97 Monaco Dynasty GEN Slide HYD RAM R&R

F16fan

Here is the procedure to remove and replace (R&R) the Generator Slide Hydraulic RAM Cylinder on the 97 Monaco Dynasty. I paid $330 for the 1” X 2” rebuild kit ($30.00) and labor ($300) at Carter Hydraulics in Aledo Tx. Charles had his done for around $250.00 down near Waco TX. a few years ago. I think if you shop around, you can probably get it done for around $300.00. If anyone here has performed a R&R your coach or knows the original Monaco Part Number or the Wen original part number, please make suggestions/corrections to the procedure, and I will update so we can help others in the future.

Gen Slide HYD Cylinder Removal & Replace (R&R) Instructions for 1997 Monaco Dynasty RV

1. Removal of Leaking Hydraulic Cylinder
      1. Materials Needed:
        1. Spray can of penetrating oil.
        2. Spray can of engine cleaner/degreaser.
        3. Shop Towels.
        4. Several unfolded large cardboard boxes.
      2. Tools Required:
        1. 1 1/8” Combination Wrench.
        2. 1 1/8” Deep socket & Socket Wrench.
        3. 15 mm Combination Wrench.
        4. Large Vice Grip.
        5. Clean 5-gallon bucket.
        6. Safety googles
      3. Procedure:
        1. Using RV leveling jacks, Extend Front Jack completely.
        2. Access to repair is under the front center of RV. Lay unfolded big boxes under front center of RV.
        3. Crawl under RV and Spray penetrating oil on the two 1 1/8” nuts and threads on both ends of the HYD Cylinder. Use of the spray engine degreaser may be necessary, if the fasteners to be removed are not visible and covered in grease. There are:
          1. Four (4) 1 1/8” Nuts holding the HYD Cylinder onto the frame/slide. Allow at least 20 minutes to soak in.
        4. Place 5-gallon bucket under Front HYD line, and remove line with 15 mm Combination Wrench. Drain fluid into 5-gallon bucket, and clean end with shop towels, and move pointing up, away from HYD Cylinder.
        5. Move 5-gallon bucket under Rear HYD line, and remove line with 15 mm Combination Wrench. Drain fluid into 5-gallon bucket, and clean end with shop towels, and move pointing up, away from HYD Cylinder.
        6. Use 1 1/8” Deep socket & Socket Wrench, and remove nut on HYD Cylinder mount bolt facing rear of coach.
        7. Place Large Vice Grip on the front threaded area of HYD Cylinder. WARNING: Place Large Vice Grip, away from front two (2) Jam nuts, or damaged threads will not allow for losing nuts.
        8. Use 1 1/8” Combination Wrench to remove front nut, while holding Vice Grip, so the HYD Ram will not rotate. Leave the two (2) Jam nuts in place.
        9. Push GEN Slide out slightly, until HYD Ram is free from mounting bracket. The HYD Cylinder front Ram can now rest on metal cross brace.
        10. Remove HYD Cylinder by moving forward, so that rear bolt mount clears mounting bracket, and place on ground.
        11. Now move rearward and lower front Ram to ground.
  1. Replacing Re-Built Hydraulic Cylinder
      1. Materials Needed:
        1. Shop Towels.
        2. Dexron VI Automatic Transmission Fluid
      2. Tools Required:
        1. 1 1/8” Combination Wrench.
        2. 1 1/8” Deep socket & Socket Wrench.
        3. 15 mm Combination Wrench.
        4. Large Vice Grip.
        5. Safety googles
        6. Funnel with very long Flexible neck.
      3. Procedure:
        1. Place Repaired HYD Cylinder on ground, under center front of RV.
        2. Lift Front of Ram up, and place on metal cross support.
        3. Lift Rear of Cylinder up, and insert threaded mount bolt through rear mounting bracket.
        4. Install and tighten rear nut, with 1 1/8” Deep socket & Socket Wrench.
        5. Move GEN Slide forward, and lift Front Ram thread mount into bracket.
        6. Place Large Vice Grip on the front threaded area of HYD Cylinder. Warning: place Large Vice Grip, away from front two (2) Jam nuts, or damaged threads will not allow for losing nuts.
        7. Install and tighten Front nut, with 1 1/8” Combination Wrench, while holding Vice Grip, so the HYD Ram will not rotate.
        8. NOTE: When front of threaded Ram bolt makes contact with front of bracket, it is in proper position. No Adjustment of Jam Nuts is necessary.
        9. Re-attach Front HYD line with 15 mm Combination Wrench.
        10. Re-attach Rear HYD line with 15 mm Combination Wrench.
        11. Raise front RV leveling jack, leave down 6” from full retract, and leave system on.
        12. Fill front HYD tank with Dexron VI Automatic Transmission Fluid using Funnel with very long Flexible neck, following instructions from RV Owner’s Manual:
          1. Unscrew the reservoir cap located on the pump.
          2. Fill the reservoir with fluid until the warning bell goes off.
          3. Replace the reservoir cap.
        13. Now fully retract front leveling jack.
        14. Run GEN Slide in and out several times.
        15. NOTE: To avoid damage to GEN Slide HYD Pump, wait several minutes between sliding out GEN Slide fully, and retracting fully.
        16. Repeat if necessary, until GEN Slide moves smoothly in and out.
  2. Videos:

GEN Slide HYD RAM.jpg

1997 Monaco Dynasty Gen Slide HYD RAM R&R.pdf 97 Monaco Dynasty GEN Slide HYD RAM.pdf 1997 Monaco Dynasty Generator Hydraulic Slide.pdf

Fantastic write-up!  Thanks.

Perhaps there are huge variations in different hydraulic repair companies.  I hope some of you are as fortunate as I was.  My system on a 2000 Dynasty was an HWH.  I used a shop near me in Sanford, NC.  I disassembled the cylinder and took the end cap and piston/rod to them.  They replaced the end cap wiper and seal, and the piston seals.  Total cost was about $15.  I reassembled the cylinder myself.

9 minutes ago, vanwill52 said:

Fantastic write-up!  Thanks.

Perhaps there are huge variations in different hydraulic repair companies.  I hope some of you are as fortunate as I was.  My system on a 2000 Dynasty was an HWH.  I used a shop near me in Sanford, NC.  I disassembled the cylinder and took the end cap and piston/rod to them.  They replaced the end cap wiper and seal, and the piston seals.  Total cost was about $15.  I reassembled the cylinder myself.

Not as good deal as yours but I had 2 of my slide cylinders rebuilt in Plano, TX for $200 total, same day turnaround. Tnere still are reasonable places to get it done.