller, but I don’t think the gearbox cares which kind of controller it’s connected to. 
In my case, I probably could have just replaced the external brace, but as far as I can tell it’s not available separately. I did find a replacement motor with the external brace (lippert/kwikee 379608) but it’s $156.
The controller uses a magnetic switch held onto the gearbox by double sided tape. That’s just a sensor for the step light, right?  My step light has either been burned out or otherwise nonfunctional since before I got the rig and I haven’t been motivated to fix it. The step is working fine with the switch installed  

2 hours ago, wamcneil said:

Ok, got the new (used…) motor and gearbox installed. Pretty much identical to the original unit. Finding parts for my step specifically was hard because the step was apparently discontinued long ago and it doesn’t appear in any service parts lists that I could find. 
Maybe they revised the design at some point and removed the external brace on top of the motor. As far as I can tell, the gearboxes are all pretty standard with two types of lever arms. 
There’s an old style controller (like mine) and a new style controller, but I don’t think the gearbox cares which kind of controller it’s connected to. 
In my case, I probably could have just replaced the external brace, but as far as I can tell it’s not available separately. I did find a replacement motor with the external brace (lippert/kwikee 379608) but it’s $156.
The controller uses a magnetic switch held onto the gearbox by double sided tape. That’s just a sensor for the step light, right?  My step light has either been burned out or otherwise nonfunctional since before I got the rig and I haven’t been motivated to fix it. The step is working fine with the switch installed  

Folks spend a LOT of time on step lights.  Mine never worked, I think, new.  Way low, perhaps never made my “Now, exactly why am I stressing over fixing something that will take an untold amount of labor but will not add any real enjoyment to my RVing Experience?” list….yes….why bother??

• Like 1