Aladdin loosing power

Yoaks5

New to me 2004 HR Navigator. Just got this coach a couple weeks ago and are having trouble with the Aladdin shutting down. Driving along (this has happened in the drive way with the motor running also) with all systems working and the screen goes to text saying something like "key shut off system shutting down in 10 seconds" followed by a count down and the screen shuts off. I can power it back on with the joy stick and everything will work but the engine data will display all X's. I also have a Bluefire plugged into the front data port (6 pin) by steering wheel which is displayed on an I pad. When the Aladdin shuts off it will freeze the bluefire/ipad screen and I don't get any more data out of it. I have to shut the key off and back on again and both systems will come back to life. I have checked connection under the dash panel where the Aladdin module is and don't see anything wrong. 

Just wondered if anyone has had this type of issue before? My main concern is the data port going off also. Is it wired threw the Aladdin? I wouldn't think an aladdin issue would have any impact on it. I'm wondering if the key switch could be bad? Guessing I have a short somewhere but how to track it down? Any and all thought or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks Kevin

• 3 months later...

Wanted to post an update incase someone else has this issue. I tested the plugs using these instructions

https://www.diesellaptops.com/blogs/news/troubleshooting-j1708-connections#:~:text=What you will want to,both Pins A and B. And found I had a bad ground. I had my son watch the meter while I wiggled wires and we found a broken ground wire on the starter. Once I repaired that seams to have fixed it. 

On 11/20/2020 at 8:29 AM, Yoaks5 said:

New to me 2004 HR Navigator. Just got this coach a couple weeks ago and are having trouble with the Aladdin shutting down. Driving along (this has happened in the drive way with the motor running also) with all systems working and the screen goes to text saying something like "key shut off system shutting down in 10 seconds" followed by a count down and the screen shuts off. I can power it back on with the joy stick and everything will work but the engine data will display all X's. I also have a Bluefire plugged into the front data port (6 pin) by steering wheel which is displayed on an I pad. When the Aladdin shuts off it will freeze the bluefire/ipad screen and I don't get any more data out of it. I have to shut the key off and back on again and both systems will come back to life. I have checked connection under the dash panel where the Aladdin module is and don't see anything wrong. 

Just wondered if anyone has had this type of issue before? My main concern is the data port going off also. Is it wired threw the Aladdin? I wouldn't think an aladdin issue would have any impact on it. I'm wondering if the key switch could be bad? Guessing I have a short somewhere but how to track it down? Any and all thought or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks Kevin

Unplug the Bluefire to see if that cures your problem.  Chuck B

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of sorry to read of the solution you found.  I'm glad you got it fixed, but was hoping it was something different.  I didn't associate the loss of Aladdin with the locking up of my BlueFire app until it read this post.  I just installed the BlueFire on a new Tablet, because I had been having problems with it maintaining BT connection with my old tablet.  I experienced the same thing.  I thought I was loosing power somehow, since it affected the BlueFire and the Aladdin at the same time.  I've had the BlueFire adapter installed for a couple years, but never got it to work reliably with my old tablet.  It seemed to maintain BT connection fine, even overnight, without the engine running.  But on my trip here, it would loose connection within minutes of getting data.  The Aladdin would show the shutting down screen at the same time.  I'd just the joystick to bring the Aladdin back on, and I've have to exit the app and restart the BlueFire App which would fault again after a minute or so after reconnecting.  Couldn't do much troubleshooting while driving.  I didn't associate the two until your post.  Are you now up and running without incident with the BlueFire now?

Yes both the Bluefire and alladin are working great. We took a trip down to gulf shores (from des moines) about 24 hours driving total and it never shut off or lost bluefire connection once. I would check the ground wires on your starter first that's where mine was broken. It was broken inside the insulation and not visible. Mine had a white wire going off the back of the 9 pin data port located by the chassis batteries that was grounded to the starter terminal. 

Good luck!