Coach Air Dump will not deflate system

ncjimgr

Recently after getting to our RV lot in Crystal River, Florida I tried to use the air dump button on the dash to dump the air out of the air bags. I hear the click of the solenoid but could not hear any air and the system did not dump. On Labor Day I decided to look at the solenoid mounted on the firewall while my wife pressed the dump button. The unit was triggering but no air release. Checked the air output for bugs/blockages and it was clear. I pulled the 1/4" airline off of it (just aired the coach up) and no air come out of the line! Does anyone know if, 1) there is a second solenoid somewhere on the other end of the line and, 2) where is that line hooked in to the system to drain the air out of the air bags? I do not have a leak anywhere and the system is definitely not dumping. I want to check the other end and als follow the line to see if it is kinked.

Jim G
2006 Camelot
TST Rep

Edited by ncjimgr

Do you know the make and type of your leveling system? HWH system would have a six pack of solenoid valves mounted on the frame between wheels of each axle. 3 pairs of solenoids, one for travel height, raise and lower, all mounted on a quite large rectangular manifold, hard to miss. There are exhaust ports on the manifold that might get plugged. Just take all the many times mentioned precautions supporting the chassis so it would not accidentally drop at you if you get under it and certainly don't just pull lines out if there if any air pressure in the system and don't have someone operate the dump while under it. Someone with similar coach would know more, I do not have suspension air valves on the firewall so my comment may not be very relevant to your coach without knowing the system make/type ...

Ivan...I have hydraulic jacks for leveling (Power Gear) and the air dump is a separate system from that. It seems to have one solenoid mounted to the firewall that dumps the air in the suspension system. There is a dump switch on the dash which activates the solenoid. It has worked perfectly for the last 14 years (had to replace the solenoid once) and seems to be a very simple air dump. I can't imagine what would be blocking the air line?? Maybe someone with a 2006 Camelot (or similar) would have encountered this issue. It would be nice to know where this particular air line is coming from before I climb under the coach!

Jim G
2006 Camelot
TST Rep

My situation was not exactly the same but my coach is a 2006 Diplomat.

When I dumped air only the back was going down.  It turned out to be a bad ground on the front solenoid.  So there is more than 1 dump valve/solenoid is what I am saying.  Perhaps the issue involves the rear solenoid.

• 2 years later...

I have a sim situation 2004 Cheetah.........  as per manual pump brake until down to 60psi [some say don't do it] switch dump and nothing happens.

Previous owner said he used to jam a credit card under the switch

???

On my coach there is a separate 15 amp fuse for the air dump solenoids.  My switch is a momentary switch, when I press it the air dumps, release and it stops.  I have 3 dump solenoids, one in the front, two in the back, if none of them are dumping it might be something to do with the electrical portion of the circuit.

I have read so many answers on this site re air bags........ the scary one is air pressure shows zero and bags could still be inflated.

I'm new to airbags and understand mechanics etc but this air bag issue doesn't connect dots [easily].......... please see the picture in this post        front and back??

I can't see anything in the manual, is there a dimension anywhere eg; top of wheel arch to ground which proves the bags are deflated 2004 Cheetah?

🤢

air. IMG_5607.jpg

There should be a section showing ride height.  It will tell you what the measurements are between the frame rail and top of air bag.  This is the optimal ride height.  Pretty easy to check, the front and rear of mine are different, I cut a short piece of wood for the front and rear as a go/no go type measuring device and made the appropriate adjustment. 

23 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

There should be a section showing ride height.  It will tell you what the measurements are between the frame rail and top of air bag.  This is the optimal ride height.  Pretty easy to check, the front and rear of mine are different, I cut a short piece of wood for the front and rear as a go/no go type measuring device and made the appropriate adjustment. 

Hi Folks,

I will check the 'ride' secction, but will that give me the measurements for when the bags are down?

I have air suspension and 'manual' [hydraulic] jacks.

I'm just terrified of not being 'down' and stretching airbags when I raise up via jacks.

L

Guest Ray Davis

Sounds like your leveling is hydraulic jacks only. So in that case rather than dumping air thru the 6 pack I think he may have a solenoid that lets the air out. Others have mentioned their solenoid being mounted above the generator and found the exhaust stopped up by dirt daubers or just stuck inside.  If stuck you may be able to free it up by spraying WD 40 in the ports/

On 4/11/2023 at 3:27 PM, ktloah said:

I use the beads and never had a problem, 35k on these Toyo M144's and ride down the road just fine

Hi All

Seems there are so many variables and I am way out of my depth here........ I'll have to find a shop who can tell me what I have.

Thank you all kindly for all the help.

Les

8 hours ago, Les Hurdle said:

Hi Folks,

I will check the 'ride' secction, but will that give me the measurements for when the bags are down?

I have air suspension and 'manual' [hydraulic] jacks.

I'm just terrified of not being 'down' and stretching airbags when I raise up via jacks.

`

L

Not sure I know what you mean by "stretch" the air bags but if i raise my coach on the hydraulic jacks with out dumping the air first the ride height valve releases air in an attempt to lower the coach to ride height.