TPMS - fireside chat

On 12/10/2020 at 8:13 AM, Bob Nodine said:

I rotate my own tires on our vehicles and wonder how the system knows the tire position. Just the other day when I got the two low pressure alarms the display matched the position with the lowest PSI. It is possible on the truck that I had landed all four tires back to the original OEM position but I have only rotated the tires once on the Sonic so not possible there. I rotate using the modified X method and the front tires move to the rear on the same side and the rears move to the front reversing sides. Over the years we have been plagued with tires making a noise after 7 or 8 thousand miles because they develop a scallop. Once this happens no amount of rotating with stop the noise and the only solution is to purchase new tires. For that reason I rotate tires every 5000 miles. Another hard lesson learned is that on vehicles with stability control - which is almost every vehicle sold now- you must replace all four tires at the same time. Any difference in diameter between the front and back tires will drive the control system crazy. 

It's actually recommended to move the rears to the front on the same side, and cross the fronts to the rear.
I suspect this is to keep any temporary vibration from the cords reacting to the reversed rotation from showing up in the steering.

rpasetto

If you have a 510 system, the 507 sensors will not work. As a matter of fact, none of the components are interchangeable. We have not had the 510 system for several years and we are no longer supporting it unless the system is still under warranty. If you have 507 sensors (ones you can change the battery in) the new display will work. It is backwards compatible will any 507 sensor.

JimG
2006 Camelot

6 hours ago, Bob Nodine said:

Modern radial tires can be moved to the opposite side of the vehicle and rotated in the reverse direction. By using the modified X pattern each tire will spend time at each wheel position of the vehicle and eliminate the heal/toe wear pattern. We are talking about passenger and light truck tires here. I don't know about the heavy duty tires and never rotate tire on the motorhome.

Most of us will never wear out tires on our coaches, they age out first.
I don't worry about rotating them myself and have never noticed any unusual wear.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:47 PM, Hotrod said:

That may vary by tire model and manufacturer. I believe with the Michelin xza2’s that I run it is not supposed to matter. But the only rotation I have ever done is to retire steer tires based on time and put them on the right drive wheel as a pair. 

bill g 06 dynasty

Edited by Paul A.

1 hour ago, dl_racing427 said:

Most of us will never wear out tires on our coaches, they age out first.
I don't worry about rotating them myself and have never noticed any unusual wear.

Amen. The only tires I ever had on my coach that wore out were the Badyears which rivered something fierce after 15,000 miles. I went back to Goodyear and they denied my claim blaming my coach. Looking back it was a blessing in disguise as I probably would have had an eventual blowout.

You have to drive a lot of miles to wear out the tires on a coach. They always get changed out due to age and not wear.

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2020 at 8:13 AM, Bob Nodine said:

I rotate my own tires on our vehicles and wonder how the system knows the tire position. Just the other day when I got the two low pressure alarms the display matched the position with the lowest PSI. It is possible on the truck that I had landed all four tires back to the original OEM position but I have only rotated the tires once on the Sonic so not possible there. I rotate using the modified X method and the front tires move to the rear on the same side and the rears move to the front reversing sides. Over the years we have been plagued with tires making a noise after 7 or 8 thousand miles because they develop a scallop. Once this happens no amount of rotating with stop the noise and the only solution is to purchase new tires. For that reason I rotate tires every 5000 miles. Another hard lesson learned is that on vehicles with stability control - which is almost every vehicle sold now- you must replace all four tires at the same time. Any difference in diameter between the front and back tires will drive the control system crazy. 

On our Jeep Cherokee and RAM pickups, the dealer told us it takes about a mile+/- for the sensors to detect the correct tires.   Not sure how, but I suspect there are more than one detector so the TPMS can locate sensor by distance, direction or both.

By the way, tire rotation for our vehicles, all 4WDs, calls for moving rears to front and crossing front to back, the "forward-cross" method.

image.png.f175d261cad6bb30a6440c654091f721.png

18 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

It's actually recommended to move the rears to the front on the same side, and cross the fronts to the rear.
I suspect this is to keep any temporary vibration from the cords reacting to the reversed rotation from showing up in the steering.

David and Rick,

Yes, that is correct and that is how I started out but somehow on the last two vehicles got it reversed. In thinking about it I assume the fronts swap sides first is because on most vehicles the heal/toe wear is caused by the toe on the steer tires and those are the first tires that should have their direction reversed. I will have to mend my ways. Although we did have a Honda CRV that would develop an unbearable noise from heal/toe wear on the rears only. On that vehicle we swapped sides on the rear tires only every 3000 miles. If we did not do that we were soon buying new tires. I even had a shop change the rear end toe alignment form OEM but it only helped slightly. We were told that heal/toe wear on the rear of the CRV was caused by towing it behind the motorhome. That is also the vehicle I learned the hard way about putting new tires at one axle only on a vehicle with stability control.

I was thinking about how the vehicle can know which tire position a pressure reading is from yesterday and came to the same conclusion that Rick did. If the range of the sensor is designed to around 2 feet and there is a pickup antenna for each wheel position the system would be able to know where the pressure reading emanates from. Also if the sensor in the wheel used a piezoelectricity device that generated current from wheel rotation the sensor would not require a battery. These are just guesses on my part and maybe someone who knows how these systems are designed will chime in.