Inverter/charger

Well I think my inverter took a dump last week while on a hunting trip!
I have a 2002 Windsor with a Trace RV 2012 and while watching a movie one night the monitor board lights started going out, then the lights for holding tanks and propane all stopped working ...  the generator was running and keeping batteries charged and the furnace fan was on but nothing else was ..I am just assuming it was it's time to go after 18 years ! ??
Checked the basement and you could smell the burnt electrical from the inverter area ...the light was blinking on it and I flipped it off and that was the last of it !!
The tv remained running at the time of all this ...but it quit soon ...now none of the plug ins are hot except one in the basement that works while the generator is running ... and the monitor for the charging system on the panel works .

I have found a replacement Inverter (RV3012) is this an ok choice for replacement for what I have or should I keep looking ?

I'd recommend you replace your Trace inverter with a Magnum.  Monaco switched to Magnum inverters in 2006. 

Magnum inverters are made in the US and have great tech support and parts readily available.  Magnum inverters also have a three year parts and labor warranty.

A Magnum ME2012 will install with a minimum of rewiring (you will need a new longer ground cable).  If you need a pure sine inverter (required for some electronics and residential refrigerators) then a Magnum MS2012 will work well.  

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/mobile-power-products/inverter-chargers?field_input_current_tid_selective[]=89&field_output_power_watts_value[min]=200&field_output_power_watts_value[max]=15000&field_output_frequency_value_selective[]=2&field_output_voltage_value_selective[]=1

This place has great prices on Magnum inverters.  i also saw one of the marine supply places had them on sale.  

https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energy-ME2012-p/me2012.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt62FpsLD7AIVBInICh314QDTEAMYASAAEgIOkfD_BwE

Edited by vito.a
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jacwjames said:

One issue you may have is that the RV2012 uses 12 awg wire on the AC side while the RV3012 uses 10 awg.   Not sure if by just leaving the 20 amp breakers will be good enough to protect the system.  I'm sure others will chime in.

Thanks for the reply !!
My son is an electrician I will have him check it out and see What kind of a job it would be  if I go this route ..
again thanks !! 

20 hours ago, vito.a said:

I'd recommend you replace your Trace inverter with a Magnum.  Monaco switched to Magnum inverters in 2006. 

Magnum inverters are made in the US and have great tech support and parts readily available.  Magnum inverters also have a three year parts and labor warranty.

A Magnum ME2012 will install with a minimum of rewiring (you will need a new longer ground cable).  If you need a pure sine inverter (required for some electronics and residential refrigerators) then a Magnum MS2012 will work well.  

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/mobile-power-products/inverter-chargers?field_input_current_tid_selective[]=89&field_output_power_watts_value[min]=200&field_output_power_watts_value[max]=15000&field_output_frequency_value_selective[]=2&field_output_voltage_value_selective[]=1

This place has great prices on Magnum inverters.  i also saw one of the marine supply places had them on sale.  

https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energy-ME2012-p/me2012.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt62FpsLD7AIVBInICh314QDTEAMYASAAEgIOkfD_BwE

Thank you for the info on the Magnums ...I will do some research on them !

I was kinda hoping that I wouldn't need to change things up ... But sounds like either way there will be some changes if I can't find the right one to put back in !
And again Thanks for the reply !!

On 10/20/2020 at 6:19 AM, Charlie 02 Windsor said:

Well I think my inverter took a dump last week while on a hunting trip!
I have a 2002 Windsor with a Trace RV 2012 and while watching a movie one night the monitor board lights started going out, then the lights for holding tanks and propane all stopped working ...  the generator was running and keeping batteries charged and the furnace fan was on but nothing else was ..I am just assuming it was it's time to go after 18 years ! ??
Checked the basement and you could smell the burnt electrical from the inverter area ...the light was blinking on it and I flipped it off and that was the last of it !!
The tv remained running at the time of all this ...but it quit soon ...now none of the plug ins are hot except one in the basement that works while the generator is running ... and the monitor for the charging system on the panel works .

I have found a replacement Inverter (RV3012) is this an ok choice for replacement for what I have or should I keep looking ?

Where are you located?  PM me if you're interested in a slightly used Magnum ME2012 and RC50 control panel, which I replaced with Victron 3000 inverter/charger when I installed my residential refrigerator and Battle Born LiFePo batteries.

Did you put in the 3012? Is the problem solved? The Trace is a special type of inverter with the two lines but mine was wired with 10 awg on input and output. The newer inverters do not have any noticeable transfer delay which is sweet.

I bought a Victron from Amazon and sent it back. It sounds great but mine overloaded the generator every time, like 9 times to where my generator failed. If I wanted to learn it it could be good but I'm not there these days. I called the support and he wanted me to install the software so he could get into my network and set it up. I said no. The wiring connections are tight. I bought a Magnum and even they promise the world until you read the manual closely and see it is not what they claim but the Magnum is robust. I went with the 4000 watt 24 volt. I plug in a IOTA 30 amp power supply for the 12 volt circuit. Without a separate battery. Works good just like an appliance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 11:44 PM, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

No, but I should have!  I bought a Victron to save $1K, only to find out it’s built-in AGS can’t start an Onan without three additional relays that I’m still trying to figure out.  Also, the AC Out 2 is not inverted, so I had to move the Microwave to AC Out 1.

As far as I can tell there are only a couple options that have 2 legs of AC in and 2 legs of AC out like the old RV2012. That's a big factor that pushed me to the Magnum MS2012. It's as direct of a swap as you'll find and doesn't require any major rewiring or reconfiguration or AC or DC. Almost the same footprint, same basic wiring requirements with connections in similar locations.

AGS was the hardest part. The magnum AGS requires a wire that Trace didn't use, and finding that wire in the Monaco harness was an adventure.

Cheers,

Walter 

Edited by wamcneil