belt tensioner

looking to see if anyone has a Part number for a belt tensioner for a 2003 HR endeavor 8.3 cummins, I tried quick serve, then cummins... they gave me a part number they thought would cross, I pulled the old one off... not the one. I can get the name off the old one however the only number is a casting number. was hoping someone here may have had a similar issue that had a valid part number. thank you

Guest Ray Davis

I took my tensioner, belts, and misc parts to NAPA and they matched them right up.

BTW an organization mentioned on here sometime ago ( AITA ) https://aitaonline.com/ (Americas Independent Truckers Association) saved me a quick 25% IRCC.     That percentage seems to vary with the store, particular part and the person waiting on you.  Anyway the organization is free to join and works fine for RVers as well as truckers.

Edited by Ray Davis

So far I have tried a few different part #s the only one that has been "close" was what I received from the Dayco website, they did not have a listing for 2003 but they did have one for a 2004 HR endeavor which was a 89481 Dayco. However with that one the "timing" of the locating tab was off enough to think the difference would be too much to achieve proper tightness of the belt. So for now I have reinstalled the original one so I can move the coach and as soon as the holiday is over I plan on reaching out to the Mfg. to see if they can cross the old #s. I will say this adventure has made me understand just how many options that are out there. I suspect sense the #s stamped on the old tensioner may relate to the special specific design adapted for this application rather that a "regular" part for the engine family. Soon as I get more info I will update the post 

Here is another Day I part number you might try, Dayco 3936213.

I can't vouch for correctness as I simply ran across this number while searching. You are correct to suspect the different timing of the tensioner you tried. If too loose it will not do the job and if too tight it will fatigue and break down the rubber in the tensioner quickly (from experience)!

-Jamie

So I have spent WAY more time on this project than I had wanted, I ended up calling Dayco this AM and ended up talking with Jerry, he was able to cross my old pn to the current model used. SJAMIEJONES was correct it originally was a 3936213 dayco, however with all the updates it is now a Dayco 89481 which is now the most correct for my application, I spoke to him on how I saw difference in the girth of its base as well as its not having the wear bushing on the base that attaches to the retainer of the engine. He spoke of the specifications that modified the reason for the upgrade in keeping debris out of the tensioner as well as now using a better sealed bearing. Soooooo now its off to find my part, Thank you for everyones input, there were so many options where parts people said there parts were correct according to there parts book, it just pays to trust your gut when you see a difference no one can explain.