Jump to content

Moving to New York


Military RVer
 Share

Recommended Posts

So as some of you know, I have a family of 5 including myself and are FT RVers, well we were. We are wanting to get back into it, after we finish our RV remodel, but I am hitting roadblocks left and right. It seems that most if not all RV campsites are seasonal and shut down during the winter. Does anyone happen to know of locations in NY near Fort Drum that are year-round? Or any where I could park the RV and live out of there? Thank you all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you will be hard pressed to find anything there. Even the base park is only May to Oct. It is VERY cold and windy during the long winter months at Fort Drum! You will find it hard to keep an RV close to warm even with propane heat running the whole time (not to mention, very expensive) and the water pipes will freeze. That's why they all close mid October. In the whole state of Vermont, I think there are only two or three places that try to stay open during the winter. Upstate NY will be the same thing. And if you do find something, be prepared to shovel off your roof of deep snow. Watertown area is notorious for lake effect snow! Good luck finding something . .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The true "snow belt" really starts south of Watertown.  Getting around Evans Mills you might find a farmer that has quit farming and sold some of his fan land for house lots.  So maybe he has an empty barn/tool shed that could provide some servere weather protection.  As cold as it will get, you won't have water + sewer hooked up anyway.  Maybe an unused hay barn close to the milk house, and might find full phase (both legs) in the breaker box as hot water heater/milk cooler/vac pump/gutter cleaner/etc would have had nice demands.

Just a crazy idea thinking outside the box, but I would probably try to get base housing.

Fwiw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2020 at 12:22 AM, amphi_sc said:

The true "snow belt" really starts south of Watertown.  Getting around Evans Mills you might find a farmer that has quit farming and sold some of his fan land for house lots.  So maybe he has an empty barn/tool shed that could provide some servere weather protection.  As cold as it will get, you won't have water + sewer hooked up anyway.  Maybe an unused hay barn close to the milk house, and might find full phase (both legs) in the breaker box as hot water heater/milk cooler/vac pump/gutter cleaner/etc would have had nice demands.

Just a crazy idea thinking outside the box, but I would probably try to get base housing.

Fwiw

Yea... it's starting to look that way. The wife is more inclined to even leave Martha here now and come back in June to pick her up.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, 6Wheels said:

Can you secure a site on base?

Some of these facilities are nicer than civilian.

Securing a site on post is a no go. The on post rv lots are seasonal and they do not allow you to stay there for more than 60 days.

On 10/6/2020 at 10:41 AM, SteveJ said:

I think you will be hard pressed to find anything there. Even the base park is only May to Oct. It is VERY cold and windy during the long winter months at Fort Drum! You will find it hard to keep an RV close to warm even with propane heat running the whole time (not to mention, very expensive) and the water pipes will freeze. That's why they all close mid October. In the whole state of Vermont, I think there are only two or three places that try to stay open during the winter. Upstate NY will be the same thing. And if you do find something, be prepared to shovel off your roof of deep snow. Watertown area is notorious for lake effect snow! Good luck finding something . .

Thank you. But unfortunately, it seems the wife would rather live in on post housing even though we miss being full timers. I truly believe I can make Martha hot and toasty in the winter and be fully self sufficient without the need to bundle up inside as that is her biggest scare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Military RVer said:

Yea... it's starting to look that way. The wife is more inclined to even leave Martha here now and come back in June to pick her up.

Securing a site on post is a no go. The on post rv lots are seasonal and they do not allow you to stay there for more than 60 days.

Thank you. But unfortunately, it seems the wife would rather live in on post housing even though we miss being full timers. I truly believe I can make Martha hot and toasty in the winter and be fully self sufficient without the need to bundle up inside as that is her biggest scare.

Don't bet on it in those temperatures. There is just not enough wall or roof thickness in an RV to get a decent R value and even if you underpin it the wind will still carry the heat away at an alarming rate. You might keep from freezing but I don't think you will be warm and toasty. Also keep in mind what would happen if there was a power failure for an extended period of time. Every water line in the coach would freeze plus the batteries. Don't get me started on portable propane heaters, bad plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...