End Cap Paint Defects? Blistering or Delamination? 2004 Cheetah Safari

Hi Folks,

I noted a small amount of 'blistering' on the end cap which I presume is fiberglass.. see pic....... aside for gouging out the fibers;a$! is there a way to deal with this issue?

L

IMG_6489.jpg

YES.... Sell and take up a NEW HOBBY.  Sorry, that was such a SOFTBALL....

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=delamination&quick=1&type=forums_topic  GO HERE....Keyword was Delamination

I tried "Blister" and "Blistering" and also added "Paint" and "Fiberglass" and got only a few.

The question is...  IS THIS SURFACE...as in the Paint is BLISTERING?  IF the panel is OEM, then the Gelcoat was chemically BONDED or Cross Linked to the FIberglass.  THAT's how a Boat is made.  THEN there is a special paint that will be used to bond or cross link or chemically BOND to the Gelcoat.  

IF it is superficial, then a body shop can sand it down....and HOPE that the Gelcoat is OK...  SO, has it ever been "Repainted or repaired"?  IF so, then MAYBE the blisters are strictly superficial...as in somebody didn't know diddly squat about painting Fiberglass/Gelcoat....

BUT, if the OEM Monaco paint is now blistering....then read the Delamination posts.....and/or consider my first comment.

REALLY....Take it to a BODY shop that specialized in plastics and fiberglass (like a custom shop that works on Vettes) and get their opinion.  BUT, if it the start of Delamination.....there ain't NO FIX...Others will chime in....on that I'll make a nice wager...with ODDS...

• Tom Cherry changed the title to End Cap Paint Defects? Blistering or Delamination? 2004 Cheetah Safari
45 minutes ago, Les Hurdle said:

Hi Folks,

I noted a small amount of 'blistering' on the end cap which I presume is fiberglass.. see pic....... aside for gouging out the fibers;a$! is there a way to deal with this issue?

L

IMG_6489.jpg

Les, do you have a picture from a little further back so we can see where exactly this area is?

• Like 1

I Guys, thanks for the help. {inside joke for Tom].  Wombles do pick up rubbish !!   Even though previous owner said nowt was wrong with the coach frankly, in this area it was the best we had seen and I bought it as a fixer even if $$$.  The owner admitted to rearranging some of the baggge doors and somewhen way back the front was repaired........ But now I've spent $$ on new a/c and floor [btw, I found one must use 'sliders' to prevent scratch marks from the couch !!] plus the obvious bits, I like the couch  and will fix 'her' up.  I'll include 2 pics, sorry, lousy photographer, the patch in question is just left of the yellow light [not above that is reflection].  The other pic shows other lines appearing under the camera...........   I do have a great guy locally who will fix fiberglass issues, but I was hoping for a 'add salt' fix ;-)))

Off topic............. I want to replace a couch.  So far only Recpro has popped up on the interweb...... any other ideas?

Thanks again

Les

IMG_6496.jpg

IMG_6497.jpg

Kinda what I thought!

You have mold growing under the plastic shield Monaco installed to protect the paint on the front cap!

Most of us either have, or will have that!

No need to 'change hobbies' as suggested 🙄!

• Like 2

Great observation.  Judging by the hack job underneath the front and the goop which is applied everywhere I suspect some kind iof a bump up front......... not sure what should move and what should be solid but just had same side windshield replaced as that stressed and cracked,

L

• Like 1