Air Horn

powersltc

23 hours ago, tcbrow said:

Here's a tip regarding air horns. When you settle in for the night put a "chip clip" on the switch so it won't go off when the cat steps on the switch at 5 am like mine did.

Our 2 cats are gone now to be with their brothers and sisters in heaven.  But we have had that same experience when the cats used the steering wheel to climb onto the dash as night.  Stay safe, Stay well, Safe travels

On my Trek, I have to "wake up" the horn every day when I'm driving or else it doesn't work when I need it.  After hitting the horn button 5 or 10 times, it starts working and will give a blast every time I press the button.  I suspect the solenoid valve is sticking.  If I knew where it was, I'd try getting a little silicone in it's air line before replacing it.  I guess moisture builds up inside the air line over the years and causes problems.

Sorry to hear replacing the solenoid didn't fix your problem.  I found these cleaning instructions for the solenoid and figured I might as well post them for others reading this post.

How to Clean the Solenoid Valve.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Moonwink for this information as the air horn in my Dynasty has stopped working.  I will try this cleaning procedure as well as check the electrical connections on the solenoid as recommended by others. Thanks again.

A friend stored his RV outside.  Eventually the air horns failed.  We found that the horns themselves were plugged up by dirt dobber nests.  We sprayed water into the outlet of the horns, washed the nests out, removed the horn diaphrams and cleaned them.  After reassembly the horns worked once more.

Bob Raffety

2005 Monaco Dynasty

Edited by Bob R
misspelling corrections

Hello.

Ron P.  2004 Monaco Executive 

I changed out my air solenoid.  Tested the horn and nothing happened.   A couple days later,  I got on the road to go to Bethany Beach.   Hit the horn and it works.   I'll see what happens Wednesday when I pull out. 

Well, my horn is still working.   Swapping out the air solenoid must have done the trick.   

Thanks everyone for your assistance.