NATIONWIDE GLASS (AGIS)

So, for what it's worth, I had nationwide arrange for a new windshield a few months back. During the install, the tech had to remove the mirror, not done on 3 before, and over did the caulking and adhesive when installing. I've been advised that the one piece large windows should float in the rubber grommet around the windshield with very little if any sealant.  Their answer, is "this is the way we do it."  That being said, while auto leveling front down first as I've done for 13 years, the bottom right corner shattered and came off the frame. Similar to a stress situation but in my opinion caused by the rigidity of the windshield install.  NOW NATIONWIDE IS DENYING CULPABILITY AND NOT WARRANTYING MY WINDSHIELD.  just an FYI for anyone  considering nationwide in the future.  

Joel, sorry to hear about your issue with Nationwide but I had similar problems with them. They refused to replace a windshield that came off the delivery truck broken and wouldn't even get involved with the delivery service to fight for me. I took them to the state insurance watchdog and that too was a waste of time (our tax dollars at work!). I ended up purchasing a new windshield out of pocket. I can't recommend Nationwide for RV insurance under any circumstances.

I'm interested as I'm insured through Nationwide. They are one of only a few who underwrite full timer insurance. That said, AFAIK they do NOT have their own glass installers. Am I mistaken? If you had an independent company install the windshield then it would seem your issue lies with them. Now understand I'm not a lawyer and don't pretend to be. I'm just average joe thinking out loud. It would seem to be reasonable that Nationwide would ASSIST you with your claim against the installation company but dunno. I looked at my coverage and it simply said they'd pay to have the windshield replaced. When mine broke, I was insured with Geico and they told me to hire someone and they'd pay the bill, which is what I did. Of course, mine was installed properly and I've had no issues with it. The installer did tell me the rubber gasket is on it's last legs and will have to be included in the next windshield install. I made Nationwide aware of that via chat when I contracted with them so I have written evidence tey were aware prior to insuring me. Each State has an insurance commission which oversees the insurance industry. Perhaps a call to them would get some satisfaction or at least get the ball rolling. Keep us posted. Provide more details and I'll check with my agent to see what she says......Dennis

Dennis, this is not nationwide insurance company it's nationwide RV Glass.  They go thru satellite glass or local glass companies and hook up the Rv'er with a local company to fix and install.  They do the warranty and get a piece of the bill to broker the repair.  I don't think they are associated with nationwide Ins. 

1 hour ago, Joelsheriff said:

Dennis, this is not nationwide insurance company it's nationwide RV Glass.  They go thru satellite glass or local glass companies and hook up the Rv'er with a local company to fix and install.  They do the warranty and get a piece of the bill to broker the repair.  I don't think they are associated with nationwide Ins. 

Ah ok. THAT makes ME feel better although it really doesn't help YOU. Sorry for your experience. Did your insurance company pay for the repair? If so, they are the ones that should be fighting your battle. I'll have to research Nationwide RV Glass...thanks...Dennis

On edit: Looks like they are on Fakebook and Twitster.... I say we light em up.!!!! Dennis

Edited by Dennis H

Well, my issue WAS with Nationwide insurance, not Nationwide Glass. They did not have their own glass installers so they asked me for a recommendation. I suggested a vendor that I had previously dealt with and they checked him out and then arranged everything with no further involvement from me. Additionally, as Dennis suggested, I went to the state commissioner and that was a total waste of time. They didn't even bother to contact me for information; again, our tax dollars at work!

You have to understand that when you make a claim for glass or windshield damage with your insurance, all they are required do is to approve and pay for the replacement. The insurance company does not guaranty the installation or warranty the replacement glass. That is the responsibility of the installer and/or the glass company the installer purchased the windshield from.

The insurance company will either provide you with a company that can do the installation or allow you to pick a company that you prefer. The insurance company is not responsible for the quality of the work performed nor do they warranty the installation, that is the responsibility of the company that does the installation. If the windshield comes to the installer and is broken, he will have to file a claim with the transport company to get reimbursed for the damage and order another windshield. that is not the responsibility of the  insurance company. If the windshield breaks or cracks after installation that falls back on the Installer, not the Insurance company.

I can Feel your Pain, but you have to understand how the glass replacement works with your insurance company. I just had to replace the windshield in my Foretravel because of a rock hit.

First thing I did was call Foretravel because the windshield in my coach is glued in like your automobile and is not held in with a Rubber Seal, I wanted to find out where I could get the windshield replaced. Foretravel explained that I would have to either bring it to the factory or fortunately they had a service center here in Florida that was certified to do the replacement. I contacted them and he told me to file a claim wish my insurance company and give the insurance company his information and have them contact him.

Most insurance company's use a third party to handle glass claims. In my case it was Duncan out of Elkhart, IN.They use Safe-Lite as there preferred installer. Safe Lite Told Duncan that they could not do a windshield replacement on a Foretravel Coach.. After two weeks of trying to find a company that would do the installation they finally called the service center I gave them. It took over three weeks for the insurance company to give the service center approval.

The Service Center would not schedule me in for the replacement until they received the windshield and inspected it for any damage. Foretravel manufactures their own windshields at their factory in Texas and as explained to me the windshield would be shipped directly from the factory to him. when he received the windshield undamaged, he scheduled me in for the replacement. He said the replace would take 3-4 days. One day to take the old windshield out. another day to grind out and clean up the windshield frame and the third day to install the new windshield and at least 24 hours for the sealer to cure.

The new windshield is installed, on time and the claim is paid.

Wow, David, thank goodness I don't have to go thru that this is my fourth replacement. Two outside damage, one my doing with an inside object on dash and the fourth when leveling.   With with the cost of that coach why don't they have accommodations for the owner. You'd think  they'd have someone come to your location to do it. Well stay safe y'all and let's stop busting windshields.  And yes BTW, Geico is willing to pay but being of principles I fight even where even when won't do the proper thing. 

In almost twenty years that we have been RV'ing this is my first windshield that I had to replace. Because the windshield does not use a rubber seal to hold it in place it takes someone with the expertise and knowledge to replace it. It is a Flush Fit Windshield and is glued in like an automobile windshield. The Newell coach also uses this type of Windshield.

The only reason it took so long to get it replaced was due to the fact that Duncan had no records of any Foretrave'ls in their parts list and could not find a replacement windshield with any of their vendors. When I finally convinced them that they would have to go through Foretravel everything went smooth. I was prepared to take the coach to Texas to get the windshield replaced at the factory.

Fortunately Foretravel had a service center in Leesburg, Florida that was able to do it. Once they received approval from the insurance company everything moved along quickly.

The windshields that are held in with the rubber seal can be replace just about anywhere.

Great thing about living in Florida is that there is no deductable on Glass replacement. I was not disappointed about the time it took to get it replaced other than Duncan's insistence that one of their vendor could do it and they all told Duncan they were not equipped or skilled to do it.

It is done and I am a happy camper.

Guest Ray Davis

David,  I think you are fortunate that the vendors knew enough to back away.   Imagine what a mess they might make thinking it's just a windshield I can do it.

When I had my windshield replaced last year right after the Monacoers Gathering at Lazy Days, I had the option of using either Duncan or RV Glass Solutions / Coach Glass for the glass and installation. I chose RV Glass Solutions / Coach Glass in Oregon as they have an installation shop in Lakeland FL. They did an awesome job and I plan to use them to have some of my side glass panels that have lost their seal and have gotten stained in-between the glass panels replaced at a more convenient time. I highly recommend them.

I have Progressive for my coach insurance and they were VERY easy to deal with in getting the new windshield replacement process started.

Edited by Dr4Film